1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Metabox laptops any good?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Holdenkicks, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Hi guys I would like to hear from other owners of this brand of laptop what their thoughts and experiences have been and any issues or problems that they have had with the hardware from this laptop manufacturer. I am looking at buying the 650 model for about $2300

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Depends on the seller. The parts are fairly standard. The casing in some is sorta flimsy.

Personally I wouldn't. But that's just me.

3. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

They're rebadged Clevo laptops as far as I'm aware. I've got a Horize Ultranote and for the money it's brilliant and can't fault it. The build quality isn't the greatest on most models and the keyboards can be a little subpar but you certainly get bang for buck, and they always come with excellent displays.

4. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

5. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Exactly what I said. Metabox lsptops are sold by lots of people. Some shotty some not. I bought mine from logical blue one (apparently closed down now). Be careful with warranty. Thats my only word of advice. Oh and also build quality. Dont want a 2300 dollar laptop that feels flimsy.

6. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Thanks. Did your one have an alloy chassis or plastic?

7. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Plastic. The bezel was the most flimsy. Had to be very careful about where I opened it.

8. mils1

mils1 Member

9. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Thanks mils I will order one tomorrow

10. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Got the metabox Prime 650RE. What a great laptop! the full alloy chassis is sleek and sturdy and everything works flawlessly. So happy with it!

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

They're better than other laptops when upgrading.

12. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Indeed. This one supports 64gb ddr4 with 4 slots and 2x 2.5" hdd and 2x m2 ssd.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

14. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

Has anyone ever had cause to use the warranty or the "platinum care plan" they offer? Any customer service feedback? I just ordered a P650RE direct from Metabox, and so far their communication has been good. Hopefully will ship on Monday.

15. issa2006

issa2006 Member

was looking into 14 in one, put my own storage ram?

own o/s.

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i have 3 SSDs that i want to transfer over and i am told that if you don't have the ODD that the slot is perfect for another SSD without the need for a caddy.

17. anakinwy

anakinwy Member

I have a Metabox P151 purchased directly from Metabox, purchased in 2014 and it's been brilliant for the money thus far.

A few minor quibbles with it though:

- the BIOS features are extremely limited compared to some of the other machines out there on the market, you really don't have much scope to change things.

- the CPU fan's been know to go absolutely insane every once in a while and it takes a full hardware power cycle (NOT RESET) to get it to shut up

- onboard speakers are rubbish, absolutely weak as and when compared to the quality of other parts that make up the "guts" of the laptop it's very disappointing.

Having said all that, it powers 2 x 27" monitors at full resolution gaming with no issues with framerates. I can do 3D CAD development with no problems and I've hosted 3 - 4 virtual machines simulatenously without any issues as well. So it's a good machine for what I get.

18. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

That's good feedback. It's good to hear you've worked it out decently hard and that it's still keeping up after a couple of years. Fingers crossed mine will come in tomorrow.

19. colmaz

colmaz Member

Chiming in with my opinion

I've had the Metabox P650RE-G since late December and I've been very happy with the purchase. It definitely brings a shit eating grin to the face :D It took me about 2 months to finally settle on the Metabox after looking at the other options (MSI Ghost, Alienware, etc). If had been more/any ThunderBolt 3/non-proprietary GFX enclosures near the end of last year, I probably would have gone another direction.

The only niggles I have with it are:
    • When outputting via HDMI, the secondary monitor goes blank. I'm unsure if it's my laptop or a nVidia thing and I've tried a few different older driver versions, but I need to look into this issue a bit more.
    • The keyboard is a fingerprint magnet. The keys on the keyboard pick up every little bit of oil from my fingers and it is somewhat annoying to look at. I've ordered a keyboard cover off of eBay (Linky) and when it arrives, the keyboard is getting a good clean and we'll see how it goes.

That said, I'll probably upgrade this laptop in about 3 years as I'll want a new graphics card.

20. bennyg

bennyg Member

Dunno if Metabox do anything different to other Clevo resellers but in my experience they are great, powerful, well-designed machines. Plain design ethic andkeyboards appeal to some but not others. Like all manufacturers there's dud models, dud units, dud reviews (...and dud users) but IMO less of all for Clevo based units.

I'd trust their expensive models to last 3 years. I sold my p150hm (same basic chassis as p151) to my brother and he has reported no problem at all nearly 5 years old except a dead battery which is to be expected.

A lot of missing BIOS options are available aftermarket with flashing the Prema BIOS mod. Personally I've not felt the need and haven't bothered flashing it on either the p150 or current p170 but I plan to do so with a Win10 install soon.
    https://biosmods.wordpress.com/