1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Metroid Dread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by elvis, Jun 16, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

That was Metroid 5, but you bet I'll be playing it again in 2031 as a Retro Let's Play! :)

Trizae likes this.
  2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Thought it was 4

Metroid 1/Zero Mission
    Metroid 2/Samus Returns
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Dread

What have I missed without counting the prime games?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

The best game of all time.

Super Metroid, aka Metroid 3.

D.Frost likes this.
  4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Wow I did miss super metroid... it's my favourite one too lol

I blame the gold chozo and raven beak fights back to back for sapping my brain power :Paranoid:

elvis likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Definitely some cracking boss fights.

I've read a bit of anguish online from people getting annoyed at the analogue thumb stick controls over dpad controls.

Even as a die hard dpadder, I got over that within 15 minutes. The free aim was something I thought would bug me, but ultimately became second nature quickly enough.

Trizae likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Nintendo are putting a demo up on the Switch eShop shortly. If anyone is on the fence as to whether or not they want to buy this, might be good to check out the demo and get a feel for the game.

As it stands it's the most successful Metroid game ever made, and independent reviews have largely been positive. All up a great success for developer MercurySteam on their second outing with the franchise.

Trizae, D.Frost and mesaoz like this.
  7. Trizae

Trizae Member

you beat me to the punch but Metroid Dread will be the most successful and highest selling Metroid of all time even beating all of the primes if you don't know it came out october 8 if you have a switch check its standing on the eshop in australia right now :)

8. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Why does my favourite game of all time have to have my least favourite platform game mechanic of all time. Being chased is the worst, ugh.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I must admit I suffered a few deaths here and there from EMMIs, but most of the time it was because I was being lazy and just charging through the areas.

Once I slowed down a bit and applied my brain, getting past them was fairly easy.

10. Grant

Grant Member

Just finished it at 98% then went back and got the last two items - one easy one and one that I think was the hardest shinespark one (it was one that needed several charges).

I didn't look at the internet until that last one though, for the most part I figured out the shinespark mechanics just from having played Fusion, which was really rewarding. Just forgot some of the rules about chaining them.

I was definitely annoyed about how the game blocks you from backtracking in a similar way to Fusion, but I can see why it wants to keep you moving forward.

The Power Bomb was weird though, I'd picked up like 9 extra power bombs before opening up the boss battle for it, and they showed up as unknown. I was trying to do as much item hunting as possible after getting the Screw Attack, and had to run around the whole world at times because I was hindered by Power Bomb blocks. That just made me slow down and search even more, because I was convinced I'd missed the Power Bomb and was supposed to have it at that point.

But even in a more linear playthrough it looks like you're supposed to come across a few before getting the upgrade.

Z-57 was my favourite boss fight, but the final boss was harder, and it was great to see Kraid again.

Bring on Metroid Prime 4 :thumbup:

Trizae and elvis like this.
  11. MrBS

MrBS Member

Just beat the game with 100% items, probably lost a couple hours because I didn't wait to the end to mop up items lol. Fun times roll on the next game in 2080.

Trizae and elvis like this.
  12. akashra

akashra Member

100%. That's a lot of shinespark practice. Yeah, no thanks. Some of those shinespark puzzles I've tried so far are just way too difficult for me to find fun trying to get right.

13. Trizae

Trizae Member

They finally uploaded this from Nintendo Switch news channel

14. Trizae

Trizae Member

colmaz and elvis like this.
  15. Trizae

Trizae Member

Nice to see Nintendo not f*cking around with Dread, highest selling Metroid in the US and Japan so far too.

You love to see it!

colmaz likes this.
  16. power

power Member

I haven't bought this yet (because too many other games) but these are always so interesting. Being this game was made in a 3D engine should make it even more so.

Trizae likes this.
  17. colmaz

colmaz Member

elvis and Trizae like this.
  18. Trizae

Trizae Member

Metroid Dread sells 2.74 units becoming the fastest selling Metroid in a 3 month period and almost beating the life time sales of the series best seller Metroid Prime (2.75 LIfe to date sales) you love to motherfucking see it :D DA63A980-00A0-44A6-8EE3-4F52E8B931FC.jpeg

19. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

I hope they go all out for Prime 4

Speaking of Metroid, it's so hard to find a copy of Metroid pinball with the rumble pak on the DS

elvis likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Development time and multiple studio hoping suggests they are.

I also hope the dollar success of Dread means they're willing to put more dollars into Prime 4.

As a Metroid fan, it's been quite ride. I still struggle to believe it even happened, when I'd prepared myself for Metroid never returning.