Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 (RTM) Released, So What Do People Think?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 20, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Care to expand on that rating?

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just playing with it now.....so far it seems ok....except don't really see the point in the mouseover for the url, also wondering if favicons will now work permanently.

Seems quick though.

3. TX3

TX3 Member

I have been using IE8 RC1 at work for 2 months. Is it any different?

Also using IE7 at home because I get a frikkin message when opening firefox that tells me it is already open and I need to close it :thumbdn:

4. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Not sure, haven't found a list of differences. But its sure to be a bit more polished as its the final product.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I doubt it's going to be very much different. And not that I can really tell anyways.

6. mareke

mareke Member

Upgrading to IE8 was a waste of time for me. I found that IE8 doesn’t handle custom DPI settings (mine is set to 185%) very well and makes all of the text, icons etc at the Overclockers site much smaller than normal regardless of the text size setting unless I use the 150% zoom function while at the Overclockers site. Doing this however makes web pages at other sites far too large so I’d have to be continually adjusting the zoom for different sites. I’ve gone back to IE7 because it doesn’t have this problem.

7. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Seems to be more responsive on most sites i visit, overall happy with the upgrade.

8. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

I gave chrome a 5/10, yet chrome blows ie8 out of the water, 1 out of 10 is a step up from -5/10.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/overview.aspx?tabid=1&catid=1

Accelerators: "Accelerators let you map directions, translate words, email your friends, and more in just a few mouse clicks." - to bad I've never wanted to do any of those.

InPrivate Browsing: Every other browser had this feature before ie8.

Web Slices: has potential

Search suggestions:

"Search smarter with detailed suggestions from your favorite search providers and browsing history. "

sounds good in theory...

[​IMG]

It's basically Awesomebar/Opera URL bar + Search in 1.. as you can see I'm not jumping at this amazing leap in browser amazingsauce since if I can't find what I'm looking for in my browser history I can just press enter and get a proper google search, not some 50/50 combination.

SmartScreen Filter:

"If the SmartScreen Filter is active and you attempt to visit a website that isn't considered safe, the below screen will appear prompting you to take alternative actions."

"Firefox 3 protects you from viruses, worms, trojan horses and spyware. If you accidentally access an attack site, you’ll receive a full-sized browser message as a warning."

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/features/#security

And at the end of the day it's still gonna be IE, ie more insecure than some other browsers combined(chrome + opera), it's still not anywhere near firefox in comparison to the number of addons, and it's still only going to be used by people who just have no clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#Vulnerabilities

I'm almost certain now that by internet explorer 12 it will have every feature of chrome + firefox + opera at the time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  9. TaroT

TaroT Member

loaded it
    ran it
    froze and crashed constantly on vist64
    hour later it was gone.
    ie7 still does what i want so i,ll leave a year or 3 till the fix the bugs

as for the others i liked chrome once i got used to it :) nice and quick and easy.
    hate firefox...justa preference thing, thta and rendering pages off just puts it in the not interested bin
    opera is good but also fails in a few spots.

as for browser security firefox will not save you from viruses and trojans on web pages same as ie won't...proved that a few times in virtual machines :)

anyway it is a :thumbdn: from me

10. stablez

stablez Member

Does Norton internet security work with the phising protection bar on visually:) In beta 2 it didnt
    ?

11. VZey

VZey Member

does anyone find new tabs take ages to open?

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nope, seem very quick for me....

13. kingborel

kingborel Member

I'm guessing it's to do with the way that certain sites have used font size settings in CSS (ie setting absolute values rather than %). You'll probably find that IE8 is actually complying more to standards than IE7 ;)

14. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Pretty quick but there is some delay with the "What do you want to do next?" sceen.

15. mareke

mareke Member

I've not seen this before with earlier versions of Internet Explorer. IE8 includes a zoom function that previous versions didn't have so it may have been added to deal with this issue. At the 185% DPI I use everything at the overclockers site looks tiny in IE8 unless you zoom to 150% but even then things look a little strange. I use the DPI of 185% to stop icons and text from looking too small on my LCD monitor at the native resolution of 1680 x 1050 and I'm not prepared to use the zoom function in IE8 when switching between different websites to adjust a website so it looks okay. The programmers that made IE8 would have been better off being 'loose' with standards if it meant the issue didn't come up.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  16. VZey

VZey Member

Thanks, yeah I'm guessing it's because it's loading up your recently closed tabs. It's quick to open a link in a new tab, just when you create a blank tab...

EDIT: just changed new tab to blank and it has speed up heaps.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  17. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Anyone use Ctrl+W to close tabs? When i have like 10+ tabs open it only lets me close two and then will refuse to close anymore until i lift my finger off the Ctrl key and start again.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nope, just the usual X marks the spot to close them.

19. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I used to do that, but when i need to sift through 20 tabs to see if something new has come up i tend to use Ctrl+W :D In IE7 i could close all of the tabs without lifting my finger off the Ctrl key and just hitting W. Now in IE8 it won't close more than two :(

20. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

is it just me.. or is SmartScreen.. just a flashy name for IE7's phishing filter?

rather unimpressed so far, glitchy scrolling (though faster page loads), stupid default settings... needing to reset all my fkn security settings again (as it resets to medium-high, with prompting for unsigned activeX turned off), stupid colour scheme on the tabs. amongst some other little things.

however, i do like the compatability mode thing. - now, if it just did CSS correctly.