Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Looks great.

Am I the only one here who'd love a new format for ITX?
    Put the CPU on the back of the board.

Here's how it would work:

1: Massive ITX board sized heatsink. You bolt the board TO that first. The CPU is on the back of the board, so essentially, it looks like a giant amplifier sink.
    2: Undecided on ram or IO location. Definite pros/cons to either option. Maybe one stick on each side, mounted sideways? IO... I really would say on the back. Which gives a good 40mm depth for the massive sink.
    3: GPU slot rotates 90* mounts almost flush with the "front" of the mobo. Let's say 30-50mm to allow clearances.
    4: SFX PSU at the top or bottom of this (I say bottom), blowing up over the heatsink, across the board and GPU (when it's on).
    5) HDDs... not sure. Guess it depends on whether you commit to M2, 2.5 or want 3.5. and How many. If 2.5, can practically be anywhere.
    6) Rest of case somehow bolts to the heatsink

I imagine this thing would be very small, but still capable of handling a high end CPU/GPU. Most of the time it would run passive. The rest of the time, the massive sink would have enough mass to stay within reasonable temps. I'm literally thinking a kilo plus of solid metal possibly with pipes. That ought to result in fairly stable temps even passively. No?

2. Tazor

Tazor Member

I think the new format for ITX is desktop socket boards with MXM GPU slots on them for extremely compact/narrow console style PC's with desktop class performance.

What's the benefit of CPU being mounted to the back of the board compared to the front?

Sounds like a similar concept sort of to The First or Uniq-1 which both centre around large cooling masses to cool both CPU and GPU.

I'm always happy to see innovation in this part though - so many creative ideas out there!

3. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Main benefit: Gets it out of the way of the GPU - which if turned 90* level with the board, still has its hsf pointing away from the board. Putting the GPU behind the board results in the hsf facing the board.

So it'd be more compact.

3IIE

^ 3I = GPU with hsf, IE = mobo with hsf

4. Azzan

Azzan Member

5. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

Shame is so “huge”

6. akromatic

akromatic Member

I wonder if it can fit a 240 rad down low with a water cooled gpu

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not so sure all of that is going to work. The GPU side of the mobo is still going to be exposed to significant heat, with little room for heatsinks as you've described it. Unless you are talking about connecting components on the 'front' of the motherboard to your massive 'rear' heatsink via heatpipes?

My own personal, and not so much revolutionary as evolutionary, view of a better mobo would be integrated OS modules.. basically a soldered in M.2 style drive I guess, but physically smaller. Something like a 1TB OS chip built into the board would not be terribly difficult to implement, and could be made/located to be much more electrically efficient, and hence even faster.

8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

The 'front' of the mobo/gpu would be facing away from each other. With their own cooling solution.

I figure a relatively small fan could deal with the ambient heat between the cards.

If the mobo were to be mounted "upside down" BTX style, it'd look like this from the front of the case.

orange=gpu hsf
    green= gpu board
    dark blue = pcie adapter
    light blue = pcie slot (assuming the PCIE slot could be moved to the "top" of the board when compared to current)
    Black = mobo
    Red = cpu HSF

So the only change required to a current board would be the pcie slot moved to the other end of the board, and of course, a new case standard.
    itxidea.png

9. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

But isn't this currently available/achievable/used frequently by replacing the dark blue with a common PCIe riser cable...?

10. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

I'm confused too this just looks like a standard sandwich layout.

sammy_b0i likes this.
  11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Kinda - but PCIE isn't exactly meant to have 20cm of cable.

12. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Maybe/maybe not, but has been working fine for everyone using it, as long as they aren't using a low quality cable. Quality matters.

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

For now. PCIE4 or 5 is likely to push it beyond its limit regardless of quality.

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Lian Li TU150, try to get the regular ribbon cables for your SFX PSU in the normal length from an ATX PSU. Trying to cable manage with Pro Modmesh is a pain, there's not enough space.

15. Tazor

Tazor Member

Mod mesh is so bad for SFF builds - looks great, but just doesn't bend easily and hates the right angles

16. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

regular SF600 cables too short, I already had Pro Modmesh kit and extensions from a previous build with an RMi.

17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Just another TU150 update. The rear fan grille is terrible, it creates so much turbulence you can hear it in the next room over. I'm gonna have to get a plenum/spacer 3d printed for this.

18. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

3900X/Strix B450i in. I had a massive headache with the Thermalright Le Grand Macho, as it's designed for Intel monolithic dies, it doesn't put down pressure where is required for Ryzen. I'm still contemplating what cooler to use.

https://imgur.com/QISCB75

19. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

How is the GPU temp in TU 150 ? I am planning to move my itx system from TU100 and I am currently dunno if I should wait for the DAN A4 I ordered for probably another month or just wait for the TU150 non TG version to come out.

20. Tazor

Tazor Member

Dan is going to be better IMO for GPU temps.
    CPU temps are usually the hard part