1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Metabox laptops any good?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Holdenkicks, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i bet they just rebadge them since clevo is an ODM.

2. freshmania

freshmania Member

I have P650SE I bought more than a year ago.

It's an amazing beast. I love the built quality and I haven't had any problems.

But the battery lasts just over 2 hours for me. I use it for software development so it is mainly netbeans and a few chrome tabs.

The screen has 4K resolution. They dropped the 3K option, which what I originally wanted.
    Probably the battery would last a bit longer if it wasn't 4K.

3. _WearingPants

_WearingPants Member

Ordered a Metabox Prime P650RG-G today

4. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

So I've had my P650RE for about a month and its impressed me for work duties so far. I do a decent amount of graphic design / GIS work, so the extra grunt in the graphics department has proven useful for driving two big screens. A couple of observations for people considering this model in particular:

• Windows 7 won't install by USB on USB3.0 ports, so consider carefully your choice of operating system before deciding on your choice of Metabox model. I ordered an optical drive, but it obviously still requires the USB3 ports - so I went with Windows 10 to get it going, but I will be having a crack at injecting USB3 drivers into the Windows 7 install. There's a well documented method for this online, but it's an unexpected pain in the ass that could've been solved with more extensive research.
    • There's also an issue with the touchpad driver that causes it to spaz out intermittently. This has no impact upon one's ability to use a mouse (which I do), but it's unexpectedly annoying when using the trackpad. There is a work-around using a previous version of the same driver, but it requires some intervention to stop Windows from auto-updating it. A minor issue that is easily correctable or ignored.

Aside from these, it's performed flawlessly and I'd happily buy it again. In particular, I'm very happy with the screen quality - although there are a couple of places with noticeable backlight bleed in dark rooms, it's not a huge issue as I rarely use it without lights on. I opted for 16GB of RAM and an M2 SSD, which will be supplemented by a 1TB SSD data drive. I'm really hoping that these will enhance the longevity and pay a dividend over a few years in time gained through lower loading times and boot times.

Just wanted to add my two cents as I love the price/performance ratio with these.

5. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Thanks for chiming in I'm sure it will help others in future. I had to do the same thing with the older trackpad driver on windows ten. Love the p650re I got, build quality is up there with the best.

6. Alexjaames

Alexjaames Member

I Also have myself a Prime P650RE. Since around December last year (was a christmas present :p)

It has been great, although not much usage. I played a vast array of titles and have been thoroughly impressed with its performance.

I was lucky enough to grab the model with an M.2 drive and 500gb mech drive + the 2 year premium care.

Too many pros to list but my only con I can find; the screen (not the panel itself) but its so thin it comes across a little flimsy; this is a big nit pick for me as the rest of the machine is built beautifully.

IMO best laptop i have owned. :D

7. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

Bit of a follow-up for those interested - I'm still having a hellish time trying to get Windows 7 onto the P650RE. The issue isn't really to do with Metabox, the problem is that Windows 7 has no native support for USB3.0 and the P650RE has only USB3.0 ports.

I've tried several methods to create a bootable USB with injected USB3 drivers so far, including trying Intel's tool for the same purpose. No success yet. I also tried an SD card last night, with no success. I can't find an option to boot from the SD card in the BIOS - this may be on Metabox, but it's hard to hold a grudge given that I knew about the limited BIOS functionality when I bought it.

My original concept was to dual-boot Windows 10 Pro (for work, set up and maintained by our IT dept) and Win 7 Ultimate for my personal use. It's looking more and more like I'll need to try to downgrade from Win8/10, which is getting a bit too hard. Such a pain in the arse, and I can't help but think this is just shittiness from Microsoft who use an easily correctable technical glitch to force you to use a more modern OS.

8. wcefan

wcefan Member

Tried this? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Also, any particular reason why you don't want to run windows 10 for personal use as well?

9. richard0296

richard0296 Member

word. bought the 650re from kong computers during one of their sales.

great laptops, look fantastic, play my games good, sturdy as a work horse.

kong's warranty seems pretty good too :thumbup:

i use win10 so haven't faced any of the issues above ^

10. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

I did try that, no luck. It wouldn't complete the update when writing to my USB stick, and when I tried it on a mounted iso it completed successfully but still didn't work during the Windows install.

I've actually just worked it out and got Win 7 going - I'll post a quick how-to tonight in case anyone else has this issue.

No real reason for going Win 7 for home use other than nostalgia/familiarity. I guess I have the best of both worlds due to the dual boot, but I might still use the free upgrade to Win 10.

11. Alexjaames

Alexjaames Member

I had the same issue aswell, finally got in on by mounting the USB 3.0 Drivers in the Windows7 Wim files, I could possibly share those files with you if you want me too. I have the 650RE aswell so whould work fine.

i followed this if it helps USB 3 Driver Fix

12. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

Thats the process that I used too, the Intel update tool for Windows 7 has a guide that outlines basically the same process.

I had a subsequent issue relating to Windows Update not working, it would hang constantly on the "searching for drivers" part. Fix was to turn all updates off, restart, then search for updates. Found about 4GB after that, updated everything and all good now.

The whole Windows 7 thing has been a bit arduous. Does anyone know if I'm able to dual-boot two copies of Windows 10 Pro on the same machine? Because I work as a consultant for a firm and also as a private sub-consultant, I need to keep my personal OS separate from my work OS. This is why I chose Win 7 Ultimate for my personal use, but I'd rather use Windows 10 for both if that'll work.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

looking to order a metabox Prime-X P775DM-G next month as a replacement to my alienware 17 which i've had for 2 years (and have massively upgraded).

14. scips

scips Member

Install your base as the gaming win10 and have VMs for work?

15. Crimmo

Crimmo Member

I'm currently tossing up between a P640RE and something slightly lesser spec'd from a brand name (e.g. the ASUS GOG G551VW).

I obviously get more bang for my buck with the Metabox, however would I be better off going for a brand name if I am concerned about build quality? For the price point, this would likely necessitate a downgrade from the 970M to 960M. Ideally, this laptop is going to last me 4-5 years with equal parts light gaming and sitting on the couch web browsing.

In terms of the P640RE, what are the non-negotiable upgrades? Wireless upgrade? IPS panel?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

gonna hold out for a P870DM-G or the P775DM-G. a desktop cpu and gpu is enough for me to ditch the alienware i have to get one!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  17. BBITS

BBITS Member

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i spoke with the metabox dudes and they'll flash a custom bios and GPU bios when i order the P870DM-G.

g-sync here i come!

19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Took the plunge and ordered the P870DM-G :D

now to figure out what to do with the alienware....most likely sell it but since I did so many upgrades to it, it might be a bit of a mess for someone who isn't that tech savvy since the GPU needs modded drivers for it to work properly.

20. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

Sell it here? More likely to get a tech savvy buyer than eBay or Gumtree, so maybe less likely to have post-sale hassles.

The IPS screen on the P650RE is really good, but I don't know how it compares to the P640RE. Upgrades (and their value) depend on what you want to do. If you're going to be wired often, obviously the wireless upgrade might not be super useful - but if you're often very mobile, it might offer more value than a RAM upgrade (for example) for the same price.

I opted for one of the upgrade packs which had an M2 ssd, 16GB RAM and wi-fi amongst a few other things. Was more economical to go through Metabox than assemble the same stuff separately, and it offered a more convenient RMA pathway (if it was required).