Minecraft: Java vs Windows Edition

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Madengineer, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hey guys!

So me and a mate want to play Minecraft. I have Minecraft for Windows 10, my mate has Java edition. Neither work together. Both can be bought for about $35.

Question is, which is better?

Thoughts?

2. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Bought my copy through Mojo direct, I'd rather 100% of the money go to them. You should do your own research to work out which you think is "better" for your circumstances.

3. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

If your mate bought his java version before October 19th 2018 he should also have access to the windows 10 version.

https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2064007-minecraft-for-windows-10
    "Players who have purchased Minecraft: Java Edition before October 19th, 2018 can get Minecraft for Windows 10 for free by visiting their Mojang account. Log into account.mojang.com, and under the “My Games” heading you will find a button to claim your gift code."

The windows 10 version performs a lot better, but the java version has vastly more content if you get into mods and doesn't shove micro transaction stuff in your face. For longevity and expandability through mods I'd recommend the java version. If you only want vanilla minecraft then the Win10 version is fine.

You do know mojang has been owned by Microsoft for 5 years now, right pwlm1975? What an utterly useless reply.

Madengineer likes this.
  4. r8response

r8response Member

Clearly he didn't do his "own research"

Madengineer likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Cheers for that! We did eventually find that. Haha. So he grabbed that. We’re still thinking about going java as well though because of the mods. There’s a lot of things we want to do but can’t inthe windows version.

6. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I have both Java and Microsoft Store versions, after owning Java one and redeeming free beta for the MS one.
    I hazard a guess that Java will be phased out eventually due to need to move away from Java Runtime, but the problem is MS doesn't seem to have much flexibility on 3rd party mods (free ones at that).

7. riccoo

riccoo Member

java 100% is better mods plugins and so on

8. ex4n

ex4n Member

java edition, no question.