[PROJECT] Mini Co2 Jet?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jun 29, 2016.

1. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Does such a thing exist?

I'm thinking electronically triggered soda-stream cartridges installed in the arms of my Iron Man suit with a pipe leading out to the repulsor LED's in the palms of the gloves.

My LED's, when activated, wind up in brightness, reach a peak ridiculous lumen then wind back down. Sound too.

I'd like to tie in some sort of electronic trigger/solenoid? To fire the Co2 just as the central LED blasts full brightness, illuminating the white plume of Co2

My electronics guy, James is all over the electronics, we just need a few ideas/direction on what's commercially available out there. The closest I have seen is bicycle tyre inflators, but they are all activated manually with a wheel or push-pressure.

Anyone?

Baz.

2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Nitrous oxide systems use a solieniod,maybe watch fast & furiuos;)

3. thebranded

thebranded Member

4. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

As you are using your excellent suit to cheer up sick kids, I would be careful of using anything that projects particulates, even CO2. I'm not saying don't but I would ask a doctor before implementing such a thing.

5. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

That's pretty much common sense, but thank you for the reminder. I would not be going into a hospital with a loaded particle accelerator, just warning lights only... :D

6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

7. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

kindof along these lines, maybe look and nitrous oxide kits for pocket bikes. instead of CO2 maybe just compressed air and some method of atomizing water?

8. thebranded

thebranded Member

How do bb guns/airsoft guns trigger the gas release? maybe do the same but obviously without the bb.

9. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Worth some thought.

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Pretty sure it's not electronically. I think the timing of my LED at peak brightness is fairly critical for the look I'm going for, which is why I think it would have to be tied in to an electronic trigger in parallel with the LED's. I want mine to be less of a prolonged jet/thruster and more of a short weapon discharge.

11. pelmen

pelmen Member

How about emulating https://canlessair.com.au/, Uses an electric motor/turbine to jet out air at speed not compressed air so no dangerous propellants or anything under pressure. Would be a fun scare for the kids to feel the jet wash.

12. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

i thought one of these things could work, but does it give visuals and does it spool up/down?

13. pelmen

pelmen Member

Visuals? no, it blows air. bazza has light and sound sorted, so light/sound/ movement of air is pretty good and safe around the kids. Could chuck in some small plastic streamers to give some visuals maybe. I like your atomiser idea, like a perfume sprayer with water could use a motor with cam or actuator to press the pump and pulse particles out that way.

what about an expander foam canister "out the back" for when Iron Man gets nervous? ;)

3D print http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:667480 and add a 540 motor, sure Baz can handle adapting to suit the suit even if for fresh air in and bad air out.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  14. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Disposable e-cigs might be an option, depending on how much 'smoke' you need.

15. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Never heard of those before. Just did a search on them. I wouldn't imagine kids hospital administrators would be thrilled at the prospect of Iron Man injecting that stuff into the air around the kids.

16. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Isn't it just water vapour?

17. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

From the you tube videos I watched, they have chemicals in a solution-dipped wick that an electric coil heats then is inhaled.

Besides, I don't think one of those is going to give me the short, sharp burst that I'm after. Good idea though and opens up other ideas. Good thinking outside the box.

18. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I see. I don't know much about e-cig/vape but I thought the solution was just what flavour you want. So it's basically just water vapour otherwise. Still I agree that it wouldn't really have the burst effect. Unless you can get some higher airflow in there.

19. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Look into a dry-ice solution.

It's what they use in stage/theatre production to get the low-lying fog look.

Bonus points if you can source the ice from the organ transplant wing :cool:

Have a canister with a dose of water, drop in your ice, and open a valve. Could work.
    Beauty of this, is that you can tweak your formula to just the right amount of ice to water to get the appropriate dose you need without having it too pressurised.

20. Dreakoth

Dreakoth Member

I would look into paintball CO2 tanks, regulator, fittings.

And for a valve you can get pneumatic solenoid valves from NOS systems which would probably work alright, otherwise iv'e used pneumatic spool valves for running a pneumatic cylinder (gives you more of a dpst switch setup with air going to either output of a valve)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pneumatic+spool+valve&rlz=1C1CAFA_enCA672CA672&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOnta8g-XPAhVM_mMKHYQAB2cQ_AUICCgB&biw=1745&bih=928

This is the kind of setup i used in a combat robot, back in the day, but if you use CO2 and want fog and vapor you need to run it on the liquid CO2 not the gas, so when it hits atmosphere it expands and makes fog, that means -40c and 900-1000 PSI liquid CO2 unregulated.

https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C...KHYAFA1gQhyYIIQ&dpr=1.1#imgrc=Y69-5VYycZw75M:

If you use these you can get a big CO2 tank from B.O.C same as welding gas and just decant from the big bottle to your smaller CO2 bottles.

Its not as unsafe as it sounds if everything is rated