1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Metabox laptops any good?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Holdenkicks, Mar 15, 2016.

1. daizer

daizer Member

Took the dive and got the P650 series with 1070 GPU.

Affordable laptops/and several other resellers have a GTX 10 series GPU launch sale

below are the specs:

Prime-P650RS-G-09-16
    Operating system: Windows 10 Home – installed with DVD and drivers
    Screen type: 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 WVA with Nvidia G-Sync Technology
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 graphics
    Processor for P6 series: i7-6700HQ Quad Core CPU 2.6GHz up to 3.5GHz
    RAM – up to 4 slots: 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM (1 x 16GB and 3 slots empty)
    M.2 Slot 1: 512GB Sandisk X400 M.2 mini SSD – 540/520MBs
    WiFi: WiFi 802.11 bgn M.2 and Bluetooth combo
    Specifications: HD Web Cam, Mic, built-in 2 x Onkyo speakers, colour backlit keyboard, SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB5, 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (Type-C), 3 x USB 3.0 ports, 6-in-1 Card reader, HDMI, 2 x Mini Display port 1.3, S/PDIF, Fingerprint reader, LAN, AC Adaptor 230W, 4-cel
    Dimensions: W/D/H = 385/271/28.8 mm, Weight 2.65 kg

2. Carey

Carey Member

Awesome, let us know how it goes! I'm thinking something almost identical, or 17" version. Interested to see how hot it gets under load.

3. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

Oh man, I have some regrets now about not waiting a bit longer to buy one of these. My P650RE has a 970M 3GB which is decent enough for 1080p, but these 1070's are making me jealous.

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

yeah, oh well. i'm gonna hold out till cannonlake + GTX 1180.

5. Carey

Carey Member

How are you finding the laptop Daizer? Size/height/weight ok? Does it get too hot or noisy? Keyboard ok?

I'm just about to pull the trigger on one but these were my main questions :)

EDIT: Just ordered one. No Drives though, I took the $100 discount and will add an Intel 600P 512GB pci-e drive once I pick up the laptop. Then add another 16GB 2133mhz on top.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  6. daizer

daizer Member

I just received my Metabox P650RS purchased from Affordable Laptops on Wednesday. The package was despatched on Monday afternoon, and delivery was a day late as Star Track Express states that it was going to be a 'next day' service.

Unfortunately there were issues with the windows 10 installation out of the box (I purchased and had windows 10 pre-installed from factory). It would not get past the windows 10 initial start up screens and was stuck in some sort of loop. After selecting timezone settings, product key, network settings, it would not save and get past the 'Just a moment' loading screen – it would reboot and i'd have to re-enter and repeat the initial startup. I called Metabox for technical support and they were very helpful. We tried to 'reset' the notebook in recovery mode and it would not make any changes. The suggestion was to re-install windows 10 by creating an image and bootable usb. The tech was very helpful and gave clear instructions on carrying out this, fortunately I still had a functioning desktop and DVD drive.

This is my first performance windows laptop for a long time, as I have been on Macbooks since 2009 – Macbook Unibody and MBP 15" Retina 2012.

Anyway, first impressions/comments of the laptop:
    - Build quality good, quite happy overall with the quality of the build.

- Idle fan noise more audible compared with my MBP. I'm not too put off being a bit louder as I don't use laptops much in the public.

- Keyboard backlight customisation pretty good. Can choose the colours in sections of the keyboard

- Power button: need to hold for at least 2 seconds to turn on the machine. I'm use to just pressing the button and letting go straight away, not a biggie but something I just noticed coming from a MBP.

- GPU-Z shows the onboard graphics only, need to change from MShybrid to Discrete to show GPU-Z and to turn on GSYNC

- Screen bleeding is apparent in a dark room. on the bottom and top LHS slight green tinge. it's not as bad as some other users but it is bearable

If there's anything specific users here want me to test/take photos of let me know. In terms of games I will be instsalling ROTR, BF4, GTA

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  7. daizer

daizer Member

congrats on the purchase!

I don't mind the size and weight, I don't carry this often as I mainly use this when i'm at home. I work away from home during the week so this device suits me well, I don't expect to use it much in public unless i'm travelling on holiday.

It does get noisy when you're gaming and you can hear the fans. I game with headphones on so its not much of an issue for me and I don't use the the laptop in public. I was playing ROTR and i was getting up to 80-84 degrees on 'very high' game settings @ 1080p.

Loving it so far and looking forward to putting in addition ram and SSD. Keen to hear your experiences in carrying out the drives install, its supposedly to be quite easy :)

8. Carey

Carey Member

Cheers!

Picked up the laptop yesterday. Next week I'll be picking up the 600P so it's just sitting pretty in the meantime.

