Microsoft closes Windows Live Messenger to focus on Skype

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by schmoove, Nov 8, 2012.

1. schmoove

schmoove Member

Surprised I couldn't find a thread already started about this announcement.
    Maybe nobody cares? ^-^

News report here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998
    and here
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/06/end-of-an-era-windows-live-messenger-to-be-retired-users-transitioned-to-skype/

Windows and Skype blogs here
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2012/11/06/the-next-chapter-for-the-windows-live-messenger-network.aspx
    http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/11/skypewlm.html

Anybody still using MSN? (Windows Live Messenger)

Also I'm still not too clear on what exactly is closing down.
    I read somewhere that skype has transitioned / is transitioning to MSNs servers for handling messages,
    so is only the WLM client itself being dumped?
    Can I still use the MSN network using my Live ID via my third party IM of choice Miranda IM? Their forums aren't saying much.
    It is said that WLM IDs and existing skype IDs will both work when logging into skype,
    and there is an option to merge accounts.

All in all a sad day T-T
    I hate change / progress sometimes *^-^*

2. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Might as well get some use out of Skype. They only paid about 7bn more than they should have.

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

When I first heard, I thought 'fuck that' because of all the contacts I had, and I don't use skype anymore, but it'd need to provide contacts migration.

After that thought, I came to realise that I don't care about msn anymore. Majority of my contacts I now have on facebook/Google+ or another means, and others I in fact come to the realisation I don't talk to anymore.

1 thought I had just then, are they ending the product or the service? There are 3rd party applications, including linux native ones, that utilise msn protocol...

4. Segression

Segression Member

This blows big time , I've been sing msn for 10years easy and a few good friends and I use it to stay in touch , I don't wanna use Skype :/

5. oculi

oculi Member

i don't care i just use icq. or netsend

6. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

i stopped using msn years ago, then kept getting ppl here wanting to use it to chat so reinstalled it
    now just have it full of ocowers :weirdo:

i have noticed lately the "Skype for Windows" is now being offered via windows update which made me go wtf.

i miss this :upset:

7. power

power Member

meh, haven't used it for years and then I only used it because ICQ went to shit.

now I use Talk for everything - it's on my phone and on web it's in the gmail webpage - winrar.

Skype is for old people and noobs and it's crap, so could not care less.

8. breno

breno Member

Havent used MSN in about 10 years, growing up as a teenager i was on MSN every day and night. Great memories :D

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No biggie for me either. I can't even be bothered ith instant messengers since the icq days.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

LOL @ all this "I hate Skype" nonsense.

Google talk, MSN and Skype are all damned near identical from an end user experience. Type text, person on other end of the planet sees it. Point webcam at head, person on other end of planet sees your ugly mug. All the bloody same.

It doesn't make sense for Microsoft to have multiple messaging/conferencing platforms. Skype has a lot of smarts down in the technology layer that make it a more advanced platform to run with. Integrating that into the Microsoft ecosystem (unified across all desktop/tablet/phone/console/business/casual markets) makes a lot of sense, and likewise dumping MSN to concentrate on the one product does too.

I'm siding with Microsoft on this one. They're making the right call. (No pun intended).

11. power

power Member

Skype is pretty bandwidth heavy and relies on a crappy client though elvis as do most of these IM's - Talk is nice and light and just uses a browser plugin.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  12. thecondor

thecondor Member

Its actually a great program to use, specially when gaming with mates on pc.

I run skype on my pc, galaxy and ip5. Works great on all platforms.

I use skype all day at work for the text chat, between clients and mates.

13. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:lol::Pirate:

tbh im surprised its still going at all
    shoulda been dumped years ago

14. power

power Member

I open gmail and login on any PC to talk no need to install some crappy client to chat. Talk uses less bandwidth for chat as well, video chat uses less bw as well.

There might be a way to Skype in a webpage, but it's probably not official.

This is the biggest selling point for me. Skype has it's uses I'm sure but to me they are not worth it.

15. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

Skype released their api's a while ago now. You can use any client you want.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I was unfortunate enough to use the Windows client for Skype about a month back. What a heap of shit that is. The Linux client is ironically "behind" the Windows client, and as such hasn't been forced to adopt the crappy interface changes. But the client UI isn't the whole product.

Skype's protocol is pretty impressive though. Clients can seek each other out and do all sorts of peer-to-peer trickery to bypass network breakages. It can cause a bit of a headache for network security, but it's a pretty bulletproof protocol compared to others.

18. OP
    OP
    schmoove

schmoove Member

You can use other clients (I use Miranda IM), but still have to have the Skype client running unfortunately -_-

19. Cpt Watermelon

Cpt Watermelon Member

Signed into my WLM for nostalgias sake. 130 odd contacts and not a single one of them online what so ever.

20. lgnorant

lgnorant Member

i and a lot of my friends are still using MSN. however, more and more people are switching over to the facebook messenger. which is laggy, and bloated.

i agree that WLM has gone to shit, but i use pidgin with MSN which a million years faster and so much more responsive. i hope they keep the servers so i can continue using it.