Mesh WIFI advice

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by ryangus, Mar 28, 2019.

1. ryangus

ryangus Member

I've just moved into a 2 story timber house. The router (NBN supplied Huawei HG658 connected to HFC) is in one corner upstairs. Currently the connectivity is tolerable, but I haven't stress tested it yet, and assume it might be fairly ordinary. Most importantly, the pool area and the shed are some distance down the back, and I anticipate the wifi strength will be unacceptable for my needs.

So, I'm thinking a mesh device might be the best long-term option. I've watched some videos to get a basic understanding of the concept, but seek recommendations on which devices are worth buying.

Oh yeah, we use Google home devices throughout the house, if that means anything. I'm interested in maybe adding some smart devices such as lights down the track.

Naturally I'd like to keep costs as low as possible, but I want quality hardware and software that's easy to set up and use.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

2. Zee

Zee Member

Ubiquiti UniFi probably is a good start. Budget?

Z...

3. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Ubiquiti range are great. I've also used Google wifi's and they are stupid easy to setup and use.

4. OP
    OP
    ryangus

ryangus Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to spend as little as possible, but perhaps can justify the Ubiquiti. Just trying to find the best bang for buck, and the Ubiquiti seems to be one of the more expensive options, but possibly with more features. Need to research more and find some comparisons.

5. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Before you invest in big systems. You can also check out the xiaomi wifi extenders. They're $10 and might suit if you just need a small bump in range.

6. Azrael

Azrael Member

Rather than creating a new thread, this is probably an appropriate spot.

If one was to extend a Unifi AC Pro network with an AC Lite, does the entire AC band get throttled back to 867mbps, or just the downlink connections?