Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - Why not in this section?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by davros123, Sep 2, 2014.

1. davros123

davros123 Member

Hi Guys, I see the Surface Pro 3 is relegated to the Mobiles section...imho (and after playing ARMA 3 on mine) this is a significant error.

Any other Pro 3 users out there who think this should be in this section or have any thoughts ontheir (freaking amazing) device?

I got the keyboard (of cource) and the docking station and these totally make this desktop replacement. For me this IS the magical device that I have been waiting for.

2. lionman

lionman Member

Awaiting delivery of mine. So excited!

Should definitely be considered a portable pc and not a mobile device.

3. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

Manager at work has a 3. It gets so hot you could cook an egg on it.

Personally I think the device is pretty well there but I'm interested in the next iteration perhaps with Windows 10. Having said that, Microsoft have been sketchy at best with the Surface road map.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Noticed this with one a mate bought for his mrs. Very very toasty when worked hard.

I think the surface 4 is where things are going to get interesting...

http://www.zdnet.com/intel-releases...or-business-class-convertible-pcs-7000033368/

5. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

We have an original Surface Pro for my partners Uni. This things is amazing, decent speed and potable.

She is doing Digital Media so it's great to get home and plug it into the large LCD and then pick it up and take it to Uni to continue work.

It does get hot though.

6. mtw

mtw Member

I have the SP2, it's great and would highly recommend a Surface Pro to anyone looking for a laptop unless it's specifically needed for gaming.

I'll probably upgrade mine when the SP4 comes out, and hopefully it will have W10 :)

7. dragmor

dragmor Member

I just don't understand why they went for an active pen. Who wants to keep more batteries around. Plus I already have a nice selection of wacom pens to choose from.

8. voltare1

voltare1 Member

SP1 is wacom, none of the SP active pens need batteries,

I've lost 2 active pens already :( The galaxy Note (tablet and phone) pens work on surface, and Vs Vs

9. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Wacom digitizer stack is thicker than the N-Trig stack they used apparently and Adds to cost of production.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  10. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

GF has the original SP. She got it some time after the SP2 was released for cheap. That thing has oodles of power and is very portable.

Personally I'm waiting for a 4G version with longer battery life.

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

SP3 pen uses a AAAA battery.

12. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

pull em out of 9V batteries :D

13. dragmor

dragmor Member

And they only last a month with light use, two weeks if taking notes with it 6hrs a day 5 days a week.

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Having owned a SP1 for a long time, Ill say that an SP3 (currently have) is miles better in every department :thumbup:

Although as you state, the lack of sim card slot is utter BS IMO, its the only feature its really lacking and would truly make this thing a mobile device!

Your other pens will be capacitive and using the touch screen, not the specialized wacom screen of the tablet.

The SP3 pen takes an AAAA battery as perviously stated, and is loads better than the previous ones.

Yeah.... cant say ive replaced a battery in mine yet, and ive had it since release, although I dont really use it for anything either :thumbdn:

15. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

I love the new form-factor. 16:9 was a dumb ratio for a work-focused tablet, 4:3 is heaps better, as is the thin body.

But from a performance perspective the very similar hardware to the SP2 means that the CPU is only marginally faster (10-20%) than the SP1 although the GPU is much faster. Furthermore the SP3 is much more thermally constrained than the SP2. Battery life for SP2/3 is apparently around eight hours with light web browsing, compared to the five hours with the original Surface Pro. This was a good jump but I'm hoping for more :)

I'm hoping that Microsoft will use the new Broadwell chips with 6W TDP's. Should give crazy battery life and less throttling.

16. Namheul

Namheul Member

It's actually a 3:2 ratio, but close enough :)

I'm waiting for the SP4 to upgrade my SP2 - SP3 was not a big enough upgrade in my opinion.

17. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I don't see the problem with it not having SIM card slots. People have smartphones or 4G Wi-Fi modems right? Just use Wi-Fi/BT/USB tethering and be done with it. Wi-Fi doesn't get outdated and works anywhere in the world, unlike 3g/4g which can vary wildly based on what carrier you want to use.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  18. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

Each to their own.

It depends on how and where you use the device. If you don't have wifi and want to quickly look something up you could just whip out your 3G tablet and do a google search. But if you've only got a wifi tablet you'll need to grab your phone, turn on hotspot, grab your tablet, connect to the wifi network once it finds it (if it finds it) and then do your search. Takes too long and uses up your phones battery.

On the other hand, if you've always got Wi-Fi, get the Wi-Fi version.

The issue of 3G/4G compatibility and life-span can be a real issue but if you choose wisely you'll be fine. For instance the new iPad supports an astonishing 20 LTE bands (!!!) including future networks from Telstra and Optus.

19. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

IDK about you, but using my phone as a hotspot for 3g/4g on my laptop smashes its battery life, hence my desire for a sim slot in these things.

20. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah it smashes my battery life too. Which is why I have spare batteries if it goes flat. I suppose this would be a problem if you have a phone with a small battery which isn't removable (eg iPhone).

If I just needed to look something up quickly, I'd just use my phone and get on with it. Lol.

I also dislike the idea of paying an extra data plan just to have internet on my mobile device, which I might use a LOT one month and not at all the next month. It really does depend what you use it for I guess.