Microsoft Office 2013

Discussion in 'General Software' started by power, Jul 17, 2012.

1. power

power Member

Download the Consumer preview HERE

This article has a good look at the new Office.

Another article on PC World

[​IMG]

2. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  3. BalkanWarrior

BalkanWarrior Member

It's appeared on MSDN as well, I'm getting a copy from there. Internet at work aint great so going to take a bit of time to finish.

4. Linkin

Linkin Member

Blech! :sick:

5. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Running it now. It's WHITE....EVERYWHERE IS WHITE.

It's just awful to look at :sick:

6. CM96

CM96 Member

Been using it for the past few days... it's weird but I sort of like it. Some issues though:

- Excessively white theme, with no apparent way to change it
    - Home, Insert, Design, etc. buttons are in ALL CAPS which gives me the shits
    - Doesn't appear to be many improvements over Office 2010?

Otherwise it isn't too bad.

7. JolyV

JolyV Member

ype, too much

8. Raykay

Raykay Member

I am not liking this whole emphasis on tablet PC's anymore.

Years ago, Games were designed for PC and Consoles separately, until recent years where they are porting games to PC.

Now they seem to be putting more emphasis on tablets than the PC as we know it. They seem to be adjusting a tablet OS to suit the normal user rather than the other way around.

Much prefer 2010 to this tbh.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not a smart interface design decision when the target audience are people who have to stare at a monitor all day long.

Design 101 fail.

10. Reaper

Reaper Member

They stopped good interface decisions the moment they ran with windows 8. This is hardly surprising.

Everyone just needs to ignore all of this and just stick with win7 and office 2007/10. It's not really a case of if it ain't broke, but more of why break it?

Agreed Raykay, I'm more than over tablets. They had their chance to make them great, but nope, they're just convenience toys.

11. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Hopefully it turns out like windows 8, a dud. I haven't and won't be trying it. Why you ask? Lol because i only just bought 2010 university edition yesterday.
    Its becoming a sad world we live in lol. I wonder if this trend will continue. I surly hope not.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  12. elvis

Substituting in "Windows XP and Office 2003" would be an equally valid statement. Ditto for "Windows 2000 and Office 2000".

Seriously, show me a corporate office drone who's gained an ounce of extra productivity with all of these new releases?

Microsoft: re-selling you the same stale crap for over a decade.

13. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

TO be fair, the ribbon interface introduced into Office 2007 definitely increased productivity, in my opinion at least.

14. elvis

You'll find a pretty universal split when it comes to ribbon, regardless of user type or experience.

It's probably the most polarising thing Microsoft ever introduced. I've never met anyone who was on the fence about it, that's for sure.

15. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Yea, fair point. It''s either loathed or loved.

Office 2013 isn't TOO different yet, but they need to fix this BLAND WHITE WASH. It's just awful.

16. Reaper

Reaper Member

Sorry, I can't fully agree there. Windows 7 was a huge fix over windows xp. Much more stable, secure and useful. :)

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Also Office 2007 was leaps and bounds ahead of 2003. 2010 was a refinement of 2007, I think 2013 might be another leap especially in the tablet space.

18. stewbiee

stewbiee Member

yeah for sure, i agree with that comment. but just hope that microsoft will add more themes into this version of office than just white. :confused:

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I have not met one single person who actually likes it, so far. This is absolutely no lie, they say they are accustomed to the traditional menu system, like it and saw no reason to deviate so much. They will eventually get used to it of course because it will be forced on them in a corporate environment.

20. elvis

Are you able to qualify any those statements? I'm genuinely curious to know the objective points to any of those metrics you just mentioned.

Having run both in production for a long time, the stability of them was never an issue. Security wise, I've always had things tied up nicely by AD and GPO (UAC was useless in that regard). And the usefulness of them was identical in that they were a functioning OS that ran applications for low end users.

I really didn't see an ounce of difference in any of those three metrics you just mentioned when it came to the literal thousands of users I've rolled out both versions for over the years.

Can you give me real world examples that you saw in a real production environment where there were improvements in those three items you mentioned?