Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

There ya go Aussie :thumbup:

[​IMG]

It ran a 6700K and GTX760 no probs with max around 60 deg in summer with a nice fan profile. Def not as cool as my main running 3x180 but nothing like the size.

It currently has a 6100 and the 760, but once I pull my finger out will have a 970 in it. Maybe a 6600K or 7600K when I can find one cheap enough for my liking... (6100 works a treat now though)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah that's cool, is that your current rig?

As I said (in case I'm repeating too much) it will be an 8400 CPU and not decided on the GPU yet but maybe a Nano or Fury-X due to their short length. It's replacing my Dell 990 so anything will beat the 750Ti.

I know a 140 rad should fit but that doesn't leave much space to fit a pump in somewhere lol. The cables from the psu kill it too, you get it all plumbed up and think that's nice, then jam all the cables in and it looks like an old spare cable box after that ...

:lol:

3. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yeah that is my current htpc. My daughters PC is in a SG13 with a 7350k under a stock intel cooler. Temps are not a problem but a better cooler would do a better job.....

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

If you go the SFX route with a shorter unit you will have plenty of space for cables and room to its left for some kind of shoddy ddc mount. 140mm with give you the best noise/performance ratio for the space.

5. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

Hey all, I'm going to be looking to change out of my Ncase M1 shortly, as my new strix 1080ti seems to be getting a bit too warm for my liking.

Is there any ITX cases out there that can take a 2.5 slot GPU, and not have it hard up against a PSU shroud, or other solid surface?

Seems like most of the popular itx cases don't have much room between a 2 slot GPU, and a shroud of some sort, let alone a 2.5 slot GPU..

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Cougar QBX?

You'd need an SFX PSU to get good clearance, but I've had a long 2.5 slot with an ATX PSU in one.. you just need to be careful in your selection of PSU. With an ATX PSU, you need the cables to come out of the left rear of the PSU, you'd struggle with a modular. An SFX though gives you plenty of room. You can get a pretty decent sized cooler into one too. I actually had a 240 AIO with two fans in one as well as an ATX PSU and a full sized GPU (980 Classy if memory serves correctly).

Some of the new Jonsbo cases would do the trick too, and damn sexy looking things they are.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

The QBX is almost a direct rip off of the Ncase.

Unfortunately I'm dealing with pretty high ambient temperatures in the NT, 35c plus on some days, and the GPU is just pumping heat all through the case.

I've added some fans to the bottom of the case, but that seems to be dumping the heat into the upper area of the case, causing higher CPU temps :(

I'll check out the jonsbo' cases again, is there an AU or US distro for them yet?

8. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

PLE has some of their stock, and if you ask nicely (and prepay), they'll order other SKUs that they don't have for you.

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

RVZ01/FTZ01 Will handle a triple slot GPU.

10. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Dudes, what's a good SFX psu for my SG13? I put up a WTB and have been offered a SF450 ($110 pp, only a few weeks old), SX600-G ($100pp, out of warranty but just returned from RMA), or I can get a new ST45SF-G for $99 at local mwave .... Which would you get? It's got an i5 8400 and a 1070 mini in it, I just want it to be quiet :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you want quiet, none of the above. They all have 92mm or smaller fans. If you have an extra 20mm of PSU length available, an SFX-L like the Silverstone SFX-L 500w for 120-130 bucks new would be the go.. The extra 20mm allows for a 120mm fan which makes them considerably quieter generally. Otherwise, all of the ones you've mentioned are good PSU's, they just tend to scream a bit when working hard.

12. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I haven't dummied it up yet, I got an ST65 short full size psu with the case, but I wanted to squeeze 2x AIO in the front too, damn it's going to be crowded in there ....

With small fan PSUs I would have thought a higher output unit would run lower in the output curve and have a better chance of keeping the fan rpm down low and quiet.

:)

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I am now on my third Silverstone SFX-L, the fan profile is horrendous, cannot speak for the 800W version though, supposedly it's meant to be improved. I rather the constant 80/92mm hum vs the non stop ramping up and down of the 120mm.
    The PSU is by far the loudest and most annoying part of my build under load, and an R9 Nano isn't quiet.
    At idle, the R9 Nano can be heard, but as soon as you put a half decent load on the system, the PSU will start ramping up and down and you will want to kill yourself, it sounds like it goes all the way to the maximum of 1800RPM then backs off, then repeats every few seconds. You need to be well below the threshold of 0RPM, or well above it.
    I will be going back to an 80mm model, not just for the noise profile, but because my current setup means that 1/3 of my radiator is blocked, so a shorter PSU will be better for cooling.

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

That sucks terra, thanks for sharing (and warning us)

I expected my 1070 mini to be the same but I can't hear it unless I bend down close.

15. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Also, just thought I'd post some pics, finally 99% done with my build, only changes left is the upgrade to Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini, and downsize to SFX (non -L) PSU.

Corsair H75 + Noctua A12x15, this fan is amazing, even with a 140W heat load and 1/3 of the radiator blocked by the PSU, 80C @ 1400RPM is excellent. To put that into perspective, my previous setup was with Corsair H90 + Noctua iPPC A14 @ 1200RPM / 80C / 150W.

2x 5TB Seagate Backup Plus HDDs for when storage needs call at LANs :p

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Very nice, everyone puts Noctuas on Corsair AIOs, are all Corsair fans that bad? I bought some of the maglevs when they came out and the drone/flutter they make is dreadful, sold them straight away.

I was looking at a H90 for my 8400 but the H80i looks to much beefier .... I was going to x31 my 1070, since I bought the G12 yesterday I might as well test it out.

So I was looking at stacking the x31 behind a H90 ....

17. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

What case is that?

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Another option, even quieter.

A G-Unique pico style PSU like the one I am currently using on my R7 1700. 400W constant, 500W+ peak modified Dell power brick.
    Choose whatever cables/plugs you need, how long each cable is going to be, the lot. A bit more expensive but saves a huge amount of space in your case, the cables are compact and exactly the length you need, and no fan at all.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/17664460/

I'm only running a 1060 but the brick should handle a 1080 with no problems. The only downside is a bit of extra cost ($231 AU shipped from China) and 2-3 weeks for delivery. Mine only took a couple of weeks. The seller is well known in other forums, his work is good, this is a damn good PSU IMO.

This is mine..

[​IMG]

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Ok dumb question, if nearly all power supplies have fans and SFX air requirements make them annoyingly noisey, then why doesn't the brick need active cooling at all?

Is it worth check power draw at the wall before ordering a brick style power supply?

I was toying with the idea of repositioning the psu to the front of my SG13 and mounting my GPU where the psu was via a riser, going to a Pico psu makes this even easier. Then maybe I can squeeze a 240 rad into the side where the GPU was ....

20. holdenfanatic

holdenfanatic Member

Just got my new build (8700k and 1080ti) running on a sp600 running and even under full load I can’t hear it at all. It’s on my desk right next to me too