Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by hosh0, Feb 28, 2014.

1. kreegor

kreegor Member

I find the controller really good for these types of games especially in combat. because the buttons you need are just there. I use crouch a lot for stealth and that is one of the shoulder buttons so it's easy to hold down and still move around etc. However, aiming the bow is a pain because of the thumb sticks which are just horrible for that kind of thing.

2. Tekin

Tekin Member

Yeah, the controller is brand new (have a cunning plan to have my wife join my gaming on the htpc). Think I'll stick with the mouse / keyboard then. I've remapped most of the KB buttons to what makes more sense.

That spawn rate is verging on absolutely ridiculous. You'll clear a ruin the size of a standard bloody living room, climb onto a nearby roof and all of a sudden there's 15 orcs wandering through it again!

3. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I like that.

I appreciate that the things can go from good to bad very very quickly, and you have to decide whether to stick it out or cut your losses and run.

Keep in mind that the runs can make a significant difference on how a fight goes down, especially the on that increases stun times and elf-shot/focus recharge.

Also, that infinite execution for 20 seconds ability is godlike when you are facing a huge amount of people.

Some quick tips for people
    1. Upgrade your health first.
    2. Upgrade your elfshot and focus quickly aswell. During the later game, i was able to take down an entire army of about 10-15 lower orcs in one focus charge without taking a hit.
    3. Send Death Threats to anyone you are planning on killing. Epic runs are significantly better than the others
    4. Stun often. Very often. Also get the "Reduce Charge from 8x - 5x" ability as soon as you can. You can execute someone half way through a flurry after a stun. Helps to dispatch letter orcs.

4. Spork!

Spork! Member

Quick question - using KB/M, the RMB is supposed to make Caragors bite downed orcs. But all it does for me is put me into ranged mode. Am I holding it down for too long? Anyone else having this issue?

5. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Member

You are holding it down too long. Bite only really works effectively on enemies that have been knocked down.

6. timme_v

timme_v Member

Yeah this annoyed me alot. Especially when versing warchiefs. It got to the point where I gave up on any sort of strategy because I couldn't clear a section for any one on one.

Admittedly it made it much more difficult, but it took the shine off the single fight progress. It just felt the same until it was done.

7. Spork!

Spork! Member

Cheers mate. Will try again.

8. Tekin

Tekin Member

I found it really depended on where you positioned the caragor. You basically had to be facing someone already stunned and on the ground, close to them, but not on top of them.

Then it's just a tap to the RMB. Can be really useful after you charge through a group, because most of the orcs will be stunned on the ground and you can sometimes get in two bites which also helps the caragor's health.

9. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

I have just started playing, put about 5 or 6 hours in so far. Is there any way to ensure that your melee execute actually decapitates bosses? I have performed an execution on every boss I have encountered but I have not been able to decapitate them so the bastards keep coming back.

10. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I think the executions are random in nature, so probably not.
    However ground executions tend to be only stabbing, but charged combo executions tend to be decapitations.

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

how do u get the unlim executions for 20 seconds? it said I unlocked it? also how do I issue death threats?

For me the things I dislike about game:

-Only on first map but environments all to samey
    -OTT spawning
    -climbing/movement isn't as fluid as AC, sometimes u get stuck
    -repetitive dialogue
    -to confined, be better if was more/larger quiet areas & stealth was harder in dangerous areas

Overall quite like it 8/10 for me, if they use this as a foundation to make a bigger slightly more open world sequel/prequel/spinoff perhaps with more friendly NPC's etc would be insane.

12. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

In the upgrade tree, its one of the 3 at the bottom. I think it costs 2500 points or so.

13. Spork!

Spork! Member

Death threats - grab an enemy (ctrl) and when you are far enough into the game it will give you an option to "dominate" them. Select this, and Death Threat is one of the options.
    Any urak can issue a death threat to the captains, but only a captain can relay one to the War Chiefs.

14. raGneG

raGneG Member

Environment is Mordor.. so..

Spawning can be annoying but I just remembered to go after the objective. I think that's the point. I mean, you're not taking down the whole army yourself are you? You're meant to be infiltrating/controlling/bringing it down from within. Progressing yourself through the ranks. You can't just go into the stronghold of an endless army and clear it.

Did find some annoying movement/climbing things. Like when you're 1 foot up a ramp and he wont jump off while you're in the middle of a fight etc.

I think early game difficulty is spot on but it doesn't stay that way. I think there could have been a ramp up in a fighting complexity against higher level enemies. I found the warlords way too easy and the end content. I didn't mind the last fights annoying that they were easy but the Uruk related stuff built up to an anticlimax. I'm sure they'll take all the feedback from the masses and turn it into some good new content.

Given the story I don't really think it could have entertained more friendly NPCs. I think maybe there could have been more interaction with the wraith. Unfortunately the context didn't really make for lots of friends. That'll make more sense as you progress. TBH the 16 hours it took me to finish off the main story with a bunch of stuffing around seemed pretty spot on. I wouldn't fluff around TOO much as it will remove the shine. Unfortunately walking around aimlessly and killing stuff doesn't hold up for too long.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  15. im late

im late Member

Love the game, hate the captains,, lol

Tech question here, anyone running 1440p at ultra settings and with the texture HD pack?

If so, what GPU(s) are you using for smooth gameplay?

16. Spork!

Spork! Member

"Finished" it.
    Didn't end up getting all the artifacts etc.
    Seems the side missions would never end.
    Final encounter too easy. (and I'm crap @ games - usually have to change difficulty to easy or get my son to do the last battle to finish them)
    Found the Graug hunting mission the hardest fight in the game.
    But - awesome game. Will probably go back and finish the "collect all this" for the Steam achievements, or play through again and experiment with the nemesis system. Maybe do the "trials of war" a bit.
    Hope there is some quality DLC, or a sequel.
    Killing orcs have never been so much fun.:D

17. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I found this is the first game in a long time that i have wanted to go back and play some more, just to dick around and find collectables.

The fact that the collectables in particular are SHOWN ON THE MAP makes a huge difference.
    I couldnt imagine having to find them without the map to help.

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  19. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

I'm two missions off the ending but it doesn't feel like it has built up to anything?

20. Razor-47

Razor-47 Member

If you're hoping for some epic boss battle you're gonna be disappointed. I know I was.