Microsoft Killed Plans For "PC Vs Xbox 360" Online Play

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Jul 22, 2010.

1. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

But I still don't see any new controller that you could imagine being a better controller for speed and accuracy than a keyboard&mouse in shooter games short of a direct neural implant interface or something. The only people who would think that the keyboard and mouse if archaic is those who have only lived in their console worlds and never played an FPS on a PC, and they may think their hand controller is good and that they could take on anyone, but you would only have to put them up against a moderately skilled PC gamer and they would get their ass handed to them every time. You don't even need to approach the skills of twitchy quake players, just someone with a bit of experience in fast paced FPS's will win every time

I don't think that the keyboard and mouse FPS will ever go away, it is a smaller market than the consoles, but mostly because consoles are more accessible to the casual market and more people are picking up casual gaming, but for those who grew up with CS, UT, Quake and all them will mostly likely always hold a preference to PC for FPS's.

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I own a Mouse for Ps3 and Xbox and play much better with them then a controller but I grew up with FPS' on a PC. My mates who use a controller on ps3 but never played PC suck with keyboard/mouse. All comes down to what you are brought up on. But overall it cant be denied the Mouse is much more accurate, your moving a mouse on a flat surface only limited by your physical limits.. a controller is a small stick that you push in a direction limited by the game sensitivity you simply can not move a controller as agile as a mouse.

3. Chris McMahon

Chris McMahon Taking a break

No idea if it works, but someone already has.

4. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

One of the most skilled and best BF and BF2 players out there in Aus used to play with a cheap console type controller...I am not quite sure how he managed it. I think it was Booth.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

yes it works, I think thats the XFPS but the new 'XIM' is almost perfect emulation, but its $300

I use the Bannco Scorch, its not bad.

6. budzilla

budzilla Member

Don't flame! It's quite commmon for good players to use controllers for aircraft in BF games.

7. RHCP

RHCP Member

I only casually game on the xbox, but this is something which has somewhat annoyed me. My aim has never really improved that much with the anolog controller. If anything, i find the majority of my 'aiming' is actually achieved with side steps (strafing) and player movements, and not the actual aiming stick. For the most part, the reverse is true for computer FPS;i can just naturally 'snap' a hs without even thinking - with the majority of the movement/aim coming from the mouse.

Is the same true for you guys?

P.S. By far the best console game for aiming (for me) was quake 2 on the psx. I believe R1/L1 was look up down, while R2/L2 was strafe.....it seemed weird at first, but once you got used to it and adjusted the sensitivities, it was extremely accurate.

8. 1800-gumby

1800-gumby Member

I've never really owned a gaming PC so all my experience is as a console gamer, me and few mates were fairly decent Halo players not pro gammer level but decent and when it came out for PC we bought a copy and hooked up a standard xbox controller through a usb converter and had a fair bit of success in pub games. We won probably 80 - 90% of games (where we had a connection good enough to play) admittedly it was halo, and it was only for the first week after it was released before we got bored and went back to lans.

It would never work for overly competitive gamers but for abit of fun it wouldn't be a problem. That article reeks of elitist PC attitude I'm not saying consoles can compete with KBM combo because they can't but to say cross platform gaming can't work because of the differences in accuracy is a load of crap the real reason is they don't want people using the PC version for free while the console users pay for live. Microsoft has this idea that live is better then PC gaming and is worth the cost premium and if they let PC users use it for free people would stop buying the console version of the game.

9. Killing Time

Killing Time Member

10. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

It's still emulated, the games have no support and like all current devices that try to do this it feels like crap. The mouse won't feel like a mouse, when it's emulated it doesn't behave like a mouse would 1:1. It might be better but any PC gamer is going to notice the difference big time.

Kind of like the Resident Evil 4 mouse aiming mod for PC as it does the same thing. Terrible.

11. power

power Member

I specifically bought a stick to fly choppers in BF2, that said when I'm on the ground kb/mouse all the way.

12. ninjin

ninjin Member

having tried to play online with a wiimote/nunchuck and an xbox controller, there is just no way to match the speed and precision of a mouse. Heck the only real way i got kills was camping and then pushing my shotgun into someone's back after they ran past. This is from someone that usually tops the scoreboard and was a console fps player until about 3 years ago.

I couldn't even go toe to toe with the worst of players...

13. .Spada.

.Spada. Member

I would still love to see this happen though. Would be fun for us PC gamers.

14. grazhopa

grazhopa Member

i saw an article recently that had the opposite viewpoint. will have to dig it up.

after polling a few gamer friends ( pc and console gamers ) we're of the opinion that for run n gun, close quarters type play, the controller would give you better control with the 2 thumb sticks but the mouse would give you the precision for snipers/single shot rifles.

edit

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/005635.php

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  15. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

err.. doubt it. If you want to fire up some games against me with a controller, there's an easy way to test that theory.

Sounds like some wank trying to justify to himself for whatever reason that controllers have some sort of advantage over the mouse.

16. tin

tin Member

We found this years ago on some modded XBoxes. "Homebrew" Quake 2 port + PC version of Quake 2 happily interact with each other.

We had 4 XBoxes and a PC running, and the player on the PC (we shuffled around to make things even) always won. The only thing that changed with different players was the time it took :D

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I gotta admit, I feel completely retarded when I'm playing a game with a game pad in hand. Give me a mouse to head shot that camping prick any day. :thumbup:

18. h-90

h-90 Member

Having played mw2 on both consoles and PC I can defiantly say the action on consoles is slower due to the lower accuracy.

19. Croc

Croc Member

sure FPS pc vs console is pointless but they should get it done for games like pro evolution soccer, nba, etc.....
    sports games are perfect for cross platform multiplayer.

20. power

power Member

well I can just plug a gamepad in for that shit.