1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft flight SIM 2020.

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Kookooburra, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Skydome

Skydome Member

this game is going to blow up so many gpus.

Nethiuz likes this.
  2. Witters

Witters Member

This game is the main reason I'm saving for a new one...

3. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

The specs aren't that crazy for it though.
    It's the net connection that needs to be good! However there is download an area offline mode as well for localised flying at top notch detail.

4. Skydome

Skydome Member

I did see it will stream some stuff but surely the graphics need to be rendered by the end users GPU?

or this game the first real test of online graphics processing for game streaming>

5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Yep for sure, but recommended specs for this sim are: VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX 590 or GeForce GTX 970
    Min specs are almost a phone.
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/microsoft-flight-simulator/19451

I guess it depends on what monitor they are driving, me being on 4k (people say needs 4x the power of 1080p but it does not) needs a little higher GPU. Same would go if you wanted 144hz or more.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The whole streaming thing is a little overblown.

The primary use case seems to be saving storage space, especially so since an SSD is required and 1TB+ SSD's are expensive.

I'm not sure of any other benefits, if there was a performance reduction, it will be likely offset by the streaming element which likely has a reasonable CPU overhead.

I also have a feeling that this whole thing is also to justify reoccurring revenue, stopping piracy, and stopping some kind of scraping of their world data, since its using propriatary "Azure AI" to make the world realistic.

I don't mind paying a regular fee if I get voiced missions that get added regularly, FSX had them but there wasn't enough.

My primary reason for loving FSX are for emergency situations, whats the fun in a flight from A to B where nothing goes wrong!

Thats why FSPassengers was great, you ran an entire company, managed finances and if you crashed, it told you how many killed/injured passengers, and it mattered.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  7. breno

breno Member

When that happens I just dissolve the company and start a new one :lol:

bart5986 likes this.
  8. Skydome

Skydome Member

those requirements seem pretty low considering the graphics this game has

9. breno

breno Member

Yeah they won't be showcasing what a 970 can do.

10. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

actual screenshot on a 970

[​IMG]

11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

It has to run on current gen Xbox which we all know is a heap of shit.

12. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Well in the patch notes for Alpha 3 i read this.

Flight Model

• Several Aircraft now feel better to fly when using FSX flight model (see specific planes for updates)

So to the people wanting a basic flight model to just enjoy the scenery this is good news. As FSX has flight model worse than Grand Theft Auto. Complete and utter shit! However it's easy..
    Lets hope the proper flight model can compete with X-Plane or i will be very upset, as Microsoft's previous attempts at realistic are a joke. I have high hopes though, as this is a whole new ball game and many years later. :)

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I have never flown a plane before but are you sure the FSX flight model is bad?

I know the PMDG mods did adjust many things about it to make it more realistic (and difficult) but the original wasn't too different that I would call it bad.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

The planes are ok at best, some of the 3rd party ones are certainly better than what came with the game.
    Their helicopters are so bad so so bad i can swear by GTA 5 having a better flight model. They are basically on rails in FSX. Where as X-Plane takes proper air movement around all moving blades, fuselage and even works with ground effect.

Actually i would like to commend Aerofly FS-2 and their R22, my housemate flies R44's (almost same) and swears by the flight model.. I have only ever briefly flown Turbine Bell 206 and some small fixed wings, but have a fair idea. My father is a pilot too.

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Whats hilarious is that I played every single FSX mission, except the helicopter one :lol:

Nethiuz likes this.
  16. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I really did enjoy FSX when it came out, for years no lie there. Just now being more into proper simming and working in Aviation, VR etc etc i am thirsty for so much more. It is a shame X-Plane runs very poorly in VR.
    New MSFS may possibly bring everything i ever wanted to one sim, which would be down right amazing, the multiplayer looks superb, scenery is 10/10, they are claiming VR will be in and i just need the flight model to live up to perfection and i will die happy.

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I wish I could still enjoy FSX, I end up doing the same thing every time

1. Install FSX
    2. Install all the fancy orbx mods
    3. Stare at Brisbane International Airport in all its glory at 10fps
    4. Realise that if I get 10fps at airports that its too hard to land safely
    5. Reduce settings until its playable
    6. Realise FSPassengers is too buggy.
    7. Uninstall ready to do it again in 6 months.

If you want to see the level of detail on orbx.. its amazing

[​IMG]

budzilla and Nethiuz like this.
  18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I play ORBX Innsbruck on Aerfoly FS2, it's basically real. Also ORBX Broome and Chicago in X-Plane 11 which is very nice. I love their scenery.

I can't recommend Aerofly FS2 enough, not global of course but it looks stunning and i get 90FPS in VR index easy, runs so amazing. Flight model is good. No MP unfortunately.
    This is Innsbruck ORBX. There is also (Not ORBX an incredible Lukla scenery that blows my mind)

FSX is 32bit and you get a lot of OOM errors with addons. I gave up trying now days.

bart5986 likes this.
  19. The Beast

The Beast Member

I wasn't tracking that they had come around on VR, that's great news.

Probably connected to this now I think about it.

HP Is Building A ‘Next Generation’ Headset For SteamVR With Microsoft & Valve

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

VR is in the top 10 wishlist and they said it will be in by Launch hopefully if not soon after. They are actively listening to everyone and updating the list, which is awesome. Also the list is amazing, ATC, Seasons, Shared Cockpit, Helicopters. :)