[PROJECT] mini hexacopter build and test flight

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ShadowBurger, Dec 29, 2016.

1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

UPDATE:

Re-designed the frame from the ground up:

[​IMG]

-----

I had good fun building my heavy-lift hexacopter, but I felt like the questionable rule of ‘more is better’ needed to be applied to the mini racing multirotors as well. Even if that isn't strictly-speaking true, it had to be a lot of fun. :weirdo: So I queued the music and put together this design:

The parts are:

Orange – top plate
    Blue – unibody bottom plate
    Green – back (upright) plate (ignore the green bit with three holes…)
    Yellow – angled camera plate

[​IMG]

I sent it off to get cut, once again using the fantastic service from Paul at BezerkRC (bezerk.com.au). I also asked if he could pocket the bottom bolt holes while machining, to which he thankfully obliged:

[​IMG]

For this project, I needed a solution to where I was going to put 6x ESCs. A 4in1 plus two stand-alones was one option, but when looking for motors I saw these popup for sale, for $9.90AUD each. A steal! They are MultiStar 2205-2350KV with built-in 30A ESCs. They’re about $40 each normally, I got all six for ~$60! They seem to have reasonably good build quality, although they got warmish during testing. Only a proper hard flight will tell if they are good kit. I also picked up some extra pairs of prop adapters which ShoddyKing thankfully sell separately, as the motors were all clock-wise.

[​IMG]

I started by fitting the basic hardware to the frame. Easy!

[​IMG]

The recessed bolt heads – this is why I got the pocketing done.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the battery is held against a smooth surface instead of damaging bolt heads.

[​IMG]

The motors fitted to the frame. Glad not to be messing around with ESC wiring!

[​IMG]

I’m using a PDB which just has two long pads, so it’s easy to fit all six pairs of wires onto it. It also has a built in low-battery/lost model buzzer and BEC. Nifty!

[​IMG]

Once again I’ve re-used a Naze32 Rev6 flight controller. They do the job fine and the features on the PDB mean I’m not missing out on anything (I prefer not to use an OSD).

[​IMG]

Assembled ready for its maiden flight. There’s no camera or VTX fitted at this stage, and the X8R on top is in a temporary location.

[​IMG]

After a bit of a wiring cleanup and the addition of the FPV camera:

[​IMG]

The test flight! Success!

I'll post back with an actual flight vid once the weather clears up and I've fitted the FPV gear.

Some info about the build:

Frame - custom!
    Motors - MultiStar 2205-2350kv with built-in 30A ESC
    Props - 4045 tri-blade
    PDB - multirotorshop.com.au
    Flight controller - naze32 rev6
    R/C receiver - FrSky X8R
    VTX - Foxeer Switcher
    Camera - Foxeer HS1177

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. tasmik

tasmik Member

Whats it cost to get a frame made? Thou I'm leaning towards tbs discovery for next build or a 680 alien

3. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

this cost me around the $100 mark. I wanted it to be tough, so I got it done out of 4mm carbon for the base which is pricey. if you're just building something for camera work (like the 2 frames you mentioned) you'd use thinner stuff, 2mm probably, which would give you room to play with a bigger frame. multiple identical items (like arms) reduces the overall cost also as they're easier to produce - my frame is a big uni-body so it wastes a lot of material :thumbdn: i basically paid for a huge square of 4mm carbon

4. tasmik

tasmik Member

Yup next planned build is going to be for camera / video stuff.

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I know some of the racing guys have gone to hex rather than quad because the smaller props give you more rapid response or something.. looks cool regardless. :)

6. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

If you ever get bored with making these extreme custom builds, any chance you want to try a low price build us noobs can try at home? Just looking for good bang-for-buck parts that can be ordered online, to give us a taste of flying.

Love your builds by the way :)

7. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

That's cute

8. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Cheers guys! :D

Thanks! I've done quite a few regular mini-quad builds but haven't really documented them as they're usually a dime a dozen on the interwebs. Since you've asked, I'll shoot some piccies during the build of the mini-quad I'm about to put together

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

The mini-hex got a re-design from the ground up. It's been on my to-do list for a long time and I've only just gotten around to doing it since it costs me about $100 every time I get a frame prototyped. With my R/C Toolbox (the Mule) project and the ongoing development of my heavy-lift hexacopter on the go, it's been hard find the budget for all these toys! :Paranoid:

I've been loving my new racing mini-quad so I based the new mini-hex design around it: The QuadRacer Kaiser. Big thanks to John from QuadRacer for sharing his designs with me. Basically the new design is just a bottom plate designed to accept the top half of the Kaiser, bringing the footprint for the stack way down and the ease of replacing parts way up; I already have a bunch of Kaiser frames on hand.

The frame is 20g lighter by comparison, everything fits together great, and it looks tops to boot. Will report back with some vids / pics once it's built! :weirdo:

[​IMG]