Microsoft finally kills off Media Center

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by The Brad, May 5, 2015.

1. The Brad

The Brad Member

Windows Media Center is dead. Anybody who upgrades to Windows 10 will have to find another way.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

It is sad because for LiveTV nothing else really stacks up.

Plex and Kodi have got great features for "rips" but Kodi's Live TV is fiddly and Plex doesn't support it at all, really.

SiliconDust have their Kickstarter for a DVR that could get Kodi competitive, but only with SiliconDust hardware. Thread elsewhere if you're interested in that.

How is it that 6 years after Microsoft stopped developing MCE, that nothing has been able to replace it as the king of Live TV.

2. LordHole

LordHole (Banned or Deleted)

Media Portal is better for live TV

+ you can stream live TV.

You don't need an xshit (box)

3. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

I wholeheartedly disagree. Media Portal is OK but its significantly more difficult to set up. I've evaluated probably 5 different versions of it over time and got the (now ex) wife to try it, and it just has never stacked up.

On the same hardware, it was nowhere near as good in functionality or usability.

4. LordHole

Its not significantly more difficult to setup!

Anyway, not going to miss it at all.

Never looked back.

5. power

power Member

While the product may be discontinued it doesn't stop the ones that are out there working, and I can't see anything better available yet.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

:thumbup: Good reason to stick with win 7.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Subjective statement is subjective.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Of course, most online statements are....

Got any recommendations for a king/prince for live TV that doesn't depend on the internet to get working? I know there are a few options, but I don't have time to play with anything at the moment. I know you could only to an online installation of one of them (media portal? mythTV? can't remember) and when I looked at it, I didn't understand backend/frontend (I do now). Is there something that can be set up without too much grief and heartache you would recommend? Usually, you get somebody saying "this" and somebody else saying "that" and not everybody agreeing on "THIS"

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Kodi and MythTV are two I've used and liked. Both are open source, which I use by personal choice.

Not really interested in a product/license war, nor justifying my choices. But there are plenty of choices out there (many more than the two I've mentioned), and if managing live TV is your thing, then they're worth exploring. The neat thing about open source options is that even if the person who writes the thing is a dickhead, chances are someone else will fork the project and continue/improve it, meaning you're not beholden to a single developer/company (as is the case with Media Centre, and is why this thread even exists).

That'll be the last I say on the matter, before it gets ugly and emotional.

10. LordHole

Oh its going there!

MCE is fucking shit and I'm fucking hostile. :mad:

11. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

I don't think it has to get ugly and emotional but I think there's a reasonable consensus that a lot of people haven't found anything to replace the ease of use and functionality of Windows MCE with anything else yet.

Maybe this is the thing that is needed to push one of the other solutions to the point where it IS a product good enough for the masses.

Kodi I think is closest. Plex is what people are screaming for but they just don't do Live TV.

You could definitely ask the question though of the relevance of Live TV in this day of Netflix and others.

12. LordHole

Insert brain here

=

it can be replaced easily

13. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Open your eyes Troll. My statement is very clear.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

I use Kodi, but for live tv, you have to pick a back end..... I haven't time to go through and see if/how they work, blah blah blah,

Choices are good, but not when you can't be bothered/don't have time/blah blah. That's where MCE comes in. For Live TV. (IMO, Kodi's got the rest covered- playback of other stuff)

Kodi is obviously working on integrating it all but, at the moment, you still have to pick a back end, install it, figure it out.

EDIT: you could be right brad, that live tv is on its way to disappearing altogether.

15. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

Broccoli you should check this out:
    http://kodi.tv/addon-spotlight-hdhomerun-live-tv/

No DVR functionality yet, and requires the 4th generation HDHomeRun from SiliconDust (declared interest: I am the distributor).

By the time the new hardware is launched it will have proper EPG support for Australia and should be a one click install.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

there's the rub... and I've already got tuners "up the wazoo" (so to speak), so I really don't need new hardware. No doubt, alternatives (hardware and/or software) will need to be sought down the track, but as of now, there's nothing I can just pick up and use to replace what WMC hands me on a platter (for live tv)

17. LordHole

What is so difficult about media portal?

18. OP
    OP
    The Brad

The Brad Member

The HDHomeRun has other benefits being on the network, so its a little more than "just a tuner", tablet or console support as one example.

This Live TV functionality has been funded by SiliconDust but I believe that link states the source is in the repo so maybe someone else will port it to use other tuners.

Only thing is I suspect it uses HTTP video to stream so other tuners may not actually support that.

Lots of Kodi fans around here so when this actually works in Australia it will be good to see how people like it.

19. LordHole

MCE's scanning for channels takes years compared to MP

And fixing the bug with no free tuner found is much more difficult in MCE

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't know.... Probably nothing?

I don't have the time to experiment with the available options, I didn't say any of them was difficult because I haven't looked at them. (maybe media portal is the one you can only do an online installation of?? can't remember)