1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Xbox One, Xbox One S Discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Marksman X

Marksman X Member

I'll buy it / day one purchase. But god damn Forza better improve it's looks by then!

2. The Beast

The Beast Member

MKV's? Not a chance in hell.

[​IMG]

It seems to use a simple HDMI pass through. Again, this is very US centric, as they all use cable boxes for their TV. Will be fairly useless for Aussies.

I gotta laugh, PS3 launched with all that 7 years ago and people shat a chicken at the $1k price.

BTW, I don't think Xbox One will have any PVR capability, rather you can plug your PVR into the Xbox. It only has a 500Gb internal drive which is not user serviceable.

Apparently it supports external storage via USB 3 which can be used for everything (good news seeing as every game must be installed to HDD), but if I know MS they will only support overpriced MS HDDs :rolleyes:.

3. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

I wonder if they've bothered to get the japanese dev community on their side with this.

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Visually it's nothing special, but for those with HT gear, it will probably match up well with the general square design.

To me it reminds me of a TiVo :)

While i assume the PS4 will look better based on the little preview and some mockups of that video, we know that Microsoft can't have no RROD scenario again, so they've made it as reliable as possible, and maybe part of that was skimping on the fancy design, that plus they want to blend well with you existing AV gear.

5. claf-43

claf-43 Member

I always buy new consoles/handhelds (well except the Vita) but I just can't say I'm hanging out for this.

They really need to reassure me they won't turn off Live for 360 in the very near future and in turn risk losing all purchased content.

500gb seems awfully small for compulsory installs, esp with blu-ray....

And the less said about requiring Kinect the better, that's just terrible.

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

I don't know if it requires kinect, rather it is just shipped with every console. Granted I havent really read much since watching the conference...so I may be wrong

7. claf-43

claf-43 Member

They have said it's required.

8. iinsom

iinsom Member

Anyone have a link to the conference?

9. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Go on IGN or any number of gaming websites... it'd be all over it.

10. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Give me the new controller for use on my PC and I'm done here.

11. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

no doubt it'd blend in with HT gear (i have quite a decent setup myself)... but when i say blend in... i mean "you won't notice it cause its plain and ugly"...

i agree with the "XBOX American F%@k Yeah" comments... i've been referring to it other places as the "Xbox US Entertainment System" cause thats all they really give a shit about...

i'll wanna see some awesome games come out before i ever consider this system... never thought i'd be more keen on a sony console going into next gen... but i really am...

12. Marksman X

Marksman X Member

Heard rumour that the console will not be required to be 'always online', however developers have the ability to write the game so that it takes advantage of the "Microsoft Azure Cloud Computer assets to perform computing functions beyond the scope of what the One can do on its own"

13. claf-43

claf-43 Member

I'd need to see alot more about the games...

The problem is this year the big year end games will be on all the systems, like Assassins Creed 4, Call of Duty, Destiny, Watch Dogs...

Unless they are developed from the ground up for the new machines, they'll just look like shinier ports, akin to the Wii U.

It'd be atleast a year till we see something designed purely for this IMHO. The Xbox to 360 transition took a while, Burnout, BF2MC, COD2 looked like upscaled ports at best. So I have no reason to suggest it would't be the same here.

I won't buy it for a Halo game, and I'm still enjoying the current Forza games, so that won't be the big enticer. And as said above, the media capabilities are so US centric it's not funny, and I'm not paying for countless subscriptions either.

I also have NFI why they redesigned a great controller too.

14. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Looks like a cheap $600 Acer you'd select from the back of an Office Works catalogue. This should be sub $300 on launch.

15. power

power Member

Actually I was thinking the same thing, the outgoing slim is a really nice looking device - this actually does look like a cheap slim PC.

16. claf-43

claf-43 Member

It better be the same size as HT gear....

I think they have clearly gone the route of making it look like something for your HT rather then a games console, probably saved alot of money in the process too. Which SHOULD keep the cost down.

17. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Just read most of the details.
    Not really impressed by any of the features outside of it being a gaming console.
    Dont care about DVR, Sports or Live TV (which you need to buy an add-on for).

As a gaming console, it seems to be trailing behind the PS4. HOWEVER everything hasnt been announced yet so ill save my final judgement.

I knew Xbox would be going the "media hub" route, but if i end up paying $100's more for media features ill never use, i think im going to skip the Xbox for the time being.

Also....that design is horrible. Not that i care a whole lot, but really....make it look atleast KIND of appealing.

Black box + silver accents :sick:

18. Marksman X

Marksman X Member

Must say the only game that looked any good was Quantum Break, the rest looked like it wasn't ready for public display.

19. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Maybe I'm just getting old but this was definitely a pretty epic fail of a reveal.

Someone with some good ideas will make use of the increased capabilities of the Kinect2 and the high powered console itself, but otherwise this generation of consoles is all about old world media trying to claw its way back into relevancy through defective-by-design digital media delivery systems.

There really isn't anything new here, technology-wise, for gamers at all.

20. Wink

Wink Member

How it looks will be moot, (noone will ever say I won't buy an XBox because it will look bad in my entertainment unit) but the design is horrid - they stuck two un-identical rectangular blocks together - that's basically it.