Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Azzan

Azzan Member

Lenovo Ideapad D330

2. Tazor

Tazor Member

Did you end up building your SFF build, I PM'd you in case you were interested in picking up mine, but I know you've been mulling over the idea of a high end ITX system, or what the NUC sort of your solution to that?

3. Tazor

Tazor Member

IMG_20190125_122519.jpg
    New project is a go!

4. Ravense

Ravense Member

Is that the 2070 mini?

5. Tazor

Tazor Member

Nah it's a 2060 OC. Was about to buy a 2070 mini actually but the performance per dollar is actually better on the 2060, my thoughts were to get something that works well in the meantime and upgrade down the line when the inevitable 2080/ti minis come out. This meant I could purchase a better CPU

6. Ravense

Ravense Member

Ah yeah, makes sense. I’ll be grabbing the 2070 when I get back home in March. Doubt I can justify the 80/ti :lol:

7. Tazor

Tazor Member

I went for the 2060 because you're getting 90% of the performance for 75% of the price. $200 for at best 10% is just not worth it, and with overclocking you can close that gap a lot.

So far I've been really impressed with my 2060. I sold my 8700T and 1080ti for enough to buy a 9700K and 2060 and am getting more stable performance, the highs may not be as high, but the 1% lows are higher so it feels smoother, and actually better performance than my mate running a 9600K and 1080. I've set the 9700K to a 65w power limit for the time being since I only have a Noctua L9i to cool it, but once I get my Thermalrite Silver Arrow 130 I'll have way more cooling power to push it further.

8. to4garret

to4garret Member

Finally decided to upgrade from my 9 year old 2600k, it was a full tower with stupid loud DC fans but had a few upgrades over the years and still ran most things an ultra detail 1440p (1080Ti, RAID 0 SSDs), there wasn't anything overally wrong with it - just time to move on.

Initially I planned to do a core system upgrade an move to an AIO for hopefully a quieter system, a few weeks ago I started with this as the planned upgrade;

CPU: Intel i9 9900k
    MB: Asus ROG STRIX Z390I-GAMING Mini ITX
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 (2x 16GB)
    SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe
    PSU: Corsair HX750
    Case: NZXT H200
    Cooling: NZXT X52 Kraken AIO

I put my old 1080Ti Turbo in and the System ran well, until I discovered how terrible the NZXT CAM software is. The AIO would remember the RGB settings, but not the CPU profile and would default to silent mode on reboots which would allow the CPU to overheat & throttle. The only way to restore the AIO profile is to run the CAM software, which requires an internet connection and NZXT login account (to configure hardware?) this is very slow to start and often failed due to my 3rd world NBN, it also streams ALOT of telemetry which I think is just plain nasty - such a shame as the hardware is really quite nice.

I tried to hardware hack the AIO to run from the MB, but I ended up breaking a motor winding on the pump, so that was a bit of a waste and now I had an expensive computer that has no cooler.

I researched a few options in the AIO space after that, narrowed down a shortlist but there were quite a few compromises in all of them. I didnt want to be tied to some dodgy software again and really preferred a setup that would run off the MB, this really only left custom loops and if i'm going that route it would be rude not to cool the GPU too!

After a few nights of reading and some trial & error, I wound up with the below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Swapped out the Asus 1080Ti Turbo from the 2600k as EK didnt make Waterblocks for it and the only realistic upgrade from there was a Asus RTX 2080Ti Turbo - yes, things started getting out of hand.

The new cooling setup is made of;

EK Coolstream PE 240mm Radiator
    EK X-RES 100 Revo D5 RGB PWM Pump
    EK ASUS Z270I STRIX RGB Monoblock (Modded for Z390 & Lapped)
    EK Vector RTX 2080Ti RGB GPU Waterbook & Backplate (Modded)
    XPSC G1/4 Temperature Plug
    BitsPower Compression Fittings (and misc EK fittings)
    Mayhems Ultra Clear 10mm Clear Tubing
    Singularity Reservoir Mounts
    EK CryoFuel Coolant
    Corsair LL120 RGB PWM
    Corsair Lighting Node PRO

It all fits - just!

After staring at photos for a while I took a gamble that the Z270 Monoblock would fit the Z390 MB and with some slight trimming of the VRM block it fits reasonably well, it covers all the VRM's but needed a 1.5mm thick thermal pad and two of the VRM block screw holes are not perfectly lined up.

