1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid-range AVR for 5.1ch from single HDMI source - does it exist

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by pax, Sep 10, 2021.

1. pax

pax Member

Hi all,

I've been doing a little searching for a product to fix my requirements, and thought that those here might be able to fill in some missing knowledge gaps.

I'm getting a patio fitted and will end up with a projector (probably 100"-150" HD only) with a single streaming/throw device like NVidia Shield. I also want to have audio only playing when we are using it.

I have in the garage QAcoustics Q7000 5.1, and so want to use that to provide the sound, which means I don't want to skimp on the AVR to make the most of the sound. Yes, I've been recommended to run a wireless solution like Sonos, but then I need to run power everywhere I want the speakers, and need to worry about weather impacts on GPOs and the speakers.

Based on that I am struggling to find a suitable AVR as most HT AVRs are 3-5 HDMI in and too large for my space (so slimline is a bonus), and integrated amps I've seen don't have the HDMI in/out.

I've found some no name products which fit the input/output profile, but they are 12/20v (RH-699X, HD951BT or PFA540BT), so won't power the speakers properly. I thought I was onto an option with Pyle PT684BT, but it is probably too large and is 120V only.

Am I looking for a product where there is a gap in the market, or just putting in the wrong terms when searching, or even looking in the wrong direction?

Pax

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  2. OP
    OP
    pax

pax Member

I have found the Pioneer VSX-S520/D as possible options, but I can't find AU stock.

Another option seems to be the Marantz NR-1510.

For some reason searches for "compact 5.1 receiver" don't return units I would call compact, in so far as they seem about as wide as normal units and not as slim as slimline units.

Funnily a few blue-ray players have 5.1 analog output, but no HDMI pass through. Older models like the OPPO NDP-103/105 are going for stupid amounts.

3. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Older models like the OPPO NDP-103/105 are going for stupid amounts.

There was an Oppo 103 listed on AudiogoN last week for $290 us. US buyers only.
    Also the latest Oppo 205 listed on an English forum site for 6k sold the same day

They do come up on Aussie AUDIO MART, from time to time. You just have to be in the right place at the right time,

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  4. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

The nr1510 will be the lowest height and the Yamaha rxv385 will be shallowest depth.

I can sell you a truly compact 5.2 receiver from episode but you need a Control4 controller to make it work - $2500+ investment

for my outdoor system I just built a shelf with L brackets mounted up on the roof beams about 2.3m above the ground. Keeps it high and dry and out of the way whilst still in reach.

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

i'm happy with the NR1711 i got

6. OP
    OP
    pax

pax Member

Thanks both for your responses. For my issues I only had about 180mm width which is why I was looking at the micro amp models that I was.

What I decided to do was upgrade the existing amp (Pioneer VSX-321 from HTP-071 kit) with a Yamaha RX-V4A, and I made a shelf which I needed to insert in place, whilst holding the amp in the air. This allowed me to put the sub in place under it.

It isn't ideal, but made the most of the space I had, and there is less than 5mm between the sub and shelf and about 10mm above the amp before the bench.

Holdenkicks likes this.