Microsoft Xbox One, Xbox One S Discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 17, 2011.

1. miicah

miicah Member

First xbox was pretty reliable from what I remember

2. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

it could also kill a medium to large mammal if dropped from a height of 1ft or more.

3. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

And Microsoft track record is every second release is a pile of shit, so the next Xbox console should be pretty reliable.

4. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

care to back that up?

the only failure that comes to mind, was WinME. (Vista doesnt count, as it was actually perfectly fine. slow HW manufacturer compliance/development was the real issue).

DOS - all good.
    Win286 - great for what it was.
    Win3 - breakthrough
    win3.1 even better. - followed on to 3.11 and then
    WinNT3.5.
    Win95 - dont knock it. it was bloody awesome you know it.
    Win98 - people usually only recognize SE because of the addons it brought. but it was at best a service pack for 98.
    ME.. yeh lets not go there.
    XP - arguably the best release from MS ever.
    Vista - Great OS, Poor dev support.
    7 - yeah.. OS win.

5. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Dude, it was more of a tongue in cheek comment... but looking from Win 98 onwards, including Vista it has been pretty steady Good release, bad release, good release, bad release, good release. I agree Vista was good, but you needed much patience to get it working correctly.

While the 360 has become better, at launch it was still pretty unreliable. Hopefully MS put some more effort into quality control this time round.

6. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

do not forget the debacle with the original xbox release. same with ps2.

xbox - ooo, nice lens you have there.. i would hate for it to lose focus.

7. iinsom

iinsom Member

Isnt BR a sony patent? And they wouldnt release it to M$?

8. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

Panasonic, Philips and Sony own the majority of the patents for Blu-ray.

Sony dont have to agree to it. (though if they want commissions they will)

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

though sony can't stop MS either way because it's not up to Sony but to the Blu-ray association to make that decision. so even if sony abstained MS would still get the rights to use BD if they chose to.

but i believe the real issue is the implementation of Java and how the version MS released is not the real version of Java which is what BDs use for the interactivity in the menus.

10. 1800-gumby

1800-gumby Member

I honestly don't understand why optical storage exists at all anymore. Digital downloads and flash based storage could easily replace optical storage and as bluray hasn't seen anywhere near the take up of DVD so I don't think MS would lose out too much in the home movie media player side of things.

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

digital downloads are only really going to take off when the download speeds are suitable and right now they just suck big time for us on our quotas. though i am happy that iinet doesn't count xbox live traffic to your quota.

12. Zee

Zee Member

Fuck that. I don't want my game tied to one console. I have 3 in my place, and I like to be able to take the game form my lounge room to my bedroom.

Each console runs a different profile, and I play a different "difficulty" or style of the game for different consoles. EG - for Fable - bedroom is good, lounge is evil, for Halo bedroom is Legendary, lounge is Heroic etc. I don't really care about the status points...

Z...

13. 1800-gumby

1800-gumby Member

You both missed the flash storage part of my post.

Games could be sold on USB or some sort of memory card storage, for those who want a physical copy anyway. It would make the console cheaper and remove issues with lasers and disc based loading times etc. It probably won't happen as it could be hard to market, but I'd still like to see it happen.

14. Zee

Zee Member

Didn't miss it, just doubt they would do it. Look at Microsoft and their annoying way of implementing a USB controller in a non USB port *sigh*. They'll make you buy "proprietary" USB flash keys that cost stupid amounts of money.

Though I do agree, it would make things far simpler and more reliable. A security coded flash device that allows you to save a game to a HDD, but must be connected to play it (kind of like having to have the DVD int he drive to play off your HDD) would make for a more reliable, cheaper console. You'd only need the one drive, too. As you can load your game to as many consoles as you like, but you can only play the game with that particular key attached. Solves my issues, the "Piracy" issue, and could also make the download thing work.

Doubt that'll be done though. They would rather to software to a single console.

Z...

15. kizzav

kizzav Member

+1. Never even thought of that. I certainly don't want the games I pay for, stuck on ONE console for eternity.... until you change licenses, but the number of times you change licenses is limited.

If they did ever consider the flash drive route, you could protect the flash drive hardware-wise, by designing a proprietary USB socket (like the Kinect USB port on the Slim's). That way then, the flash drive can't easily be plugged into a normal USB on a PC, then 'rip' the piracy key from the drive & throw the key on a modified flash drive, that stores multiple keys.

Software-wise, the flash drive could contain the actual bootloader that boots the game. You can install the game to the HDD, but to play it, you need to boot it from the flash drive. Pretty much using the same current principals when booting a game from the HDD, using the disc to boot/verify.

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to not allow the game to be played via the flash drive. It is merely used ONLY as storage medium. The game must be installed to the HDD before any play can commence.

Also, I don't know how good/bad this next idea could go down but I think it could work. If you have multiple consoles, rather than buying multiple copies of the game, 1 flash drive could install the game to multiple consoles, like discs currently can do now.

However, rather than having that 1 flash drive connected at all times when you want to run the game, using the bootloader functionality/idea, you could plug in, install & boot from 1 flash drive on one console, remove the device when permitted by the game & be able to plug in, install & boot the same game from that same single flash drive on another console. The piracy key is 'cached' on the HDD for a limited time, whether it be;
    • A certain number of hours (ie; after 4 hours, it'll ask for the flash drive to be reinserted for key verification)
    • One play session (ie; turn on console, boot the game, verify key, "remove flash drive now", play, turn off console, rinse & repeat)

Just some ideas I had. Have I thought about this too much? It's 2AM....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

you do know that the licence is tied to your gamertag and console? so you can play it on any console. in fact you get 2 licences 1 for the profile and the other for console.

17. iinsom

iinsom Member

Flash drives should be the way of the future!

18. Zee

Zee Member

I have 3 consoles. What if I want to play on the 3rd one? I have unique profiles on each console.

Basically, I figure if I pay for the license, I should be bale to play the game on any console I like, so long as I only play on one at a time.

IT still bugs me a little that I have to buy 2 or 3 copies of a game to play multi with friends, but that's cool, I just pick older titles that are cheap.

I still remember fondly the days of X-wing V Tie Fighter, it came with 2 copies of the game - one was a slave only version, it would only work in multiplayer mode for a second player if that PC was hooked up an playing with someone who was running the full version of the game.

Anyway, I have no faith in the gaming industry (let alone the entertainment industry with movie and music downloads... But that is a whole different level of ranting) )to implement a system that is fair.

Z...

19. Digit

Digit Member

i really don't see the use of flash drives over optical disks

smaller = easier to lose
    not really easier to implement a digital distribution system
    can't be used as coasters if you get sick of the game

20. koolkidd

koolkidd Member

If you check upcoming releases on the LIVE site, MS are actually changing the recover gamer tag with a cloud based system.

It will just ask you to log in, and things like saves, licenses, movies and music (obviously to the space limitations of the cloud, will be available for use. no more license transfers or recover gamer tag, just log into your account.

On another note i can't see games going this way at least until the generation after the coming one. too many risk factors that could cause MS to lose too much money. I can see the digital download portion growing from where it already is, but not taking over from some sort of hard copy