Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. Tazor

Tazor Member

Dude, I love that! No wasted space.
    Love your parts choice there, what's the official specs list for that?
    It looks like one of the Asus RX Nano white cards but hard to tell...

I've ordered a Phanteks Shift for myself (not an X, that's dumb) and have plans to put a custom loop in it, but I need to wait and see if it will take 2 EK 120mm SE rads, if it doesn't I'll just watercool my GPU cos I have a reference Vega 64 and my CPU doesn't put out a lot of heat so the little Cryorig C7 seems to do fine.

Currently running a Milo ML07 I picked up for $78 which is a steal and was surprisingly easy to work in.
    Pretty impressed with these new slim form factor ITX cases.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i7 5820K @ 4.3Ghz
    32GB GSkill 3200MHz
    R9 Nano
    1TB/500GB 850 Evo
    Silverstone 700W SFX-L

I've taken 200MHz off the CPU since the last install to keep the sound levels down (idle 700rpm, and stress max 155w @ 80C @ 1400RPM). The A14 iPPC is static at 750RPM. I might look at installing a second fan for the CPU radiator (say an 80mm@ 900RPM) to help with airflow.

Things that are happening this month:
    Replacing the PSU fan with an A12x15 as this is the loudest part of the PC, louder than the Nano coil whine and fan.
    Shucking a couple of 2.5" 5TB drives to install in the case for LAN storage (ordered from Amazon last week).

Near future:
    Getting the Gigabyte 1080 Mini or RX Vega Nano, whichever comes out first.
    5960X or 6950X if the price comes down.

The Shift will take two slim rads if your GPU is reference sized. If it's AIB/taller, then you will might need to buy a longer PCIE extension to allow more room for the second AIO spot.

I had an ML08 before this with a 140mm AIO.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I've been preparing my next ITX project for the past couple of months. Should be ready to start in a week or two :thumbup:

Click to view full size!

5. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

I'm looking to do a NAS build as small as possible.
    Looking for something that will hold 10 3.5"(at a guess could be as low as 5) Drives while still being a small form factor PC.

Any case recommendations?
    A quick google showed me this:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q26/

Which looks spot on - but just wondering about other options?

Also just about to start building a Ryzen system, thinking of using a Cougar QBD.

Space in my new place is at a premium if you hadn't guessed.

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Silverstone DS380 is a cheap alternative with slightly different storage options.

7. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

I'm glad i asked! 8 hot swap able and 2 fixed is what i was after!

8. Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen Member

I've got one of those cases, the interior probably isn't up to Silverstone's usual standards, the drive rack has a tendency to vibrate somewhat. The environment that my server sits in (the corridor outside my bedroom) is otherwise fairly quiet and with five drives in it I could hear it quite clearly after lights out while in bed which was a major nuisance, properly silencing it would have been a major effort if I would have been prepared to stuff around to that extent.

Certainly worth it if you aren't worried by the noise, getting everything "just right" so it resonates is the thing to watch out for.

9. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

Thanks for the tip, judging by the way it fits together there isn't much you could do in the way of stopping it resonating?

10. Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen Member

With my limited experience and equipment there doesn't seem like much I can do. After much effort trying to stop side panel vibration (which I may have mostly fixed) it seemed that the actual drive cage was a significant culprit for noise and it doesn't look like it would be easy to quieten without compromising the already limited airflow for the drives (I stuck a piece of cardboard between the fans and mobo extending across the gap to the drive cage which may have helped a bit with their cooling). The left side panel where the fans for drive cooling are mounted and where the mobo goes could probably do with some effort too

11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Please define how they rattle? I've built one and didn't have any rattles, but I did shove a baffle in to seal the fans onto the drive cage (just a strip of foam glued to the drive cage so that when the panel is on it seals up the gap between the intake fans and the motherboard area, but still lets you squish the fan cables through).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  12. Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen Member

I didn't say rattle, I said vibrate. It's more prone to amplifying the vibration inherent in mechanical drives than other cases and with that comes the tendency for it to occasionally resonate providing a loud persistant thrumming.
    Pushing on the right places on the outside can quieten it down a fair bit but I've never found a way to do the equivalent from the inside that works long term.

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

just shove some foam (insulation strip) between the panel and the cage to put pressure on it.

Dynamat will also lower resonance.

If you think that's bad, the Lian Li Q-26 will be even worse as aluminium is so light.

Could even try some foam tape inside the drive bay itself to tighten up the fit between the cage and tray.

14. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

My little beast build:

Album

Transplant from the old Bitfenix Prodigy:
    [​IMG]

Without the PSU:
    [​IMG]

With the PSU:
    [​IMG]

I then shoved the SSDs in the side with some tape rammed it all together. Quite tight, but it looks nice so long as you can't see in:
    [​IMG]

Silverstone SG05
    i5 7600k (OC to 4.4 GHz)
    AsRock Z270-itx/ac
    16 GB RAM
    AMD RX 480

Runs nice and cold (<50C under full load) and surprisingly quiet (although my PC is on the opposite side of the room to my desk).

15. Tazor

Tazor Member

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Asus has FINALLY confirmed Strix X370-i Gaming and Strix B350-i Gaming AM4 ITX motherboards for October.

No press release or photos, but a number of european tech sites are reporting after Asus confirmed.

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Colour me sold :thumbup:

17. Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah if they essentially glue an am4 socket to the board I have (the Z270I Strix board) I am selling my intel board and chip and getting a 1700 with the B350 strix board

18. tired

tired Member

My Mini ITX system is the one I use most of the time (and have for a while tbh). I call it my Media PC but its used for most of what I do really. Its connected to a Sony Bravia LCD tv via HDMI. I use a wireless Logitech keyboard with a touchpad from the couch. The case sits inside of the tv cabinet in the lounge room.

I used to have a POS AC Ryan media player that I learned (quickly) to loathe with a passion; when I first went ITX to replace it....IT WAS LOVE!

I recently replaced the motherboard/cpu/ram, after the mb crapped itself at age 5 years (Asus P8H77-I + Intel G2020 + 4gb Corsair XMS).

Specs:

GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI
    AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Processor with Wraith Stealth
    Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 (2x8GB)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 Superclocked 2GB
    Intel 535 Series 120gb SSD
    Western Digital WD Black 4TB
    Corsair SF450 SFX PSU
    Silvestone Sugo SG06 Case + Noctua NF-P12 Case Fan
    Logitech K400r Keyboard

The case has Acoustifeet on it, as the WD Black and the hard standard case feet didn't get along too well :eek:

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Shopping :)

The beginnings of my new low profile vesa style case. Its not actually a Vesa mount, as the 32" 1080P TV I am hanging it off doesn't have a Vesa mount, but I'll make the case Vesa mountable and work out some kind of adapter for the TV itself (given the TV is likely to be upgraded long before the computer is).

Black 3mm acrylic sheet, with aluminium right angles for rigidity.
    The wire basket is raw material for the vented areas of the case.

[​IMG]

Bits n pieces to begin..

[​IMG]

It will be a Ryzen 1700, on a Giga AM4 ITX board, with 32GB midrange ram and a H60 cooler. It will have a low end aircooled GPU, as graphics are not my priority with this rig, but it will probably also have the ability to take a full sized top end card if I change my mind, via a 16x ribbon riser.

I've chosen the Giga because its the cheapest of the 3 available to me, and it has the best memory support. The few advantages of the X370 chipset appear to be an extra set of sata ports and the ability to run 2 GPUS.. which is kinda useless on an ITX board anyway. I only need two sata ports, I have no plans for extreme overclocking, so there is no point in paying extra for the X370 Asrock IMO. If any of them had included an upper M.2 port rather than one on the rear as all 3 do, I would have chosen it just for that.

I'll be buying the mobo last anyway, as I've heard there is a Strix coming, so if that arrives before the rest is finished, I'll grab one of those instead. Hopefully it might have a top mounted M.2, and even if it doesnt, I'd rather have a Strix :lol:

I have an intel ITX board I can use as a template in the meantime.

PSU will be a custom built G-Unique 400W pico style PSU, with a 400W (500W+ peak) power brick.

It will have 2x4 PSU, 2x(1x SATA), 2x 6+2 GPU, and a single molex, all 350mm long braided cables. The 24pin socket is of course where the PSU plugs into, so no need for a 24pin cable. I've put the SATA on separate cables to allow the drives to be in different positions if needed.

It works out at about AU$200 shipped, and will arrive in about 3 weeks.

I'll be doing a thread on this build. Basically the plan is to have a powerful productivity rig, reliable and silent, as invisible yet easy to access as possible. The outer edges and most of the mobo side of the case will be acrylic, most of the back (relative to the TV) will be steel mesh, and some of the back of the motherboard, closest to the TV, may be actively cooled with a slim fan and more mesh.. none of the current crop of boards have top mounted M.2 slots, so this will be for the M.2's benefit mostly. I'll hold off on this decision in the hope of the aforementioned Strix hitting the shelves, but if the rest is ready to go and I still dont see a Strix, I'll just grab the Giga board.

I won't be able to stop myself from overclocking it :lol: but I am going to find a nice gentle sweetspot and just stay there. I'm planning on 32GB ram @ 3000MHz, Ryzen being known for not being great with ram, I dont see the point in paying for super fast stuff I cant use.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  20. iodine

iodine Member

Really interested to see this develop.