I found the IHS on my 9900k was very concave and conversely the Monoblock was convex, I thought about leaving them alone but ended up lapping both the CPU & block as they were very, very bent.

The GPU block is stock, but the backing plate needed the RGB Strip & about 4mm grinded off. This allows the 38mm Radiator along with the 120mm fans to sit inside the case. Initially I tried with the fans outside the front of the case but the airflow was restricted too much and it struggled to maintain the coolant temp.

The pump & reservoir combo is the perfect height to fit between the cable tray and GPU, with only millimeters spare, in fact there are only millimeters spare almost everywhere. Its very serviceable however with only 4 thumb screws at the front and the rad, pump / res slides out for filling/draining.

It seems to run cool enough with everything stock (so far), non-scientifically tested with 30 minutes of Prime95/LargeFFT [non-AVX] + GPUPI the Case Temp reached 48c, Coolant 45c, CPU avg 71c and GPU 53c - its soo much quieter when loaded up compared to the 2600k.

I'm very happy with how it turned out, but I am feeling quite broke as the build was quite a bit more than i had budgeted.

atlas_, millen and Tazor like this.
  9. to4garret

to4garret Member

Looks like I was a bit tired when i routed the coolant tubing, the CPU block inlet/outlet is back to front hahaha, oops.

10. Tazor

Tazor Member

I love how it just escalated so much xD went from I might upgrade to a more up to date system to I will just spend 5 Grand on the most overkill ITX system money can buy xD well done and thanks for sharing, awesome little system man!

11. to4garret

to4garret Member

Hahaha, Yea it certainly got out of hand!

I swapped the inlet & outlet around on the monoblock tonight and replaced two of the LL120's that were infront of the radiator with some 2000 rpm fans. After some heat soaking tests it seems the coolant is a couple of degrees cooler which has helped drop the CPU by the same amount.

It all seems to be working well - time to visit the over clocking thread :D

12. Tazor

Tazor Member

Got some final renders of my new case I've commissioned.
    Very excited for this!
    Dual 140mm fans on the front, dual 80mm fans on the back, 130mm tower clearance and 225mm GPU clearance in 12.5 litres.
    There are small cases obviously, but this is as small as I can get with this level of airflow and it's still plenty small enough!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

atlas_ likes this.
  13. argent

argent Member

What are the final measurements of this case?

14. Tazor

Tazor Member

Haven't finalised the design yet so haven't provided anything.

Trying to get costs down which is going to require making the case longer without the front perforation.

I'm considering making some design changes too, possibly adding support for 270mm triple slot GPU's and relocating PSU to the top.

15. argent

argent Member

Ahh I see. Would the radiators have been bolted directly through the perforations in your design?

16. Tazor

Tazor Member

No, there is an internal mounting bracket for fans/rads that screws to the top, bottom and side, the front remains clean without any screws

17. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

In case anyone is interested Sliger's SM550 is up for pre-order.

18. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Would definitely recommend more GPU clearance... I'm currently in a case restricted to 220mm, or 230mm if I swap the front fan for a 15mm slim model instead.. Really limits you on options.

Actually changing case completely so I can play with a Vega card, as the only thing on the AMD side <240mm is a RX580 Aorus and sneh.

19. Tazor

Tazor Member

The guy who was gonna be making it pulled out so I'm back to looking for someone to make it lol

But yeah, my recent redesigns have been 300mm long instead to allow for 270mm GPU's which opens things up to reference 2080/2080ti cards, and with the PSU moved to the top it's possible to add bottom ventilation or fans and use 2.5-3 slot cards.

Back to the drawing board though I guess, thinking of getting a custom motherboard tray off SFF Labs, then I can make a nice cabinet out of wood or something and slide the tray in like an old school Lian-Li or Silverstone xD

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've had that problem multiple times when trying to get a custom case built. First they say they can do it, then they double the price, then they pull out altogether. It seems nobody wants to do the smallish one-off jobs.

As far as a motherboard tray goes, cheaper and easier to simply remove one from an old case. I'm doing just that, and building a wooden case to put the tray in, as described in the last few pages of my Ultimate AIO case in my sig.