Mineral Oil

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by coderx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. coderx

coderx Member

I'm in brisbane and have been looking for suppliers of mineral oil, I plan on sinking a few graphics cards in it with a high flow pump and intercooler rad.;

Only problem is it seems nearly impossible to get in any quantity, I can source it online but the shipping costs are huge because it's heavy *I need a minimum of 20L.

I even tried talking to woolworths about getting me a bulk order of unscented baby oil, but they won't sell in bulk and won't give any discount so it would be about $3 per bottle (500ml) so again very expensive.

Does anyone know of any places where mineral oil could be sourced for a reasonable price ?

(might really need closer to 60L so cheaper the better).

2. power

power Member

excuse my ignorance here but is Automotive Mineral Oil not an option?

3. newlife

newlife Member

could use cooking oil

4. Mallee

Mallee Member

5. OP
    OP
    coderx

coderx Member

I'm not %100 sure, I'm still researching but automotive oil is not suitable that I know if (I could be wrong), I'll look into it.

Thanks for the links will check them out, I've gotten to the stage where I have all the parts, just need the oil now.

I did look into the whole cooking oil thing, but apparently it starts to smell and go bad pretty quickly because it's organic.

I'd rather not have to change it often, I guess I could use an oil filter or something but that's starting to make the project a lot more complicated.

Edit: found some places that sell transformer oil, but wow .... $1560 is minimum purchase so far, that's for 200Kg of it, I haven't worked it out but I think it's heavier than water so more than 1kg per L. At this stage buying $200 worth of baby oil from woollies seems to be the better option.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  6. havabeer

havabeer Member

have you tried contacting and of the oil companies directly? shell,mobil etc??

they have shit loads of different types available especially in their industrial type sections

7. OP
    OP
    coderx

coderx Member

Yep spoke to sales reps from caltex and shell, and both have minimum buy amounts (44 gal drum), all over $1000 and they won't decanter it to smaller amounts.

Electrician friend has got a contact getting back to him tomorrow morning about the transformer oil, but I have a feeling it will also be very expensive.

Thinking about paraffin oil which I can get cheaply, about $35 for 20L, but not sure if it's the right thing to use, still reading and googling trying to work it out.

I hope the paraffin oil IS the same, because that will really make my week, managed to find a great GPU for a good price, so everything is ready to go except for the oil part.

8. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

White spirits?
    Too volatile?

also why not just watercool? im curious.

9. OP
    OP
    coderx

coderx Member

I will be sinking (eventually) 10 computers in a chain, all with up to 6 GPUs on them in a high flow system.
    I got the idea from a waterfall cooling system on Cray II. (but they had money for fluorinert which I can't afford)

To watercool each card individually will cost more than buying the oil / pump / rads.

I plan on giving them a fairly heavy overclock so cooling is a must.

(it's all theory at the moment, but I want to try with at least this one system (4 x GPUs) at first to see how it goes. )

The plan is to have 3 inlets pushing high flow from the top end across the bare cards (heatsinks removed) and a collector bin at the end of the chain that runs to a radiator for cooling.

(and also to be honest it's just something I think would be very cool to do) :)

10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

11. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I'm not sure removing the heatsinks is the right way to go.
    I think you can remove the fans and everything but surface area is very important with mineral oil systems from what I've seen.
    That said, you've probably done more research than I have. :Paranoid:

12. havabeer

havabeer Member

i work at a power station, have transformer oil coming out the wazoo, but "borrowing" 20L is a bit difficult

13. HeXa

HeXa Member

box of condoms and Kinder Surprise them :thumbup:

assuming this is a closed system to avoid oxidation and water absorption (sludge is bad)

14. OP
    OP
    coderx

coderx Member

The system will be sealed, otherwise dust can foul the oil and I don't want to run filters / have to change it out.

The reason behind removing the heatsinks is to increase the flow of oil over the actual chip, when it's setup it should be basically blasting them with oil flow. I am aiming for a very strong current through the whole system. (using pond pumps to push it) I think it will be fairly ugly looking but hopefully it will achieve what I'm looking for.

For a system without strong pumps and high flow the heatsinks would have to stay, after removing the thermal compound.

I am open to suggestions though and any knowledge that anyone has also. I have not done this before so it's all theory at the moment, I have read a fair bit about it and looked at other system that use mineral oil.

Just waiting for diggers to get back to me (know someone who works there).

15. power

power Member

Maybe you could approach a mechanical workshop for that kind of quantity they get it in the big drums?

I don't like the sound of removing the heatsinks, I think that's a bad move.

16. HeXa

HeXa Member

the pond pumps don't have any troubles with a more viscous fluid?

17. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

Would there be any issues with such high flow of it pushing the cards too hard and perhaps breaking them from the pci-e connectors?

18. OP
    OP
    coderx

coderx Member

The pond pumps should handle it, (should), I need the oil to test them, the cards will be secured in place using powered risers with the motherboard also screwed to the base. Hopefully they won't move.

I do have a lot more reading to do, especially in regard to removal of the heatsinks, I don't know for sure that it's a good idea, and some of the comments here are making me think twice and look into it further.

There will be a lot of force pushing against the cards so they will need to be secured well, with the screws and zip ties holding them I hope they will stay but I might have a problem with the risers being pulled out of the PCIE slots.

I have a crappy system to test it all with first before dumping the good hardware in, going to sacrifice a GTS 250 and a dual core, running the OS off USB to eliminate the need for a hard drive.

I might have to glue the risers on or something, I don't expect any hardware used to be useful for anything else afterward.

19. GOD

GOD (Banned or Deleted)

we've seen it and done it few times on the forums..
    and the outcome has always been fail.
    the reason was somehow residues will build up on the connections and will need to reseat lot of the componants/cables/plug/regularly...
    and you also have to direct the flow somehow to the heatsinks.
    if there is no flow on the heat sinks then they start to heatup...
    using small 40X25MM server fans did the trick for that.

20. OP
    OP
    coderx

coderx Member

I was thinking of glue (silicon or super have to see what will not react with the oil) covering the connections and holding them in place, even on the risers.

I don't plan on having any heatsinks on the motherboard or the GPUs the idea being the high flow will be enough to move the heat away from the chips, I thought the heatsinks would encourage spots of still oil which would build up heatspots and possibly damage the chips.

The pump will be pushing from 2 or 3 inlet hoses aimed directly at the GPUs ..

I know it's been tried a few times, but don't we always think that for 'me' it will be different :)

(I am fully prepared for all the hardware I use to be damaged / no good, I'd like to avoid it but I am well aware it's a high possibility)