Microsoft Xbox Project Scorpio Discussion (TBC 2017)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 8, 2016.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-announces-project-scorpio-console/1100-6440786/

EuroGamer: Xbox Project Scorpio: Specs vs PS4 Neo, proposed release date, price, and everything we know http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-05-project-scorpio-specs-release-date-price-xbox

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/project-scorpio

2. ndt

ndt Member

I'm surprised by the high price of the Xbone slim when MS have the Scorpio on its way. Dunno why anyone would buy the slim when this is coming out.

3. power

power Member

I'm not, it's priced for the Christmas season.

4. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I'm surprised as well. But you can get a Xbox One S 500GB Halo Collection Bundle for $399, so i expect some good specials this holiday season. So it's not too bad.

5. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Slim is out a year ahead. Not everyone has a 4K TV. People have a lot of disposable income. Many reasons why someone would get the Slim.

6. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

I grabbed a slim last night, makes sense to grab one over a standalone 4k player, when its $50 cheaper than one!

7. ndt

ndt Member

lol sorry DiGiTaL MoNkEY, I appear to have derailed your post.

I'll likely grab a Scorpio once the price drops below $500, I've wanted to buy the xbox one, but it just seemed under spec compared to the PS4.

8. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Not fussed :thumbup: This was more just a placeholder as information comes in..

Will be interesting to see the cost of the unit and what else they push it to do as well as play games.

9. dreamcaster

dreamcaster Member

Will be keeping an eye on this, picked up an Elite last Christmas so will be keen once this is hopefully out next year. :leet:

10. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Problem and still is the issue in a way with the XB ONE, is the availability of games.

Scorpio might have the fastest this, or the best that.... but if theres either no games to play on it, or no games to exploit that power, then it makes no sense to buy it over a PS4P/XBONE.

Kinda like owning a Ferrari, but having it electronically limited to 20kph.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

My feeling is this will definitely be geared towards VR. Be interesting to hear what headset they will go with in the end.

12. neoprint

neoprint Member

Haven't they already announced they're going with Oculus?

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

Nothing confirmed yet. It's only rumour about Oculus since they ship with a Xbox controller.

14. power

power Member

DF have some details on the console.

15. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

i think microsoft will change their strategy with xbox, and move towards a PC like system where there will only ever be a refreshed version of the console with better specs to enable playing more demanding games. It wont be a "new" console that will only play games for that console generation, but will play all xbox games current present and future. Just like how a PC can lay any game, the only limitation is the hardware. xbox titles will become more scalable so someone can play the latest game on their older xbox at a lower res etc but that same game on the newer console will just be at higher res/4k/high fps etc.

i think it would be a good move forward.

I just got a one S on the weekend to replace my HTPC. i must say as a media player it is awesome running plex/netflix etc with the bonus of playing games from time to time and ability to play 4k blurays. i will probs upgrade to the scorpia when it comes out and every other generation moving forward to cater for my HTPC needs.

16. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I suspect you may be right there.

The One S is a very capable bit of hardware, that is superbly optimised.

It doesn't make sense to refresh all the time now, given the lines between console and PC are bluring (even to the point of XBOX keyboard/mouse support with third party objects, and cross platform multiplayer coming soon).

The XBOX is no longer "just a games console", it's a complete entertainment device.

I'm unsure how Scorpio will go in all honesty, and I think it's success will highly depend on it's price point.

If it comes out asking upwards of $1000, it will turn people off.
    If it comes out asknig upwards of $500, people will tend to sit and wait for a price drop, except those who MUST HAVE the latest and greatest.
    If it comes out asking less than $500, it'll sell off the shelves.

I suspect it'll be in the $500 - $750 range.

Another thing I've noticed is fads like the Kinect tend to be dieing off. Likewise games like Rockband/Guitar Hero did.

Given the OneS allows voice commands too via a headset and Cortana, it is less important again.

MS (and Sony for PS) have already said there will be no Scorpio (or PS4P) exclusive games (with exclusion of VR titles). I think that is a great idea moving forwards.

It's an exciting time to be a console owner.. I've got both the PS4 and XB1S, and whilst I don't care for Nintendo stuff (doesn't interest me), there's no denying that the Switch is a brilliant concept.

17. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

its an exciting time to be a PC and Console owner as they will finally be integrated, and we can play against friends cross platform truly linking the gaming community. just need xbox and playstation to play nice together.

i think 500-750 is right, and will be a good buy if they deliver on their performance promises.

i think the push with the scorpio is into VR which again may be a fad like the kinect or a revolution changing the way we game forever.

18. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I don't think they can charge much more than the PS Pro. Ideally they'd match price if they can afford it. They're behind on sales, and aren't going to catch up with having the more expensive device for a second time. My guess would be something like $50 more in the USA and $100 more here. I'd almost certainly grab one at launch for <$650.

If it wasn't for scorpio I'd have bought a one s, i really want the 4K bluray playing abilities and really don't want to buy a standalone player.

19. power

power Member

20. stitch512

stitch512 Member