Memtest x86 question

Discussion in 'Memory' started by SilverBullet225, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SilverBullet225

SilverBullet225 Member

If I don't have an optical drive, and my PC locks up attempting to boot off a USB key, what's the best way to get Memtest x86 running?

2. issa2006

issa2006 Member

cd.. dl the iso+ burn it (then boot to cd)

3. aphasia

aphasia Member

there could be a few reasons why your PC locks up when booting from a USB device.

you may need to pull any other USB device connected and re-try or use a different USB port.
    sometimes other devices connected to your MB could be causing issues (PCI cards).
    have you tried a different USB flash drive? also a setting in your bios may be preventing you from booting from USB (enable/disable USB legacy support, EHCI support etc)

4. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

Optical or USB are the best ways to run memtest.
    That failing your other options are floppy disk or PXE (if you have the appropriate setup, if you have to ask then you don't have it).

5. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Is it locking up once memtest tries to load (blue screen with white writing) or before? If while loading, the memory could actually be causing it. If you have more than one SODIMM, try each one individually.

Worst case scenario, I'm sure someone here could lend you some memory to see if that's what's stopping memtest booting. Best of luck.

6. OP
    OP
    SilverBullet225

SilverBullet225 Member

The burning and booting off an ISO isn't an option, I don't have an optical drive.

The memory was tested before swaps, and the memory that came out of this was booted in the work laptop I stole the other memory from, it tested fine after.

I haven't any other USB devices plugged in, it's a netbook. I'm trying to clear the fact it's constantly and randomly bluescreening.

The laptop just beeps and shows black screen when I'm booting off the key.

I don't have to ask... I don't have it. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. aphasia

aphasia Member

sound like a setting in the BIOS (legacy/EHCI enable or disable) or an improperly formatted USB flash drive.

if you are able to eventually use your USB port to boot from, this is one of the best utils to load various ISO's from a flash drive (MultiBootISOs).
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/