1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft to acquire ZeniMax/Bethesda

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Sep 21, 2020.

1. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

this is a big oof but i dunno for who! I wonder if they'll allow their games to be on PS5 with a helfty slice of the sales.

3. PureFire

PureFire Member

This could be business as usual or go real bad. I hope for the former

4. chook

chook Member

While I was never a console gamer this makes the Xbox even more valuable to me. I would never buy a PS because Sony done me wrong many years ago but an Xbox has always been a consideration because of the potential for a "hyperconverged" house.

5. power

power Member

6. Tinian

Tinian Member

Didn't play the last Fallout instalment, but I'm not too bothered about this. The Xbox sees little use anyway and with the new Xbox Game Pass app, I expect nothing of substance will change for the Master Race.

7. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Perhaps they can give Todd Howard a swift kick up the arse to make a game that's actually decent.

I actual see the Game Pass thing as a very big deal. For a lot of people it offers quite a bit of value, blends their ecosystems together really wel and really does drive everything they have towards a unified service.

I'm hugely in favour of having a PC (PMR ideology can go fuck itself, I'd rather have all the choice) and a console to give me the best broad range to choose from and this upcoming generation has made it a genuinely difficult decision to choose which way to go in Sony vs. MS.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  8. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

If you have a PC, you don't need the Xbox. Doesn't make sense to have both since pretty much all Xbox games also get released on PC. Easy decision to go PC + PS5 if you want a console.

Luno and Sphinx2000 like this.
  9. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Yes, but also life circumstances too. With a 1 year old that can require drop of a hat attention, any form of rest/sleep mode on a console far outweighs a PC. My PC is used sparingly currently due to this fact.

10. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

So that means you don't have proper access to a PC. So my point stands, if you have a PC and can actually use it, then no point of having the Xbox.

11. Tinian

Tinian Member

Sorry I may not have been clear - I don't see it as a negative given I still do the vast majority of my gaming on PC. With the Game Pass, I expect there'll be no discernible difference as a result of Microsoft's acquisition.

12. power

power Member

people said this about Rare.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Straight out $10.38 billion AUD worth in cash!
    https://bethesda.net/en/article/1iLtcvwY6Nb1GeKADyDUEX/why-microsoft-is-the-perfect-fit
    Game pass must be a winning strategy for Microsoft (like Office 365)

14. Tinian

Tinian Member

Keep in mind two aspects Microsoft would've learnt from; buying successful IP and not having Ballmer set corporate direction.

15. Rass

Rass Member

I'm cautiously optimistic that this means that the Fallout franchise will return from being the soulless money generation tool and turn into something fun.
    That's a lot of big IP that they've purchased. I guess we'll see what happens.

16. power

power Member

we'll see. MS have a long and storied history of buying things and making them shite.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I certainly agree when it comes to what's happened so far. However I'm hoping that the radical and positive changes we've seen in Microsoft these last few years extend to gaming.

The biggest change is that the "new Microsoft" seem willing to let staff experiment, rather than forcing everyone to toe the corporate line. Again, I hope we see that extend through to this acquisition.

And specific to Fallout, I've got a console save game with around 40 hours where all 5 paths are locked due to documented game bugs. So any financial boost to their QA team would be particularly welcome, as that's a game I really wanted to see an ending for, but can't be stuffed doing that all over again.

I hear this everywhere, but I think folks need to be careful about confirmation bias.

PS4 outsold XBOne almost 2:1. Unit production numbers for pre-orders still suggest PS5 is going to take an early lead in this generation too. (Happy to be proven wrong, but do far that's the data to hand).

Yes, Game Pass is a brilliant idea, and excellent value for lots of people. No, I don't think it's enough across a customer base that is very different to your average OCAUer.

18. power

power Member

40 hours? So you've done the intro? :D

also, everyone's thinking it - now that Obsidian and Fallout are under the same roof - New Vegas 2?

Rass likes this.
  19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Actually, I think it's a lot more. Quite literally 3 years of on and off play, and 5 different story paths locked. Likely closer to 70 hours at a guess (can't be stuffed firing up the save game to find out).

Looked them up in wikis and things, and all are documented game-breaking bugs. The "solution" on PC is to pull down a console and type a magic command to "cheat" and mark the quest as complete, but of course no method or patch available for console, because fuck them, right? Very frustrating, particularly when it's FIVE DIFFERENT PATHS. After the first, I was "oh well, can't do that story, have heaps of options, not to worry". Four more later, and you could hear my eyes rolling a suburb away.

------------------------------------------------------

On topic, a quick dig of who Zenimax's subsidiaries are:

* Alpha Dog Games: Bunch of mobile phone crap
    * Arkane Studios: Dark Messiah, Prey, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Deathloop
    * Bethesda: Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and one weird drag racing game
    * id (as part of Bethesda): Doom/Quake (appears to be fighting over Hexen/Heretic with Activisiion still), Rage, Commander Keen
    * Machine Games: co-developed Wolfenstein and recent Quake titles
    * Roundhouse Studios: ex Human Head employees. Prey, Rune, Rune II, Brink, Defiance, Quiet Man, Dungeon Defenders II
    * Tango Gameworks: The Evil Within 1 and 2
    * Zenimax Online: Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, that fucking awful Commander Keen mobile game that got canned.

Some familiar names in there, but the "Evil Within" folks surprised me.

That's quite the portfolio of both human talent and IP Microsoft have nabbed themselves with a single purchase. At this rate gaming is going to turn into film, where the likes of Disney own half the media IP on planet Earth. I mean, nice that there's money behind this stuff. But I'm not sure if I like the mega-corporatisation of commercial art.

20. Tinian

Tinian Member

That was Ballmer's Microsoft. Nadella's on the other hand is looking a very different beast.