1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Xbox Project Scorpio Discussion (TBC 2017)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 8, 2016.

1. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Yeah it was delivery but as I was at work it got sent to the local distribution centre which for me is away from public transport and as I’m working and can’t drive it’s a real disappointment to say the least.

2. trippyfoo

trippyfoo Member

Disappointment is a word.. I would use a different word.. lol.
    Couldn't get it delivered to work ..?
    Well family chores all done.
    Pretty easy setup as mentioned earlier.. already did all the 4k updates before.. just a 800mb console update .. and ready to go.

3. stitch512

stitch512 Member

It was a bug. Patch out today to fix.

4. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Must say. Found my console to be a little underwhelming so far.
    Stuck at 1080P because there is no 1440P support.
    Console isn't picking up available game updates until I actually launch the game.
    And I think I prefer my launch Xbox One controller as the texturing on the underside feels better in my opinion. Haha

Other than that. It's still an Xbox One, with the same Pro's and Con's... Like no exclusives.

5. Dynamite Dave

Dynamite Dave Member

Picked up Gears of War 4 for $40, damn it looks good after the 67gb update
    Forza Horizon 3 4k update wont be out til Jan 15 :(

6. mils1

mils1 Member

Traded in my one s for one x, 4k games look just as good as a kick ass pc but I think they should have launched it with new titles to show it off better. The console has so much potential, enhancing old titles is ok if you never played them but again they should of had a selection of launch titles.

7. bcann

bcann Member

found the network transfer method a major PITA, ended up being easier to just dump games to hdd and then plug into xbox one x and redump back.

8. mils1

mils1 Member

Either way it sucks, took ages transferring to HDD.

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

How much did this end up costing you?

10. mils1

mils1 Member

Xbox One S (500gb) with controller & HDMI, bought 3 of cheapest games for $16 & paid $399 for trade in ($415 changeover). You have to trade atleast 3 games otherwise it works out to be $489 for just the console.

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

Doesn't really seem to be worth it...

12. mils1

mils1 Member

I got back what I originally paid for the xbox one s, so it was worth it for me.

13. The Beast

The Beast Member

How long til this thing is on deep discount? I’d probably bite for $400-450.

Do you guys reckon it’ll underperform sales wise and get a cut, or stay niche and expensive for a long while?

14. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Have to say. The console has been a big let down for me since I got it on launch.

* No 1440P output, so I am stuck using 1080P on my 32" monitor. Yuck.
    * System won't check games for updates... It will only alert me to an update after I put the disk in and launch the game.
    * No real exclusives that showcase what the console can do.
    * No Kinect port, forcing the use of an expensive adapter. (I like telling things what to do okay? More convenient to launch an app like Netflix than navigating the UI with the controller.)
    * Controller feels different over my launch console. - Not sure I like the textured underside, do like the Bluetooth though.
    * Noisier than my launch Xbox One console, especially during gaming. - The launch console was inaudible, my external HDD's made more noise.

Did sell my launch Xbox One+Kinect for $100 (Mates rates.) which brought the entry price down to $550. For that price it is worth it as I have a stupidly large Xbox and Xbox 360 game collection... And those games will look best on the Xbox One X. - Well. Provided they are Backwards compat, some games never will like Naruto: Rise of a Ninja and the Broken Bond due to Ubi loosing the license to Naruto, thus I need to keep my 360 and original Xbox around.

The biggest issue is just the lack of games. The Xbox has pretty much only had Cuphead and Halo Wars 2 this year... And both of those were on the PC anyway.

15. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

Sorry to hear that, mate. It always sucks when such anticipation + hard earned dollars leads to disappointment.

For me, however, I am very happy with the X.
    The 4k performance is just beautiful, and the extra detail (for the games that support it, as you say, not a huge amount currently) really shines on my 75" tv.

The increase in frame rates while also increasing details is awesome and very much appreciated, all my games definitely feel smoother during intense graphics/battles.

I do think I might prefer the texture of the S controller but the difference isn't huge and I'll be putting on SquidGrips anyway.

Noise is not an issue, yet, as I am all digital with games.
    But I haven't watched a UHD disc yet, so I will find out then if it's problematic for me.

Hope 1440p support is added and your other issues ironed out. :thumbup:

16. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Noise is there whether it's disc or digital. (Got a mix of both.)
    The fan ramps up during gaming, it's not super loud or annoying, just noticeable, where my launch Xbox One was silent to the point I wouldn't know it was running if it wasn't for the front light...
    Keen to see how she goes during the midst of summer with ambient temp of 40'C or more.
    My PC is another league entirely, it sounds like a jet turbine during gaming, the old 3930K and RX 580 does put out some heat though. :p

I think I just need to get used to the controller. - Although I might give it away and pick up 4 new colour matching controllers anyway.
    I did spend years with my launch console controller... And there was an adjustment period moving from years spent with the 360 controllers as well.

Hopefully Microsoft rolls out the updates sooner rather than later that fixes the update and resolution issues, then I might find it less underwhelming and might feel more inclined to replay some old classics. (Fable and Halo series.)

devolutionary likes this.
  17. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

Ahhhhh, I see, I think my default ambient noise level in the house is too noisy for the fan to be an issue.
    I honestly haven't noticed any difference from the S.
    Like you say, it's nothing compared to some of the fans I've lived with in my PC days.

I am playing Fortnite, Titanfall 2, & Overwatch quite a bit at the moment in order of freq.

GoW4, Woflenstein 2 are on deck when I get bored with the above.

Yeah, I'm a shooter whore.

I do want to pick up Logitech G920 & Forza 7 when I can save up a bit of cash again.
    That seems like it could be really awesome experience.

18. [AOB]TommO

[AOB]TommO Member

Forza 7 is great, very beautiful on a 60" 4k Samsung - and fun to play. Menu interface sucks but can deal with it.

I've picked up Destiny 2 (haven't played it yet) and also Assassins Creed - AC is pretty good, enjoyable to play but the control interface takes a decent amount of time investment to adjust to - as always.

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well 1440P is coming. Already been noted by MS. TBH I thought it was already in.
    Plenty of amazing games to play. Who gives a shit about exclusives. The games look phenominal. AC Origins, Battlefront 2, ROTR, Ark, NBA18, Titanfall 2. It does exactly what was advertised. Did you think there was some magic games you'd never heard of coming around because it was very clear what the game landscape was.
    PC Gaming isn't the same. Even when you plug it in to your TV.

I used to be PC only but slowly making the switch and I love my new One X. Been a revelation on the OLED.

Dynamite Dave likes this.
  20. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

But when is it coming? Next week? This year? Next year?
    Would have been better if Microsoft was more upfront to start with.

And of course PC gaming isn't the same, never claimed it was. - And no, I don't wish to plug my PC it into my TV. I have a good 32" 1440P monitor, which is what I wish to connect my Xbox to as well.

I agree, there are plenty of amazing games to play. - But I have them all on PC. So... Who gives a shit about exclusives? I do.
    Fact of the matter is... It was games like Halo and Fable that made me take interest in the Xbox 15~ years ago. It was exclusives like Halo 2, 3, Fable 2, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja and The Broken Bond, Kameo, Blue Dragon and so on that kept me locked in.
    Exclusives *are* important, perhaps not to you as an individual... But to millions of others... And that's okay.

It's almost the complete reversal of Nintendo's issue... Who tends not to get enough 3rd party's.