Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tazor

Tazor Member

What did they change on the new ones?

2. Azzan

Azzan Member

More heatpipes U12(10 to 12), D15(12 to 14) and new fans with more blades(7 to 9) I think.
    New fans are expensive so new U12(now comes with 2 fans) will probably cost bit more than current D15.

Oh, new U12 is bit fatter too.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Tazor likes this.
  3. metalrain

metalrain Member

Thermals and noise is just something you have to compromise on if you plan to go as smol sff as possible. You can throttle or downclock your system to minimise fan noise otherwise just use closed back headphones while the system is under load.

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

Or in my case, buy a 35W processor and enjoy the best of all worlds!

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

So, I picked up a mobo cheap, now I need to pick a case. Needs to have a small footprint but total size doesn't matter much. Graphics card I've got for it is around 240mm but I'd probably prefer to stick to something that supports 280-300mm just in case. Ideally it would let me re-use the Noctua C14 I've got kicking around, or at least have room for a 120mm AIO - not really interested in compromising noise/thermals with one of the super-low-profile coolers.

Ncase M1 is the obvious choice, but a bit $$$

A Metis Plus might work, but I suspect the VRM heatsink on the MSI Z390i will impinge on the heatpipes of the C14, and space for a tall cooler is really the only thing the Metis has going for it....

SG13 with an AIO and minor mods to run on its side (or facedown, with ports up like the DSE Breathe) is a tempting option because it's pretty cheap...

Geeek A50X from Taobao maybe? I hate those side panels but that can be fixed.

6. Tazor

Tazor Member

I mean small footprint? Get a tower case like the Phanteks Evolv Shift..

7. Tazor

Tazor Member

Asetek's revised solution was released... and sold out... this morning:
    https://www.sfflab.com/products/asetek-92mm-aio

It's not the 545LC necessarily, just the 92mm AIO :p

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Maybe...I seem to recall hearing people had issues with thermals in the Shift? I'll give it another look.

I'll admit I had something more 12-15L-ish in mind, but it really doesn't matter.

9. Azzan

Azzan Member

Shift should be ok since it supports 82mm coolers, but Shift(30lt) is very big for ITX..
    I don't think Phanteks makes good ITX case.. seriously what's the point of buying Evolv Mini(34lt, 91cm3) when you can get small ATX case like Fractal Define C(37lt, 84cm3) with smaller footprint?

10. Azzan

Azzan Member

Heh sold my ATX system(8700K, 16GB 3600, GTX1080, 1.5TB Samsung 970) and replaced it with NUC & 10" 2in1 laptop.
    I think i5 NUC is great value(pretty much identical to i7 version but $240 cheaper) but ended up buying Hades Canyon cos Iris Plus 655 on i5/i7 NUC is probably bit slow for Diablo 3.
    Very happy with new setup, getting around average 130fps on Diablo 3. :)
    20190102_205128.jpg 20190102_211115.jpg

11. Tazor

Tazor Member

I love those Intel NUCs, I wanted to grab one of the old Skull Canyon nucs back in the day but never actually went through with it, but that's pretty cracking performance from such a small unit!

12. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Which laptop did you get?

13. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

I went the opposite, will be selling my hades canyon since I’ve just a new itx in the inwin a1 - a surprisingly nice case

14. Tazor

Tazor Member

I love this internal layout and most of the design, but couldn't deal with the plastic skirt around the bottom :/

15. argent

argent Member

I could live with the plastic skirt but I wouldn't put the LED light on for it. What I can't stand of the Inwin is the big F*** off INWIN logo on the front. Gawd.. it's like discrete lost all meaning for this design.

This is why I went with the Phanteks Evolv Shift for my ITX build. Previously I've ran Shuttle barebones systems as they were the perfect size but my last one did have some space arrangement issues with more powerful components. One thing I'll note is the the Shift definitely has some air flow issues for GPU so a blower card is a preferable.

16. Ravense

Ravense Member

Have a custom designed case coming within the next fortnight I imagine, will post a build log when it arrives! Here's a sneak peak!
    [​IMG]
    4.5L (343x180x72.5mm) case made to specifications by Gury with a brand new custom internal power solution from him too! :leet:

Tazor and Ratzz like this.
  17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Now this I am looking forward to seeing :thumbup: Any thoughts regarding content? Just a heads up.. the new RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, in its reference form, is according to JayzTwoCents an absolute beast of a card for the price, and its only 225mm long !!

Slightly longer than that in reality though as the power connector is on the end, not on the top edge as we are normally used to, but still pretty damn compact.

Its only 160w (the GTX version will only be 120w) so should cool well with dual fans and work well with one of Gury's PSU's, and even has Ray Tracing for some possible future goodness. My next GPU...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:15 PM
  18. Ravense

Ravense Member

Mostly just going to be a case swap of my old system with a few minor changes, my current specs are more than enough for my uni coursework and a few games of dota here and there :lol:

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm moving my B350 ITX mobo to wifeys Silverstone ML03 machine and going to mATX with the latest revision of the AIO build in my sig. I've just picked up an decent B350 mATX board at a sweet price which I'll be swapping my R7 1700 into (with a couple extra RAM sticks and a decent WiFi card) for now.

I'll be buying a 2200G and a basic 8GB DDR4 kit for my current ITX board for wifey's facebooker, her Haswell board (+ i3) is getting flakey so I'll take the opportunity of having a spare AMD ITX board to switch her to AMD. I'm going to settle with the B350 mATX and my 1700 for mine until the Ryzen 3000 series hits the shops, at which point I'll probably update the mobo and CPU.

I'll definitely be needing a shortish GPU though, as I've redesigned it as a horizontal mobo rig to get the monitor further away from me on the desk, and too much depth on the base, which is what a longer GPU will force, takes too much room on the desk. The GPU is the defining measurement apart from the mobo tray, you'll see why when you see the design. The 2060 is the perfect card, I was going to go for a RX580 8GB but they don't come as short as this (although obviously cheaper).

I also don't need a lot of GPU grunt, the 2060 is pushing the limit of what I am willing to pay for graphics and way more powerful than I need, but if you can have it.. why not :lol:

I've changed my plans on my rig and going back to a veneered MDF build, with a 280mm base, AIO CPU cooler, and the monitor set back on the base, its just too close to me as is. I'll be updating that thread shortly, when I have something to actually show people. The base is under construction, hopefully sometime in the next few days I'll have something to show, and will feature a hinged lid for easy access to the rig, in front of the monitor (possibly windowed, time will tell).

Totally looking forward to your build though, that case looks sweet and my new build is a significant departure from my usual ITX rigs, which I've always preferred. My new rig is huge by comparison, but incorporates both the 27" monitor and some decent speakers with amp.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:49 PM
  20. Ravense

Ravense Member

Just followed your build, looks awesome!

Ratzz likes this.