1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Metabox laptops any good?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Holdenkicks, Mar 15, 2016.

1. richard0296

richard0296 Member

email kong support, they sent me zipped bios recently for my laptop when i was having a few (non related to you) issues.

2. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

3. bennyg

bennyg Member

Bad idea to flash from a random reseller, if they happen to have something custom in the BIOS or EC, if you can get it to install, it will probably brick your machine.

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

tempted to upgrade my 1080p screen to a 4K screen if I can find one that's compatible.

I remember having to disassemble an alienware just to get 120Hz.

5. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Bit of a thread necro but I'm just looking around at buying a new laptop and stumbled across Metabox. They do a 2060 for the same price as everyone elses 1060, so just wondering what the catch is? I'm finding it hard to get any definitive opinion of their products.

firey4059 likes this.
  6. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Because they're like PCCG. They do decent tech at much more reasonable prices.

When I got my Metabox (like 5 years ago) my only issue with it was its build quality. Felt incredibly plasticy, and if you held it a certain way it'd break. Other than that, performance was fantastic. Cooling was perfect. Their support system was also incredibly good.

firey4059 likes this.
  7. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Well I just dropped some money on one so we will see what it is like. Apparently the flimsiness was mainly in the display due to the plastic casing but now they have an alloy back on them so maybe that will fix it. I do like the $75 for 3 years of warranty as well though :thumbup:

Madengineer and firey4059 like this.
  8. bennyg

bennyg Member

Highly recommend you undervolt with Throttlestop as soon as you get it. And also the Obsidian pc software tools for the automatic driver Updater and especially the Fan Control app, well worth the 40 buck license (the standard Clevo profiles can suck)

Yes some of the N850/N870 (Alpha) series have been a bit cheap feeling in the past so good to hear they've done something about it. Clevo sometimes take years to address weak points they lag years behind the competition on like their keyboards

Have a look through the owners lounge for your model on Notebookreview forums. There's lots of headroom for tweaking to improve noise, temps, performance even without modding or overclocking.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Strange1 likes this.
  9. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Thanks I'll have a look at them :)
    Seems to be $80 for the software though and my model isn't supported, so that's an issue. Actually my model isn't even listed in the drivers section on the Metabox page!