There's a slight backlight bleed that wanders about a little when you put pressure on the screen bezel. The screen bezel is surprisingly flexible at the middle bottom, but I suppose it's not like I deliberately go prodding that part, so no biggie.

As there's no HDD all i'm left with is a boot screen, so backlight bleed checking is pretty much the only thing I can do haha. TBH I don't think it'll be that bad under normal load. Plus, I'm used to it on my Dell U2711 (it's a bit 'broader' though in it's effect - so less noticeable). I think the lappy boots at 100% brightness anyway, so I'm probably seeing it at it's very worst.

The rest of the unit feels quite solid, the size is very nice and the keys feel pretty good. I'll be using the keyboard maybe 30% of the time though as it'll be plugged in to my 27" plus an external mouse and keyboard.

There seems to be a lack of support right at the right edge of the keyboard (-/+/enter) where it feels like the PCB (or whatever supports the keys) is flexing under pressure. I'll have to look into it when I open it up.

Next week the 512GB Intel 600P will go in, plus the Intel 7265 wireless AC i picked up for $10 off here, and maybe an extra 16GB ram (or I might wait a little - but I like dual channel though :)).

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

900 USD / 1200 CAD to upgrade to the MSI GTX 1070 with only a slight performance increase that's practically negligible when compared to the GTX 980.

I'll stick to my plan of waiting for cannonlake + GTX 1180.

10. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

thinking about replacing my HTPC with one of these so i can get some gaming portability :D

looking at this config:

Metabox Prime P650RS-G $3076

15.6" FHD IPS 60HZ G-Sync Matte LED
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 G-Sync
    Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz
    32GB DDR4 2133MHZ (2 x 16GB)
    Sandisk X400 512GB M.2 SSD
    No 2nd M.2 SSD Selected
    No Hard Drive Selected
    No 2nd Hard Drive Selected
    Intel 8260 AC Dual Band WIFI/BT
    No External Optical Disc Drive Selected
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    2 Year Metabox Platinum Care

11. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

Lol just bought it haha. My HTPC in my sig will be going up for sale shortly for anyone interested.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

a 1070 is only a slight boost to the 980.

13. bennyg

bennyg Member

The Eurocom 1070 upgrade reused the 980M heatsink and throttled, yet still managed to be faster than a 980 using 980 heatsink. The 1070 is about 30-40% over a 980 DESKTOP notebook version when it's got a proper thermal solution.

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

not on the benchmarks i've seen. either way, $900 USD is not worth it.

15. Carey

Carey Member

As night stalker said, The 1070 is around 10% quicker than a GTX980 (non-m laptop), and ~50% quicker than a GTX980m laptop.

Still, an absolute beast.

Took my still new metabox in yesterday with regards to the keyboard rising/popping out on the RHS issue. They said it might be a clip underneath which would be a simple fix. Hopefully that's the case! Will grab myself a 600p 512GB and get installing windows and some games once it's back.

16. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

its replacing the HTPC rig with a 970 in it. my 980ti is still my main pc.

17. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

Go with 650RE ...... personallly use it for gaming purpose

18. Carey

Carey Member

So after receiving the unit, I had to take it back for a keyboard fix, as the RHS was springing up, the result of a poor clip that wasn't holding. Luckily I was local so it was done the next day, they just replaced the keyboard and it was all good to go. +1 for service there, very easy to deal with.

There's still some backlight bleed, but nothing that's extreme enough for me. I'll keep an eye on it though if it bugs me too much. Lots of my gaming is on my U2711, and boy the 1070 handles 1440p very well.

My SSD (Intel 600P) install went very smooth, just took off all the screws, popped the bottom open starting around the ethernet port, and plugged in the drive and my replacement wireless AC card I got here. Last year's model but more or less the same unless you absolutely need cutting edge wireless. Plus I saved another $29 ha :)

Just be sure to use the 'SSD1' port when installing a pci-e nvme drive like the 600p, otherwise you'll be capped to the SATA interface of the SSD2 slot. there's 2 other SATA port as well, which I'm not using as yet.

I noticed there's a full size SIM slot too, and an M.2 slot for a 3G/4G modem of sorts, which would be pretty handy sticking a pre-paid sim in if you wanted.

Anyway, I've added some pic of internals here. You can see they've just added a single extra heatpipe between the CPU and GPU vs the GTX970 variant.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, temps while gaming (overwatch) are sitting around 74C on the GPU, 68 (I think?) from CPU. The fans spin up a bit as expected, but they aren't too whiny which is good. When not gaming it ranges from unheard to very quiet fan noise.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i've seen people do ghetto eGPU solutions for the P870DM-G.

20. Biochrist

Biochrist New Member

So is the general consensus that the 650 series metabox laptops are pretty good I'm interested in getting one towards the end of the year I just don't want to fork out 2.5 k for a poor laptop. Is there anyone out there with the most recent 650 series who would care to share their thoughts.