Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Azzan

Azzan Member

I'd prefer to use Lian Li PC-Q21 or PC-TU-100 case if possible(cos SG13 is bit flimsy), but then I'll be limited to 170mm and 193mm lengths GPU.

Should I just stick with the Silverstone SG13 spec above or go for Lian Li PC-Q21 instead?
    CPU: Intel i5 6500
    HSF: Cryorig C7
    M/B: Asus Strix B250I Gaming
    RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2666
    GPU: 4GB MSI GTX1050Ti Aero ITX OC
    SSD: 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2
    CASE: Lian Li PC-Q21
    PSU: 500W SilverStone SX500-LG

2. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I guess it really depends on what you (or your friend) place value in - it's a build that's supposed to be approximately $1000, so:

Will the cheaper price of an SG13 allow you to spend other funds elsewhere for better effect?
    Is the build quality of the case important? (i.e., lot of travelling with the system planned)

If it's just a decision regarding aesthetics or subjective preferences (I know from your post history that you like Lian Li cases), then neither I nor anyone else in here can really provide valuable input on that haha...

Azzan and terrastrife like this.
  3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Gigabyte make a 17cm GTX 1080, so you aren't really _that_ limited in performance. I'm still trying to source one.

Maybe get a Cougar QBX if you need something cheap.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  4. Azzan

Azzan Member

Thanks for the advice, btw how did you know? lol
    I'd prefer Lian Li cases(PC-Q21 or PC-TU100) cos they build nice looking solid aluminium cases and also have much smaller footprint than SG13.
    Looks like Auspcmarket has PC-Q21 cases in stock(hopefully) but not the PC-TU100 cases(long wait cos they'll have to order one in from manufacturer).

Problem is both of these cases only support limited GPU length due to their design, only 170mm in PC-Q21 and 193mm in PC-TU100.
    4GB MSI GTX1050Ti Aero ITX OC - 155mm GPU length
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-AERO-ITX-4G-OC/Specification
    3GB & 6GB MSI GTX1060 Aero ITX OC - 175mm GPU length
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-AERO-ITX-3G-OC/Specification
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-AERO-ITX-6G-OC/Specification
    So if I get PC-Q21, I think MSI GTX1050Ti Aero ITX is pretty much only GPU that can fit inside the case, and I'm also worried about GPU overheating issue cos it's very small case and doesn't have much air ventilation. I used to have PC-Q20(slightly smaller than PC-Q21) running i7 5775C, onboard Iris Pro 5200 GPU with Noctua NH-L9i and it ran pretty hot all the time.

My friend won't game much so GTX1050Ti should be fast enough but I think GTX1060 would be much better for long run, so I might order and wait for PC-TU100 since my friend can wait for the system and go for GTX1060 instead.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

7. riot123

riot123 Member

Woot my Cryorig Taku just arrived in Sydney can't wait to build in it.

8. oldskoolbreakz

oldskoolbreakz Member

After a few setbacks, I finished my Phanteks Shift build and have had it running for a couple months.

[​IMG]

The final specs are:

CPU
    : i5 8400
    CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 120
    GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC2 hybrid (120mm AIO)
    Mobo: Asus Strix z370-I
    RAM: 16GB Gskills Trident Z RGB 3000mhz
    PSU: Corsair SF600
    SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (500GB and 1TB)

A few thoughts:
    • The pic above is very average - it looks way better in person
    • For gaming, this is a big upgrade over my 2500k / 1080gtx build, ~25% increase in FPS and frametimes are way less choppy.
    • The 120mm AIOs are a very tight squeeze, but do a relatively good job of keeping the system cool under load. GPU temps are mid 70s, CPU mid 60s. That said, the metal case panels get very hot.
    • I had originally planned on using a 3TB harddrive in the build. The harddrive mount is on the back of the case and unfortunately there is insufficient space to mount it if you want cables coming from the IO to be out of sight, behind the back cover. I ended up buying a second SSD to replace the harddrive.
    • Its a pain in the arse getting the back cover on and off, which you need to do to manage IO cables.

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

That desk is way too tidy. You need to deal with that, ASAP.

10. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

11. zantensuken

zantensuken New Member

Ooo another Nano S! Very nice!

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

fleetfeather likes this.
  12. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I ended up moving to the darkside in anticipation of going SLI. If that changes, I'll go back to ITX lol. Pretty much doubled my FPS at increased graphic details :D

https://imgur.com/a/9q4Mk

13. Tazor

Tazor Member

Great to see you got it done! Did you have any pictures of the bottom compartment with the rads in?

I'm looking forward to seeing some builds with the NZXT H200i, similar to the Define Nano S, but a bit more bold in its styling.
    Would consider it myself but holding out to do a a Louqe Ghost S1 in July when my stock allocation arrives.

Want to do a single 240mm rad in the bottom but not much else as I'm downsizing everything in my setup as I'm building a new desk which will be beautiful, but compact.

14. Seeker

Seeker Member

I was originally gonna build with this case. I gave up waiting and went with the Nano S instead. Very interested to see too.

Just finished converting all the RGB stuff to use addressable LEDs in my system so it's all Aura compatible, and fixed some of the bends that were bugging me. Lots of solder work, creating little OEM style connectors for the strips etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

museumman likes this.
  15. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I was going to go with that on mine but I decided to try something different, I will report how it goes later when it's running (long build).

Seeker - that's very cool looking with everything in sequence

:)

16. one80

one80 Member

17. Tazor

Tazor Member

I mean if you can stretch, get the Zotac. Gigabyte can still be funny with cooler removal at times so the Zotac option is simple, fuss free and more powerful. Also I personally really like the look of it.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I just thought I'd offer a report on the G-Unique's first time out in anger. I haven't had a GPU that would come close to taxing it until now.
    Unfortunately this GPU is just too physically big to suit my plans, so I'll probably sell it.. hence I'm not prepared to work it too hard. I haven't even peeled off the plastic from all the shiny bits :lol:

I ran the Ryzen 1700 @ 3800, 1.38v. 32GB LPX-2666 was @ XMP + a frequency bump to 2933, 1.35v. GPU was running @ 2020/1450, with temps in the 60's. On air obviously.

I only ran a couple of Firestrike runs, both of which were ~23000. Not bad for what I thought was a fairly moderate overclock on all parts of the system. Physics are way down due to the limits of the ram. Again, I don't want to work the GPU too hard since I'm selling it, I just wanted it to use some power and test the G-Unique PSU. I don't have a power draw meter, but research tells me I was probably pulling between 500W and 550W from the wall.

The PSU never missed a beat. Damn this thing is good. The brick got warm, but not hot, and the PSU and all cable were almost cool to the touch. Too good for this build in fact, I've decided to stick with the Ryzen 1700 and a 1050Ti LP, and buy a pico to run them. I'll keep this awesome SFF PSU for another build :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    AllezAllez, Borat and museumman like this.
  19. Tazor

Tazor Member

Wow that's impressive for an external brick! Have you seen HDPlex's Nono ATX PSU's? I love that highly efficient and high output PSU's are getting so small.
    It's at a point now where I see the giant 1500W+ monstrocities people buy and laugh xD

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah those HDPLex look interesting. They still need cables to connect them to the board, but a pretty compact solution, and they look well made.
    I might look into one for the current build, having sold the Poseidon I am buying a 1050Ti LP for a mini build, and this beast is just way overkill. I'll keep it for something a bit more demanding than my little 150W mini box.