1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

MikroTik CRS226-24G-2S+IN Review – You want one

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by davros123, Feb 18, 2015.

1. davros123

davros123 Member

Looks really good :)
    http://www.servethehome.com/Workstation-detail/mikrotik-crs226-24g-2s-in-review-you-want-one/

Fanless too...Pitty about no link agg...but I do like the two 10Gbe ports!

2. aza2001

aza2001 Member

for the price I am considering buying one of these too...

issue is the SFP+ ports... I have two 10G RJ45 NICs unless I can find some reasonably priced adapters that don't drop the speed down to 1Gbit I would be buying one of these tomorrow haha

3. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Looks good for the price! Would make a decent edge switch actually. :thumbup:

4. malbert

malbert Member

Interesting, how was that conclusion reached?

5. FiShy

FiShy Member

Looks good but i would get a Ubiquiti Edgeswitch if i replaced my 2960G as i think the vydetta fork is better then routeros.

6. malbert

malbert Member

I was fairly keen on them too but the datasheet shows a lack of dynamic routing and multicast which turned me off - I don't want to change my network to suit its limitations.

Edit: I'm talking PIM not IGMP

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. aza2001

aza2001 Member

any aus resellers?

8. FiShy

FiShy Member

I did not know it lacks PIM..... thats pretty shit.

9. driver

driver Member

I have lower spec CRS125-24G for my home network and it's a good little unit but the VLAN switching configuration is super complex compared to normal managed switches. (If you knew the engineering of the switch chip then it'd probably be crystal clear as there's so many configuration options!! )

It'll do BGP and VPN - just not at wirespeed! it's more router than switch. Excellent for a small branch office.

Duxtel.com.au

10. Primüs

Primüs Member

I'd say its still more switch than router - as switching is wirespeed, where as routing is severely limited by the CPU (not made to do a lot of routing). If you have 10+ Firewall rules + NAT + any form of dynamic routing you'd probably be lucky to push 30-40mbps through most the CRS range.

They certainly are good for branch office though where you might only have 2/2 up to 10/10 SHDSL or simple ADSL2+ connections - have to bridge a modem through though but thats not hard.

11. malbert

malbert Member

BGP is a control plane protocol which, depending upon the size of the table, uses very little CPU to build the route table independently of the data plane. Forwarding speed should not be confused with a control plane operations; BGP has been running successfully for many years on slower CPUs.

Besides which, my point still stands - in the absence of testing results or any reference to Mikrotik benchmarks (found the bottom of this page) the author of the review has failed to provide any evidence that his statement is justified. How do we know that the routing or crypto operations aren't hardware accelerated? He has simply drawn a partially erroneous correlation between his perception of a low CPU clockrate and performance, and then muddied the waters with a poor understanding of control plane protocols.

I agree that on paper it seems to be a poor decision to market this as a L3 switch - L3 switches typically include L3 forwarding figures in Mpps, not Kpps. There are quite a few threads that I found with a casual google (here and here) describing poor L3 throughput. But having said that, I'm confident that there are many sites connected with speeds of 2-20 Mbps that may not require NAT/firewall filters where this could be deployed successfully.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  12. driver

driver Member

Technicalities aside - I should've really clarified that the unit feels more like a router than a switch in terms of configuration. The CRS series VLAN Switch configuration is so convoluted IMO compared to other switch vendors.

I was told by a Mikrotik trainer last week that the Layer3 switching functionally/firmware is incomplete at this stage too. Hopefully it will come good with time as Mikrotik have regular updates.

13. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I was interested in one of these little things when I saw one in the flesh, but didn't look much into it. But no link aggregation. Are you fucking serious?

I don't care how cheap this thing is or what it does, that's a deal breaker right there if I'm going to be spending a single cent more on a switch than what I could have an equivalent capacity dumb switch for.

</rant>

14. Jazper

Jazper Member

Necro .. But..
    Just FYI, it does have static link aggregation, just not dynamic link aggregation (yet). After some research, the review is wrong.