Microsoft Surface...

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Deeman, May 30, 2007.

1. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Remember those incredible touchscreen ads you used to see where people shuffled around pictures and the like on a touchscreen?

Microsoft want you to meet Microsoft Surface.

Who knows how far away from sale it is, but i have to admit, it looks incredible...

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

2. ╙╢me

╙╢me Member

Apparently its available already, not sure about the aussie market though..

I could implement them right now, if anyone knows if they are coming to the aussie market, let me know!

3. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

It does look awesome. Dread to think how much something like this will cost though :D

4. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

5. OP
    OP
    Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Winter 2007, according to the Surface website - and desiging the software would be a nightmare, but from the videos they've listed on the site, the possibilites are pretty damn impressive.

I would pay incredible amounts of money for a table like that.

Yeah - I did a search, but figured this would require a bit more discussion in here. :)

6. Da Madness

Da Madness Member

I think they already have this (or at least something VERY similar) at the panasonic show room in Tokyo.

7. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

How does it interact with the other electronics, such as the camera and the Zune? And that thing with the credit cards is a great idea :D

8. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I'm assuming either bluetooth, wifi or eventually WUSB. Proximity sensors will pick up an object, draw a circle around the object and then communicate with the device.

9. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

That's what I assumed, but then most cameras don't have bluetooth do they? I guess it's just a 'vision' of the future possibilities.

10. Big Trev

Big Trev Member

That shit is so cool..... :thumbup:

11. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

it looks alright, i wouldn't get it though, i imagine its fair overpriced for something that is essentially unneccessary

12. OP
    OP
    Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

I could take that quote and apply it to pretty much any 'consumer' IT product released in the last 10 years...

13. flurex

flurex Member

14. OP
    OP
    Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

That's the one I was thinking of in my post... wasn't an ad, was a video, it appears. I vaguely remember seeing something like this on Beyond Tomorrow a while back too.

- I wonder, is he referring to the MS keynote about this?

From the MS-page, they've been working on this since 2003 - i'm not sure that it's necessarily technically difficult, or that nobody had thought of it before - it looks like they've taken the idea, and put a business case and some excellent software features behind it...

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  15. Rezin

Rezin Member

Not the same as this MS version (and the one you linked to) but I've seen this kind of interaction with a music synthesizer too. You would place objects (shapes) on the tabletop and depending on rotation and distance it would alter the sound(s).

16. ╙╢me

╙╢me Member

Yeh actually what was i thinking

I wonder if MS will have the software to run on it, or will everything have to be custom written..?

Im sure MS will have the standard picture apps etc, but what about the Point of sale and credit card things...

And the restaurant split the bill 5 ways!

Scary amount of programming there

17. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Been thinking about this for the past hour or so, the ways this technology could be used.

Think about this:

In a restaurant. You sit down, the table detects someone has sat down, which is displaying a visualisation that fits the mood of the place, and displays a button in the middle of each placesetting saying "What do you want to order?". You press it, and it brings up a menu of everything the restaurant has, prices, drink recommendations, specials, everything. You order, and the visualisation comes back to the foreground. Want to order another drink? Press Order again and it will bring up the same menu, and select a drink. When it comes to paying, place your credit card/s on the table, and it will interact with the RFID chips in them, and you can pay for all the meal, or split it between multiple cards.

At an airport, you would place your phone on it, and it will display your calender, emails etc etc etc.

At a shop. You would place an item on a table, and it would communicate with a label on the item with an RFID chip in it, and would display the price of it, its features, reviews from the net, and maybe even a button saying "price match" or "get the best price" and will communicate with the inventory system and get the best price possible for you, and display the stock levels.

In a clothes shop, it could be built into the mirrors in the change rooms. You could take a photo of your self with a built in camera, and email it to your friends etc. It would display price, info about the brand, and info about anything else in the store that fancies you. If it doesnt fit, you could order another size, which you would collect from the entry to the change room. You could buy it right there in the change room by swiping your credit card on the screen, communication with an RFID chip and charge the card.

This type of technology, if implemented correctly, and marketted correctly, could change the way we shop, and dine. This to me is a very exciting peice of technology :p

18. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

All those things are shown on the site :weirdo: :D

19. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

They are? Shit. heh.

20. ╙╢me

╙╢me Member

ROFL Moda!

Check out the vids they have, the one on the right called the possibilities.