Microsoft VB6

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by John Archer, Mar 12, 2021.

1. John Archer

John Archer New Member

Hi all, I am looking for a training course or willing individual with extensive knowledge on VB6 programming/runtime/database structure. I have a heap of machines at work that use VB6 and the local resource has become unavailable so it is now left up to me to learn or find someone to teach/guide me in the right direction. I am aware there are youtube clips etc but it would be nice to have someone I can turn to for questions etc. Cheers in advance..

2. power

power Member

isn't VB dead? Time to migrate.

3. OP
    OP
    John Archer

John Archer New Member

Yes it is, but i cannot migrate without sufficient understanding of the current language and architecture..

4. power

power Member

makes sense i guess, sorry i can't help any further. hopefully someone else has some more relevant ideas.

5. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Oh gosh, there's a throwback. It was already beginning to be out of date when it was taught as part of my HSC Software Design course. Following to see how this goes.

6. Jazper

Jazper Member

I know a fair bit of VBA (which will probably never die and is close to VB6) .. you can tap me on the shoulder if you want to

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

VB6 is a super-set of what you get in VBA, so references/tutorials etc. for VBA will get you the basics.

other than that you'll probably have to find some books - you know the dead tree kind - as VB6 is largely before Microsoft 'got' the internet. remember VB6 is more than 20 years old. well and truly depreciated.

you can also look at the VB.Net but it'll have a lot of stuff that's not in VB6.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Oooh yeah technical debt. Who doesn't love holding a whole business to ransom over that, eh?

Maaaaany years ago I worked for an organisation where the second most senior programmer had this book on his desk:

9780672315336.jpg

He quite proudly told people that he had no tertiary education, nor formal qualifications, and that one book was his entire learning resource to do his job, which was build the warehousing, logistics, CRM and POS software for a very large national retailer.

I've since seen that book floating around for $1 in "reverse garbage" type recycling places, cash converters, second hand shops, etc. Or you can borrow it for free from the archive.org library:
    https://archive.org/details/samsteachyours00perr

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Oh dear. This reminds me of an old job (15 years ago) where they wanted me to migrate VB6 to VB dot net on a fucking boat and I get sea sick. Programmer stored lost of stuff in the registry.

10. Yehat

Yehat Member

hmm VB6...I'd like to hear from OCAU resident expert Denethor, on what he prescribes:

Thanks Denethor! Wise words.

@OP
    • What's your own personal experience level with programming? i.e. Do you have any previous exposure to VB6 at all ? What about any other programming languages ? The reason is if you can use any other common procedural based language vb6 will be quite reasonable to pick up quickly imho.
    • How critical is the application to your work / business ?
    • Also if the source code is not secret squirrel type stuff, you could upload it somewhere online and link it? It'll help to get an idea of how complex it is, both in terms of what it's doing functionally and also how it's been implemented.
    The complexity & importance to your business vs the amount of experience/comfort you have with the technology, will give an idea of if you're better off taking Denethor's advice....Or other options are to see if there's something else off the shelf (if possible?) which can do what this software does (I know it's less likely as VB6 applications can often be very bespoke in nature). Or failing that, bringing in a contractor/company to re-do it, compared to trying to migrate it yourself (if you find you're not comfortable).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Cold hard truth: if you're not a programmer, and this is actually important to your business, probably better to hire someone to convert it across to something modern and maintainable (AND THEN MAINTAIN IT), rather than just writing your own spaghetti code to replace someone else's spaghetti code, and ending up in the same place in another 5 years.

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Long ago, software used to ship with documentation included!

The best source for information about VB6 is the MSDN Library that shipped with it: https://winworldpc.com/product/msdn/vs-60

Obviously that's a dodgy copy, but I would suggest that shouldn't worry you, or at least that it shouldn't worry you nearly as much as relying on software that has been unsupported for just shy of 13 years now.

13. power

power Member

food analogies are the worst, i just want spaghetti now.

but as elvis has rightly pointed out, the business has skated by spending nothing on IT by the sounds of it, time to move to something new, shiny and supported!

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

boo.jpeg

First time coder reworking previous first time coders efforts.

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

you had to pay (a lot) extra to get the MSDN library included.

back around that vintage, I bought both the VisualC++ and VisualBasic 6 packages, the VC came with 20KG of manuals (I think I still have it actually), VB6 nothing but a quick start guide (unless as mentioned you forked out the for Pro version that came with MSDN)

theSeekerr likes this.
  16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

True, true, but MSDN CDs used to get passed around like mad...

I work for a company that still develops our primary product in VB6 so I could almost certainly lay my hands on the real CDs in question....I reckon there might be some within about 10 feet of my desk, even.

(No, we're not looking to take on other people's problems. We don't do contract work, we have our own problems, like not having pivoted away from VB6 13 years ago)

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Whatever you do, don't learn VB. VB will not provide any value to you personally or professionally, friends don't let friends learn VB.

VB is for "smart" business people who aren't engineers, along with it's partner-in-crime Access, it is responsible for so much technical debt a government will eventually bail it out.

When presented with a project that is currently in VB that needs literally _any_ change (yes, a typo on a string on a widget included) the 'correct' thing to do is figure out what it does, in the broadest of terms, then go pay someone (maybe even yourself) to write it in a language that is capable of being maintained. c#/dotnet is typically the easiest thing to migrate VB to.

Source: I work somewhere with an important VB project, we are currently having the whole thing looked over to be re-written in c# because no good engineers know/want to know VB so you can't attract good talent to work on it, so then you have to settle. You don't wanna settle. Settling gets you VB.

Fitzi, gav1ski, elvis and 1 other person like this.