Microsoft Xbox One, Xbox One S Discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Zee

Zee Member

I swear, if some moron decides that all your games end up "in the cloud", I think it will be time to just give up on games altogether...

Z...

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Agreed, i will never buy anything that does that..

3. proffesso

proffesso Member

im not a particular fan, mostly due to the technical problems (lag) but that will eventually be sorted

whats your main issue with "the cloud"

perfect scenario - lag has been elimated, games run at full res / all details and internet is fast and quota free (like japan)

4. Philll

Philll Member

Save games should be on the cloud, but if anyone has tried cloud like solutions for actual games as they currently stand you can quickly see why it gets shunned. Even the menus on such systems render in a horrible pixelated and compressed way. Yuck.

5. proffesso

proffesso Member

agreed on the current tech, but that will improve.

6. ndt

ndt Member

I think the assumption that everyone has high speed internet access is my main issue, My current internet access is fine for browsing, but i can't stream movies through Xboxlive i have to download them first.

quota free: I can see telstra trying monopolizing on this and securing that they are the only ones that have unmetered access.

7. Philll

Philll Member

If it improves then there is no problem for me, as long as there is no difference, but for Australians especially that's a loooooooong way off :(

Then if it goes mobile, we're even further off, don't we get 4G outside of metro areas in 2014-15 or something? Then we'd have to wait for it to be affordable

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i'd rather have the game on my system than play it through a cloud service. i like the idea of it actually sitting on my PC.

9. Philll

Philll Member

So do I, but it's only because we don't know any better and nothing exists to replace that kind of setup

I have my doubts that cloud based gaming @ 1080p with no input lag will ever exist

It sure would get a lot of people into "PC" gaming if it did

There would also be a lot of downsides like not being able to tinker with games or mods, unless somehow you are given an OS to control, which would kind of defeat the purpose of making it this easy

10. Zee

Zee Member

I wont to play a game solo, and I my net is down.

I'm all good with back ups being in the cloud, but as soon as I am prevented from playing I game I bought, with money, because my net is down...

As an example...

My GF has a Kindle Fire. She bough the Steve Jobs eBook. For some reason or another, it was stored "in the cloud". We went to her family home in the Philippines during xmas/new year, and being provincial, they tend to be prone to blackouts.

I was enjoying reading, then we lost power. No problem, I kept reading for another few pages. I put the Kindle down and powered it off (to save battery) whilst I went downstairs to eat (by candle light - how romantic...), went back up, fired up the Kindle, and the book is.. Not available because there is no net connection... ARGH!

OK, it can be stored locally, which I set up once power (and the net) came back on, but if they introduce "cloud only" storage, or "net connection required" type restrictions, then it's just a nightmare all around.

Pretty much where I stand. Back it up in the cloud, sure, so if my HDD crashes, I can download it again, without fuss, to my new HDD, linked to my account (kinda like iTunes/Android). But I want the content stored locally for when I don't have a connection.
    Z...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i don't mind the idea or storing saves/progress to cloud storage just not playing whole games when the national network is just fucking slow and isn't getting any faster thanks to the retards in Canberra!

12. proffesso

proffesso Member

net goes down how often? I think the last time I had net go out was with the electricity...and that was when we had the earthquake here back in march last year.

like I said before, in a perfect world, everyone has fast access etc etc, there really is no complaint to be had from me...just less boxes / cases to put on the shelves :)

13. Zee

Zee Member

At home? Rarely, but I don't want my gaming to stuck to net access. Modems do die, my net connection has screwed up for a few days after a huge storm, it's not like it never happens. I'm quite happy to download the games, I just want them stored locally on my HDD, and I don't want to have to be connected to the net to play a solo game.

Z...

edit - fixed typos. Having a shocking one today...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i like the direction but not the fact that the network is just terribly slow. i get the feeling though that the user is getting less and less of a grip on owning a copy of the software. things like steam are a good mix but not full streaming of games like onlive which is totally useless here and it'll chew up my damn quota!

15. Cask

Cask Member

That would be like returning to the 90's where everyone played crappy online arcade games that absorbed $$$ due to the massive download on your slow-ass dial up. Good times but I'd rather not return.

Physical copies are always better than virtual IMO

However...save files in the cloud would be absolutely fantastic, probably WILL happen with Microsoft promoting Skydrive and all...

16. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

http://www.vortez.net/news_story/xbox_720_to_have_blu_ray.html

Interesting, but I think this is going to be a huge mistake if they do this.

17. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

With the lack of demo's and the loss of a second hand market people will be cautious with what games they buy... Sales will go down, they won't understand why, and everybody loses out in the end :thumbdn:

18. Lichking

Lichking Member

More people will rent them..my housemate does frequently...rarely buys games new..unless it's Halo.

and if it goes to the cloud/digital download then he'll stop gaming full stop.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  19. Sledge

Sledge Member

yep, for console i would never buy one that does that, even though i very rarely sell a game, i usually buy them used.

20. Philll

Philll Member

They could easily implement a renting system if it were to go that way, you just wouldn't have to go to the store and rentals would be timed ones.

As for used games, I guess they'll probably lose out on console sales unless people can sell entire accounts with the units