Microsoft - Natal: "Kinect"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by thebranded, Jun 3, 2009.

1. thebranded

thebranded Member

Vid of it in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_txF7iETX0

Milo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdkw7sQZPT0

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165891/e3_microsofts_nocontroller_natal_steals_the_show.html

This looks incredible to me! (granted I’ve not played much with a Wii), the Milo character, is kinda corny but amazing in what it recognises, whether future games would use it to that extant i don’t think so. The fight scene and soccer interaction is pretty cool, but you get tired after a while!

is there already thread on this?

[edit} Wave? what wave...?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. bolex17

bolex17 Member

GIMMICK!!!

Haha, saw the video of it in action this morning. Certainly does look pretty cool.
    Will be interested in seeing how games take advantage of it.

3. Mifferz

Mifferz Member

Ok, the wii hype-promo clip released all those years ago did the same thing. This needs to be live up to expectations

4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

From the sound of the hands on reviews at IGN, it is bettering their expectations. They like I saw a silly Eye Toy MKII, but they've found it to be so much more precise and well developed. Really I'm not interested in 95% of the games that will come from this, but the idea of sitting down at my console and having it recognise my face and voice is quite nice, and not having to reach around for a controller when I just want to put some music on would be quite nice as well. That's what I'll be picking it up for, its integration into the basic system. Any games making use of it will just be a bonus. I'd still rather a steering wheel for a racer, a controller for a fighter or shooter but I can see a lot of little XBLA games, or the odd extra big of functionality being thrown into my other games. I hope that MS start bundling this with all new 360s to really get it out there to everyone. Get one with most consoles and you'll get good support from the devs. I don't want to play Splinter Cell with my body but I would like to have my use of the controller integrated with motion and speech.

5. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

yeah i'll wait until i can try it myself before saying omgz its awesom0rz...

i do like the idea of interacting with the dash and it looks like its got some voice activation stuff?

however this could also be a mighty pain in the rear.... will it disrupt music and video playback if you move? lol

looks like a more advanced version of the camera... people seem to have forgotten that the 360 camera works like an eyetoy anyway and games such as totemball showed that off... unfortunately i think that was about all to come from it?

hopefully this pulls off some good things!

6. KappA

KappA Member

My thoughts exactly. It would be worth buying solely for this purpose.

7. OP
    OP
    thebranded

thebranded Member

I dunno, for the dash having this sort of control is handy but nothing remarkable.

http://gizmodo.com/5277954/testing-project-natal-we-touched-the-intangible

They mention that the games seemed to be tweaked to use Natal, but possibly Natal should work on all older games. Maybe the system just converts the movements to a corresponding controler button? This would allow easy backwards compatibility. No need to wait for new games to take advantage of the system.

8. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i wonder if this can work with street fighter ... :leet:

9. Joehax

Joehax Member

As someone who isn't big on the current gen consoles, if natal performed as well as the video makes out, i'd even consider picking one up.

It's one step away from virtual reality on a console! (damn you SegaVR!)

10. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

if it's as accurate as the vid shows. it looks like a lot of fun

11. claf-43

claf-43 Member

waits for all the Wii haters to buy this or the PS3 gimmicks then do a complete backflip :p

12. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Great way to put an internet connected camera and microphone in a massive number of houses world wide.

I for one will be putting at least a cover over it when I'm not using it :tinfoilhat:

13. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

As an owner of a Wii and an xbox 360... I will definitly be selling my Wii to get this.

This is the motion controls of the Wii, which will hopefully be as responsive as they are in the videos, and combine it with the graphics of the xbox 360... and there's no controller, which is always good.

If they can combine this into existing games, like Gears of War, Halo 3, etc... that would make the perfect gaming console. The only problem is, using it to direct your character forward, backward, strafe left/right, etc.

14. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

OMFG, even if it's 1/2 as good as those videos make it out to be, it's going to be epic... :thumbup:

15. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I loved the line in the E3 press release "You won't just end up sitting on the couch waggling a controller in a set direction"

This is soo true, all Wii game can be played sitting down... except Wii Fit I guess... but even that's not very good.

16. salmon

salmon Member

If they can pull this off to rival wii it will be awesome just picturing it now playing fifa or ufc would be really sick.

17. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

the only issue i have with this is playing games without having something to hold onto (or to steer you).

The Burnout Paradise thing is all well and good, but having a proper steering wheel and foot pedals is going to be 100x better.

Unless they have a controller to hold onto it will never work with FPS, mostly because if you turn in RL and the game turns you virtually, your not facing the tv anymore.

Dont get me wrong, its a fantastic piece of technology and the applications for media (using it as a home theater hub) are almost limitless, but as a gaming device i dont see it working all that well.

18. OP
    OP
    thebranded

thebranded Member

for FPS, its not practical, unless they have a special hand gesture to mean spin aorund *starts spining finger in air*

Some FPS features like reloading might work like the arcade games, where you shoot of screen to reload, ie in Natal you point of screen and fire, and i can see the actual screen getting a bit cluttered for things like inventry and such, perhaps there will have to be a icon you point to with finger that the scrolls the inventry untill you point to what you want. things like that will make the learning curve a bit hard.

Also raised in the Gizmodo, link (i think) theres no way to have force feedback.

19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I see so many people saying how it won't work for X game, have you pondered the possibility of integrating it with you using a controller as well. Perhaps hand gestures, voice commands and so on to command your team but your running and gunning is all on your controller.

Be interested if this would work well for light gun games, though oh my you'd look like a toss shooting at your TV with your 'hand' gun ;)

I like the idea of taking a lot of those simple little peripherals, like your remote control, your trivia buzzers and tossing them out for one little strip on your tv.

As for sitting on the couch waggling, that's how you get a perfect game in Wii Bowling ;)

20. Blujay

Blujay Member

the idea itself certainly have alot of potential but the drive behind this is to cash in on the wii market of casual gamers. i.e driven by marketing shills, so it will never get the development it deserves. developers are not going to adopt this especially this late into the consoles life cycle. even nintendo doesn't fully capitalise on the waggle - other than release loads of shovelware. the stupid pr video doesn't help to sell it either (maybe to grandmothers and housewives).