Minecraft

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Broden, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Imitation

Imitation Member

2. Neuralstasis

Neuralstasis Member

ok that was successful.
    Had a few of us tooling around. Server crashed if you ran over the unloaded chunk bits too fast, which was annoying.

Might run it again tomorrow night.

3. Neuralstasis

Neuralstasis Member

Server Up Again!

I have put up the server again with more RAM allocated to it, so maybe the crashes will stop. That said, if you approach a region where the chunks are not loading, STAY AWAY. Disconnect and reconnect and that may bring them back.

Current IP to join (still) is:
    118.208.176.169:25565

Have fun.

4. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Let us know if you want to run it again, maybe with teamspeak?

Im keen to play on a ocau server if we can get one up and running again, if someone sets one up with multicraft/buycraft (?) that allows donations to keep it running 24/7 i dont mind throwing in a few bucks a month

5. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

Would love another ocau server. I don't know how much is involved. How much would be the upkeep on a smallish server?

6. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Not sure, if we whitelisted then we might be able to forgoe some anti griefing stuff. Having PvP areas and safe zones is beyond me. I was playing on empire Minecraft but I found the commerce killed the good old gameplay, making it easier to buy the harder to find things instead of earning them.

I'd love to have a server going with people that do quality work like hermitcraft.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  7. damo13579

damo13579 Member

i had a server up for a few months to stuff round with a few months.
    was costing $20 a month for a server with 1GB of ram through stipe.com.au. we had a few cheaper ones from other server hosts but had a few issues with lag even with a decent amount of ram.
    at most i think we had 8 people on it at the same time, was running FTB, never had lag and no outages at all.

8. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Would it be worth checking out Realms for a dedicated OCAU server?

Performance would seem to be assured, but I haven't bothered looking at Mojang's terms and pricing because local servers have always done what I needed them to for the couple of mates I was hosting.
    (Before I moved to the back of nowhere in broadband terms).

I'd be happy to throw in for a realms server to hang with OCAU folks in agreed gamemode and not have to worry about dickheads griefing my shit.

I'd host a server from home cos I'm on unlimited and could easily build a dedicated box, but I'm in woop woop so reliability and bandwidth is terrible (~2.5M down, ~1M up, as long as it's not raining :Paranoid:).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  9. AMLagonda

AMLagonda Member

I dont see the point, there are tons of servers already running with admin control so your stuff is safe.

mcau.org is a big one, seems to have a lot of 10 year olds on it :Paranoid: (they all do) probably why i stay away from it, cant be bothered.

I enjoy looking at the Whopper map as its got years of my insanity on it...

10. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

Your name looks familiar, I think I might have been your neighbour

Does that look familiar?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Either that or you were one of the mods/admins.

11. sjp770

sjp770 Member

I recently tried picklehosting and gameservers.com and pickle was OK but dearer, gameservers.com had lag even on their Sydney server.

I'm all for a vanilla server maybe with a death counter and things that dont change any gameplay.

I've always been interested in finding out what FTB is but never looked. Any way to sum it up in three words?

I'm going to setup a server somewhere and look at a buycraft solution or something to support it. I just tried Stipe but they dont use the default port which is not great.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  12. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Server is up. 1.8.1 vanilla with deathcounter.

I have set whitelist to on and added
    sjp770, neuralstasis, BlueRaven, damo13579 and kronikabis

Let me know if you want to be added and what you guys think about where to host this / how to contribute to keep it running

Unofficial OCAU Vanilla Survival Server 1.8
    OCAU.SLIPPERY.NINJA
    Seed: -3992052730752426565​

This server is running CraftBukkit version git-Spigot-8a983f9-e81edfc (MC: 1.8) (Implementing API version 1.8-R0.1-S
    NAPSHOT)

If you want to keep the server going PM me for a donation code. I'll keep it going as long as I can and provide a free dload of the world if I ever shut it down. Im not sure how the donations work, if you can sub and pay a small amount each month that would be awesome. Total cost atm is $19.95 p/m for 1gb. As donations get bigger i'll up the ram.

So far 1x simple rule - you need to be on OCAU and post here to get access. 1x username per forum account.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  13. BAAZMAN

BAAZMAN Member

Add me please to the whitelist

14. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Will do. I need to find a way to remote admin too.

Let me know how close you guys spawn to the welcome wagon.

15. BAAZMAN

BAAZMAN Member

based on the old server some mods are needed.

i reckon /home (/sethome) where you can set a home and tp to it easily is essential

As well as a /spawn to go to a main spawn point and the ability to /tp <player>, so people can easily check out other peoples creations. people were able to turn on and off.

also,
    hunger was off.
    mobs on, but creeper explosions off.

other things but not needed, esp in the sort term
    - a secret "/vault" warp point for storing valuables.
    - warps to major attractions and community projects.
    - multiworld with a mining world, nether world and more. maybe to the old map...?

there was probably heaps more but it was a while ago. maybe others could add to the list.

16. sjp770

sjp770 Member

The tp based ones sound OK, I'd rather not do it but it makes sense with more players and things to see. Hunger should be on, same as creepers. This is meant to be survival not a school dance :p btw difficulty is set to normal not easy

Ender chests are good for storing valuables and beyond that a sign to lock a chest would be good. /vault seems too portable to me. You shouldn't be carrying two double chest around all the time.

I think i'll look at the tp commands now, then when we have 5 players on we will start voting on changes to vanilla.

I have made spawn protection 5 now down from 16, hopefully those chests can now be opened.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  17. AMLagonda

AMLagonda Member

BAAZMAN did you check out the your old home when Neuralstasis server was up? :p

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  18. sjp770

sjp770 Member

The server will be up and down today as I get the basic tools installed to get the above working. Sorry about this anyone wanting to jump on but it wont be for all that long.

19. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Whitelist me plz.

CAPT_Irrelevant

Do I need to run 1.8.1, or will 1.8.3 work?

20. sjp770

sjp770 Member

ok, /spawn, /sethome and /home are working.

Let me know if you find any cheats / bugs that normal players should have access to. I took myself off OP and could open the chest at spawn now.. but that could be because I placed it.