Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

I'm also thinking of giving the HDPlex a try.. I'd love to try building up a Ghost S1 with and external radiator under my desk. The HDPlex would let me mount a D5 in there and still fit my aquaero.

2. Tazor

Tazor Member

External Radiator or Just an XL tophat?
    I was thinking of using the PSU position for an AIO 120mm radiator since it would fit, then have a completely contained unit without any tophats.

3. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

External radiator - with the large tophat it's basically the same visual volume as my Ncase M1 , but with poorer airflow (My M1 has seen some serious Dremel action).
    - I'd also want to do both my CPU and GPU so the 120mm AIO wouldn't work for me.

It's funny, I've had a 120 AIO before on a GPU. Great performance at around 900rpm. I remember feeling the air coming out of it and it was roasting. GPU sat on around 60 with a healthy OC. I would love to have known what teh water temperature was inside!! Must have been screaming....

I wonder how the 120 would go inside the ghost. Are you going to use a short GPU?

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

If I was to do it? Nah, Vega 64 Liquid was the plan. But I'm just going to do a 240mm custom loop with an L tophat and use what I have now.

5. insanity_ward

insanity_ward New Member

What are some of the smallest cases people have done a waterloop inside?
    I have a Thermaltake Black Core V1 that I might be able to mount 2 120mm rad onto.
    Looking for some inspiration/ideas to copy off of!

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Custom loop? I've had a 240 rad with DC-LT pump and micro res, GTX 970 and 7700K inside a Cougar QBX. To go any smaller you'd need an AIO or external PSU I think.

7. insanity_ward

insanity_ward New Member

Might be looking into something like that inside the V1. How's the Cougar? I've seen a few watercooled builds inside those but never appealed too much to me.

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Its.. challenging.. to put a custom loop inside. A 240 AIO on the CPU is no problem, you simply need to create some extra holes on the hinged flap the AIO attaches to. The flap is only ventilated for a 120 AIO, the other half of the flap is supposed to be for drives. Externally, a good looking case. Internally, if you add water, its a bit tight and yeah, not especially pretty, but it has no window anyway. The swinging flap helps maintenance. Like any case with more in it that its designed for, it can be a squeeze.

Removing the PSU and using a Pico style PSU (like my 500W G-Unique as seen a few posts back) would make considerable extra room for res and pump, give you more room to work with, and better airflow. Using a shorty GPU also makes life a lot easier. I like the QBX, with a bit of creativity it can be quite adaptable.

The only real way to make a small case fit everything YOU PERSONALLY want in it is to MAKE a small case.. yourself. Commercial cases are designed to be multifunctional, purpose build it for your own needs and it becomes easier to make things fit the way you want them to.

My current build (Vesa Mount aircooled R7-1700 with 1050TI LP and Wraith Spire) is a 7L box when I get around to finishing it. It would be 9L with a full height 240mm long GPU, 11L with an 120 AIO on the CPU as well, or 14L with a full 280 custom loop. Mine's being made of fibreglass, with Black Gel Coat, to match the finish of the monitor since its Vesa mount, but dont be scared to try wood, acrylic, aluminium, sheet steel, whatever you are comfortable working with.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  9. Tazor

Tazor Member

Ratzz, Louqe Ghost S1 is smaller than the Cougar and Faggan, a Swedish modder, has done a full custom loop in that.
    Louqe is working hard to make it possible to do custom watercooling without too much fuss, and Faggan is currently working on a 30mm OD Tube reservoir that can be mounted and feed through to a PSU bracket mounted DDC.

Base Ghost is 8.2L, with a L tophat it is around 10L I believe.

insanity_ward likes this.
  10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Like I said, don't be afraid to roll your own :thumbup: Just as they are.

11. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

[​IMG]

Ncase M1 with a custom loop. 240 on the floor and a 92mm on the back.
    - Tweezers were involved on several occasions :lol:.

12. Seeker

Seeker Member

[​IMG]

Shuttle SX58H7. Photobucket gallery is here

insanity_ward and DUS x SSJ4 x like this.
  13. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

Help me decide, Dan A4 or ghost S1?

I like the expandability of the ghost, and prefer the exterior design of it over the dan case, but it's about $450 for the ghost with the top hat pack, or 280ish for the dan case..

looking to build an x299 system in it, to last me quite some time, would like to do a loop in it, which would only be doable in the ghost? At least for a GPU and CPU loop?

14. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

You could wait for the Dan C4? Might be cheaper.

Or just build in any other consumer mitx case until you can justify the cost of whatever you want?

15. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

I was going to buy one of these are put a x5760 xeon in it and do this. But from my research the motherboards werent compatible for some reason, they could run the 6 core i7's but the xeons wouldnt boot.

16. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

Didn't know the C4 was a thing, looked at the thread on SFF forum, not real keen on the aesthetic, and its probably quite some time away judging by where the thread is at.

Might just buy the Ghost and be done with it..

17. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

I want the ghost pretty badly.. but the cost makes it prohibitive. It's so expensive, it might be cheaper to make my own case!

DUS x SSJ4 x likes this.
  18. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Had the same thought. You'll never get the quality of an engineer and professionally machined product. But satisfaction in doing something yourself isnt something you can buy.

I have already been spit balling the idea of 3D printing rails for panels like the ghost's extruded corners.

19. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

A case is potentially a once-in-every-few-generations upgrade though (depending on how invested in mitx you are). Given that mainstream chipsets are finally moving past 8 thread limits, there's limited reason to build anything other than mitx moving forward. You can also get enthusiast chipset mitx boards too, although they do tend to be released later in the release cycle rather than at launch.

A case is probably one of the few components in PCs where you won't be at the mercy of generational performance upgrades haha... I'm sure there's still plenty of NCase M1 V1 owners who feel limited reason to upgrade, despite V5 being available for some time now.

20. Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I agree, for the quality of the materials, research and quality of the Ghost I'd say it's justified as I can't image there's much that can go wrong and it will remain a stunning case for years.

Anyone else active in the S1 Slack?