Microsoft Unveils an Open Source Multi-core OS: "Barrelfish"

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by cleary, Oct 2, 2009.

1. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

http://www.barrelfish.org/

Barrelfish is a new research operating system being built from scratch in a collaboration between ETH Zurich in Switzerland and Microsoft Research Cambridge in the UK. We are exploring how to structure an OS for future multi- and many-core systems. We are motivated by two closely related trends in hardware design: first, the rapidly growing number of cores, which leads to a scalability challenge, and second, the increasing diversity in computer hardware, requiring the OS to manage and exploit heterogeneous hardware resources.

Download page: http://www.barrelfish.org/release_20090914.html

Coverage on:
    Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/29/microsoft-unveils-barrelfish-multi-core-optimized-os/
    Hack-a-day: http://hackaday.com/2009/10/01/microsoft-unveils-open-source-multi-core-os/#comments

--------------

How bizarre... and the name, it's got so many connotations ... "fish in a barrel" - I wonder who that could refer to?

My favourite comment:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

I've got a bad feeling about this...

3. danielfortesque

danielfortesque Member

Anything that involves Microsoft and Open-Source is going to be either a failure or something close to a failure. It's obviously Microsoft's pathetic way of sticking their ugly head into a sector that it is not welcome. But they're sticking they're head in anyway. I can't help but wonder though, how much of the project is/will be open-source and how much they're hiding in the background. I think I'll stick to linux for now where I know that I own the operating system! :D

4. Swathe

and no doubt using the bsd license for a possible apple type exploitation?

5. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

why do i gt a feeling this is Microsoft's way of rubbishing the open source community by releasing a half arsed product then pulling said users to their other close sourced paid products.

6. creator311

creator311 Member

it does sound a little fishy :p

it could be a good thing if people pick up on it and there is no limit.

its not like Microsoft is gona start stealing ideas :Paranoid:

anyway who said Linux entirely open sore anyway?
    so many companies out there registering parts of Linux as their own ie Redhat

Microsoft should be welcomed, and the idea about poking its head in where is doesnt belong, is like saything Obama should not be allowed to talk to Krud

7. Swathe

I am thinking along the lines of being apple to run windows applications and the like to lure people from linux.

8. T-O-D

T-O-D Member

Hopefully.... Hopefully....

an Open Source OS with DirectX support???

If i could get a major OSOS (OpenSourceOperatingSystem :p) like Fedora, Ubuntu etc with DirectX support, I'd be there already. So maybe with Microsoft supporting this one, it might be the first?

9. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i bet microsoft will find a way to make this open source "not so open" and not play well with other open source OS and then start blaming the open source community and make it their fault. thereby bagging the open source community. there has got to be something in it for microsoft to make it worth their while to do this.

10. Hamal

Hamal Member

Rather than be forced to implement a closed standard on an Open System, the solution should be to force developers to support Open Standards on Open and closed systems.

Microsoft's efforts to undermine Open Standards is unforgivable.

11. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Sounds simply like a way that Microsoft and other interested parties can openly work on an experimental OS from the ground up - I doubt they will ever produce an actual working OS that people use, or that this will replace "Windows"

They are simply looking at the issue of multi-core computing and trying to work out the best way to go about handling that.

12. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

in other words get the community to do its R&D for it for free. GG microsoft.

13. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Doesn't really work like that any more - increasingly the industry is deciding on certain standards and methods for hardware and software and its projects like that that help decide where to go and what to do.

14. Crinos

Crinos Member

You might like to get your facts straight before making statements like that. Red Hat are one only a few companies that reliably release all of their improvements to open source software used in their OS, and are the single biggest contributor to the kernel itself. Everyone benefits from the changes that Red Hat make, but Red Hat can still successfully sell their OS, despite the fact that it is all available for free(and the CentOS project even conveniently packages it up in a format that's equally easy to install as Red Hat itself).

Yep, closed source software definitely should exist, should be allowed to flourish alongside open source software, but open standards are the only way to have a level playing field when it comes to consumer choice, which is the key to successful capitalism.

Wait I use Linux, I, um, die capitalist scum!

15. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

when it comes to open standards many closed source companies have bastardised the open standard to tilt it their way that a much more enforceable rules should be made. one that severely punishes whoever does this.

16. Frazzman

Frazzman Member

uhhhhh. its a research operating system - they are building it to nut out ideas and concepts that they can use in future products -- the fact that it is open source is irrelevant, its not Microsoft conspiring to bring down the open source community or any of this other garbage being sprouted.

their researchers put it together to find new things, found their results interesting, so they released it.

of course features from this operating system are going to be used in their closed source paid alternatives.

17. Forge

Forge Member

A monopoly is the key to successful capitalism.

Let's not forget, if nobody gets paid, nothing gets done. Someone has to pay for research to be done, why can't they profit from it on the back end. Even the linux kernel is funded by capitalist organisations with their own agendas.

I for one think that this research is a Good ThingTM.

18. Mavrick

Mavrick Member

I think MS are doing this just to satisfy the EU. They've been kicked so many times by them so far, haha.

It's their way back into Europe folks.

19. 0restes

0restes (Banned or Deleted)

reminds me of Apple, build the core of the OS, make sure everythings working and when it is it's the case of we'll take that, this project isn't working the way it should bai guys thanks for the source, we'll use it to build our x86 fork.

BSD windows? Strange things happen...

20. oupimiquo

oupimiquo Member

*troutslap*

Anyway, this looks like a really interesting project to me. I've actually been working on something vaugely similar for a while, but with a few other twists. My main focus has actually been on memory performance - you can actually do NUMA-style memory partitioning even on Core2 systems (though not as nicely as Athlon64 systems, and it involves undocumented hacking of the memory controller). Single-threaded performance goes down, since only one channel gets used, but with all four cores going you can get much closer to theoretical limits.