Microsoft Xbox One, Xbox One S Discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 17, 2011.

1. AMD64

AMD64 Member

Its soldered onto the boards and with the machines getting smaller and smaller, and the ram amounts getting bigger and bigger I don't really see that changing. Its cheaper for them to solder it then to provide DIMM slots.

2. The Beast

The Beast Member

It's neither easy nor obvious. The one saving grace of console design is that it remains fixed throughout its life span. Fixing the specs gives console their biggest draw card for consumers - it just works. Once you start factoring in variables like some machines having more RAM, you add confusion amongst consumers (they're not all OCAU regulars after all). Publishers will always take the conservative route and enure their game works on the lowest spec machine, and many will not bother taking the time to add better textures or more polys (for example) so the extra RAMonly ends up getting used by a few first party showcases.

That's why devs were so excited for 8gb GDDR5 on the PS4, they know this is the minimum they have to work with, and that both machines will have at least 8gb of ram. PS4 is unified, which devs wanted, we'll see soon what the 720 contains. Personally I hope they match the PS4 which will make multiplats brilliant on either system.

3. iinsom

iinsom Member

I remember when i bought DK64 a long time ago, and it didnt come with the expansion memory. I was devastated cause i couldnt play it (until we eventually got it replaced)

4. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

you saying the 360 couldn't do backwards compat? cause it did.. for a limited amount of titles... but it made them look freakin awesome... which is a first for backwards compat in my opinion

original xbox was x86 based technically (was a modified p3 chip if i recall)... maybe we'll get a lot of xbox classics on the new xbox? lol

i doubt they'll do 360 backwards compat... ps4 isn't and seeing how MS kinda lost interest in releasing the compatibility updates for the 360 its highly unlikely simply based on that... let alone technical implications.

5. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I'm excited, but not wake up at 3AM excited.

Well I'll have lots to look at tomorrow morning!

Yay Xbox!

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Strongly rumored to be called Xbox Infinity. I like the name tbh...it looks better written than it does spoken (too many syllables). If the name is true, I hope this mock up of the logo also is

[​IMG]

7. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

infinity or loop are cool names, but so is 720. That is a mock by a reddit user, its not real.. Maybe it will be called Xbox 360u?

8. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

It's now called Xbox One

[​IMG]

9. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Just finished watching the full conference...highlights:

• Official name is Xbox ONE (now we have brand confusion with the Xbox 1 :rolleyes: ) Pretty crappy name to be honest, I liked xbox infinity
    • 8 Gb RAM. Now those Sony fanbois can STFU. Pretty sure it is GDDR5 the same as the PS4 (edit: OK the ram is DDR3, so I guess they can still brag lol)
    • Heavy focus on Kinect. Brand new Kinect sensor included with every console
    • Heavy focus on Multimedia, streaming tv etc
    • USB 3.0, Bluray, 500Gb hdd, wifi 802.11n, Wifi Direct, x64 architecture
    • "3 operating systems in 1" Xbox OS, the Windows Kernel and one for task switching
    • New FIFA, Madden, NBA and UFC games being premiered on the new console
    • Forza 5
    • New Remedy game "Quantum Break"
    • 15 exclusives in the first 12mths of which 8 are new IPs
    • Live action Halo TV series directed by Steven Spielberg :rolleyes:
    • Some new cutscene footage of COD: Ghosts

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

they've fucked up... I've been a massive 360 fan and have 3 consoles... xbox 1 (the actual original xbox 1) was great too... but this... wtf...

its styled like a VHS player, has a massively retarded name and isn't focused on games like it bloody well should be...

screw you Microsoft... i'm very disappointed and I've only just begun looking through info from the announcement :(

11. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Yes, the design is pretty plain....obvious they were leaning towards it looking like that so it matches in with all the rest of your components in the cabinet

I dont know how I feel about the kinect being standard now.... that means there is going to be an influx of crappy motion games or every game having kinect support/features

Im actually leaning towards a PS4 now after watching that

12. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

I don't think I've been so underwhelmed by a console unveil before.

13. The Beast

The Beast Member

Watching the stream now (a few hours late)

35mins in and thoroughly unimpressed. Nothing standing out as next gen and all the cable TV tie in is aimed squarely at the US market.

Rumours said MS would target EU this time - guess they were wrong.

Sony Stock Price Jumps 8% Following Xbox One Event

Nuff said?

Not much new to see here from MS. The large focus on cloud is a mistake, this is what the 'always online' rumour must be based on. Also sounds like the WinRT kernel uses web based apps - hope they don't need an internet connection just to function (ie: the video editor they spoke about), or peeps gonna be pissed.

EA have sold out to MS, which again will strengthen Xbox One is the US. Just mentioned Madden, NBA Live and UFC in the states and you've got 94.56% of the male population drooling.

I'll buy one, but only when I move to the US mid next year and I can see it being used primarily by my gf as an overpriced remote control.

edit: omg, Forza 5 teaser looked like freakin NFS gameplay - ie: shit. If MS continue their proprietary wheel licence bollocks this gen they can kiss that one goodbye. Releasing F5 as a launch title is clever, they know the US press will rate it highly, and it will finally get GT level sales figures to match its metacritic score.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  14. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

at least they are including a kinect with every system sold - guess it markets towards familes who dont want to hae to buy an extra system just to play kinect games for their younger kids etcetc

sure there will probably be a influx in kinect games, donest mean you need to play them.

any word on being region free?

15. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Just look how huge the console is, seeing people standing next to it really gives it context rather than on flashy video clips

[​IMG]

uggggly

16. The Beast

The Beast Member

No but there is news about it blocking second hand games. :tongue::thumbup: Nice one MS.

Given this console might as well be called Microsoft One: America F#@k Yeah, I doubt it's going to be region free.

17. unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

So I went nes > snes > PSone > Xbox > Xbox 360 + PS3. But I've always upgraded my pc along the way and played PC games. I think now a days I rather a console, for the sake of chilling on a bean bag, big screen, home theatre etc. I already sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day at work.
    While I don't feel wowd about thus reveal, Xbox one will be a day one purchase. I think we'llsee and hear a lot more at E3. I suppose they did show more then the ps3 reveal. For me, im after an all in one entertainment system. I just hope it plays mkvs!!!!
    Does thishave an aerial jack for tv? Or is it all based on Internet streaming? That will be a problem for Aussies with shitty internet and expensive Telco plans.
    But i do like thr mutlitasking. Hope it is lag free. The 360 suffered while in game and using thr guide.

No release date was said, but the cod: ghost release was 5/11/13. So perhaps that's an idea of rough release date.

Next is cost. Id pay up to $1k. Considering its a game console, bluray, pvr. Hmm suppose I should start selling my 360 and ps3 before they're worth nothing

18. trop

trop Member

Just had to check it wasn't april 1st.... seriously that is one fucking hideous console. There are nicer HTPC cases around than that thing.

19. hosh0

hosh0 Member

I know with the Sony PS4 unveil I said I don't care what it looks like because it will just sit in my entertainment unit, but I'm not sure that thing will even fit! It looks longer than my AMP!

20. pittster

pittster Member

LOL sleep deprived Angry Joe