1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

MIDI controller for LR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by humanrace, Feb 9, 2016.

1. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

I love that you are processing photos using a midifighter haha a couple of my mates have one of these each and we've used them for making tracks in Abelton and other stuff. Really love this idea :thumbup:

2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Nice one, thanks for the post and video.

I've been looking at doing this for ages, I can't stand long editing sessions and how clunky the human-user interface for lightroom is (it's part of the reason I have such a big backlog). I've known about the midifighter for ages, looks mint for this application.

Also, FYI, they're currently on a bit of sale, $199USD, and there are a few B-Stock for $180USD.

Interesting :weirdo:

3. lesliecool

lesliecool Member

thanks for sharing munkiboi... due to your video showing how easy it was to setup i went and bought my own midi fighter too... have it working now (only setup about 8 knobs so far) and it's great!

4. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Bit of a bump to this, been playing around with using my iPad as a midi controller, just for fun. It seems to work pretty well and is pretty responsive, the last time I tried a few years ago it was laggy as hell, but now seems to be pretty good. Much faster than using a mouse, imo.

For those who want to try, my setup is iPad Air -> TouchOSC -> TouchOSC Bridge -> MIDI2LR -> Lightroom CC. Bit of a round about way of doing it, and TouchOSC works over wifi rather than USB, annoyingly, but eh, it works.

Here is a screenshot of my interface, work in progress:

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

thats cool

I still haven't bought any MIDI controllers.

Those who are doing it - how are you finding it so far? Was it just a fad or has it changed the way you do things now?

6. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

So far still loving it. I found lightroom to be quite laggy scrolling up and down through the develop tools to find the one I wanted, and the don't all fit on screen at the same time. I'm lazy so that meant I wouldn't tweak everything on every image. Now I can process the best images from a shoot very quickly and to a point I wouldn't have bothered with before.

7. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Thanks for all the testing and video reviews. I purchased the midi fighter twister not long after your video went up but haven't had a chance to play around with it. My intention was to maybe pair it up with my surface pro 3 as a portable editing solution. Time will tell. I'm not much of a Lightroom editing/processing person as I prefer to work in Photoshop once I've settled on white balance and exposure. Because of this tendency, I have not processed as many photos as I would have liked and the backlog of photos means the chances of me working on them grows slimmer by the day. Hopefully the new toy will give me that kick I need to get the ball rolling.

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

I have been using a Korg Nanokontrol for a year or so now, has made things hugely easier, and much more enjoyable. Still a few niggles out there though, as with anything.

Plus the disadvantage with the Nanokontrol is that it uses simple sliders rather than rotary encoders.

Somewhat interested in switching to the Midi Fighter, but not sure i would get much more use out of it.

9. lesliecool

lesliecool Member

it has improved my workflow with wedding editing... i am doing tweaks using muscle memory while rarely touching the keyboard or mouse (maybe for adjustment/healing brushes)... after applying a base preset i find i only really need to do minor tweaks to exposure/highlights for my genre of photography...

echoing what munkiboy has said, the midi controller is really well built... it's just that the software (midi2LR) is lacking and not really polished... e.g. it crashes every now and then and sometimes doesn't register the midi controller... but hey it's free... if there was a polished app i would definitely buy it...

10. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

interesting, has the app ever been so bad its unusable? That would do my head in.

11. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

YMMV - i updated to the v1.0 of the MIDI2LR plugin and haven't had any crashes, and even before the only crashes I got were on exiting lightroom.

12. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Thread dig - just ordered a Twister Fighter on the weekend. I've been finding I tend to more editing on my laptop as I hate sitting at my work-desktop/desk 'after hours'. This should make the laptop a little more ergonomic. (XPS15 with 'retina' style screen).

Can't wait to get stuck into it!

13. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

14. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

would love to hear how you find it. I still haven't bought it to try

15. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

About to get back into this and give it another shot - had Paddy running with a BCF2000 with pretty good success. Will report back :)

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ive been using a Korg nanoKontrol 2 for a little while now, works pretty well. Keep considering the Twister though.

17. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

These look interesting, but not released till mid next year.

I've sorta just finished setting it up. At least for the basics. A copy and paste of my notes below (the numbers run left to right, then top to bottom - like you'd read a book):

BANK 1 Encoders

1. Increase Rating
    2. Nil
    3. Zoom Out
    4. Zoom In
    5. 3 Star
    6. Nil
    7. Nil
    8. Nil
    9. Decrease Ratng
    10. Nil
    11. Nil
    12. Previous Photo
    13. Rejected
    14. Nil
    15. Nil
    16. Next Photo

These are all just using the encoders' button function. I.e. I depress the knob to do these actions.

BANK 2 Encoders

1. Exposure
    2. Contrast
    3. Temp
    4. Tint
    5. Highlights
    6. Shadows
    7. Whites
    8. Blacks
    9. Clarity
    10. Vibrance
    11. Saturation
    12. PREVIOUS PHOTO
    13. Sharpening
    14. Noise Reduction
    15. Vignetting
    16. NEXT PHOTO

Note, the encoders are used to increase decrease these inputs. Pressing the knob will reset the value to default.

Note 2, the first two pairs exp/contrast & temp/tint are reversed in order to Lightroom's order - as I tend to adjust exposure far more often, and temp/tint far less often)

Buttons
    L1 Pick R1 Cycle Bank
    L2 Unpick R2 Redo
    L3 Before/After R3 Undo

(note, still haven't really worked out when to use the side buttons. They're quite stiff to push and you ALMOST need to hold the controller itself to save it sliding on the desk).

Definitely haven't used it enough to say it's improving my speed BUT I can tell its nicer to tweak the encoders than push a mouse around the screen (especially after a day of work).

I forsee using the twister on left hand, mouse on the right (for controlling zooming and cropping).

18. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

[​IMG]
    Bank 1 - Library Mode

[​IMG]
    Bank 2 - Develop Mode

The LEDs are a lot nicer looking IRL. Photos taken with phone for convenience.

19. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Looks awesome Andres.

I've been plodding along with MIDI2LR and TouchOSC on my iPad Air. Works pretty well. Took a few days to get my template just right, but yea, was a good option because I didn't particularly want to buy a new piece of hardware like the midifighter.

One of my mates has a palettegear and he doesn't like/use it, says there is just too much lag in responding. That loupedeck looks neat though.

20. lesliecool

lesliecool Member

sorry for the late reply... a few months on and with subsequent updates no more crashes! yay! it's working very smoothly... that loupedeck looks awesome though as it offers more controls/sliders... i use it everyday for wediting (wedding editing)...