Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. r3load3d

r3load3d Member

Hi everyone, I recently downsized my main gaming and work rig and thought I'd share. My previous rig was a watercooled TJ07 that sat under my desk, but I really wanted a rig I could fit on the desk and also something more understated (and therefore girlfriend approved). I also wanted to see if I could achieve a quieter system (at least at idle/low load) by going with air cooling.

In the end, I decided to go with the Cerberus X from Sliger (https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus_x/), being the smallest case compatible with my existing ATX board and also has a heap of fan mounting locations.

The build consists of the following:

- Ryzen 3900X
    - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
    - 2x8GB G.Skill Flare X 3200C14 running at 3400C14
    - Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC (running at 2025Mhz max boost and 7700Mhz memory)
    - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe drive
    - Silverstone SX800-LTI SFX-L PSU mounted to front panel

The CPU cooler is the Noctua NH-C14S with 2x Noctua NF-A14 chromax fans blowing towards the motherboard (one mounted to case side panel). The case is also fitted with 2x NF-A14 at the bottom as intake, 2x NF-A12x15 at the top as exhaust and a NF-A9 at the rear, also as exhaust.

I also have a Corsair Commander Pro fan controller installed, for two main reasons. One being that the motherboard doesn't have enough fan headers, and also the motherboard doesn't allow for fine control of each fan though the BIOS. Specifically, I wasn't happy with how the motherboard kept ramping the CPU fans up and down which was very audible and annoying. The maximum hysteresis setting for the CPU fan on this particular board is 3 seconds, which isn't long enough. The Commander Pro doesn't have hysteresis settings at all, but it does have 4 temperature probe headers. I put one probe in my CPU heatsink (between the fins) and another in the GPU heatsink. This allow me to set fan curves based on CPU and GPU heatsink temperatures (bottom fans are based on GPU temp, the others are based on CPU temp), which change much more slowly than die/package temps, therefore allowing much slower and smoother fan speed changes.

Thanks to this fan/controller setup I can run all the fans at 400-600 RPM at idle/light loads, which is effectively silent. The GPU fan doesn't run at all except under load. Even fully loaded, the fans are set to run at a max of 900-1000RPM which is very quiet, along with a custom GPU fan curve (Max GPU fan speed is about 1450RPM). Inaudible when gaming with headphones on, even during quiet moments.

With this setup, the CPU temperature hits a max of 83 degrees under a Cinebench R20 loop and around 70 degrees when gaming, and the GPU hits a max of 72 degrees with the above overclock and custom fan curve.

Overall I'm really happy with how the build turned out. I was a bit worried about cooling performance vs noise levels compared to my previous build, especially when gaming, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Obviously temperatures are higher, but I only gave up 50-100Mhz all core CPU boost. Lightly threaded loads such as games show no performance loss (same max boost clocks). I can't comment on GPU temps, boost etc. as I swapped out a watercooled 1080Ti for this air cooled 2070s.

The case is great quality and was great fun to build in. I'm really impressed with how versatile it is for the size. You could easily fit in a custom loop with 2x 240mm radiators if you wanted. The only minor downside is the lack of cable management options. There's some cut outs in the motherboard tray for zip ties, but you can't tuck any cables between the tray and side panel. In the end I just tucked as much as I could behind the power supply and secured everything else to the front of the case behind the Commander Pro.

I'd also like to upgrade the case feet to the chrome feet available from Sliger, but pricing is a bit steep at US$25 plus shipping from the USA. The standard feet are black rubber and are fine, but don't match the premium feel of the rest of the case. If anyone is planning an order from Sliger let me know, I'll cover a portion of your shipping (plus shipping from you to me) if you can add the case feet to your order for me.

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tazor and Azzan like this.
  2. Azzan

Azzan Member

Dude.. GTFO! This is Mini ITX Onwers Club.. ><

jk.. I never heard of Sliger Cerberus X, but that case is awesome.. love the fact that you can use ATX mobo on such a small case.. :thumbup:
    I thought Fractal Define C was small for ATX, but Cerberus X is even smaller than Lian Li PC150. :eek:
    Sliger Cerberus X - 380 x 172 x 358 = 23.4lt
    Fractal Define C - 399 x 210 x 440 = 36.9lt
    Lian Li PC-TU150 - 375 x 203 x 313 = 23.8lt

Where did you buy the case & how much did you pay?
    Is it better to use SFX-L(over standard ATX) PSU on Cerberus X?
    Any issue during installation & anything you dislike about the case?

p.s. looks like Noctua NH-C14S is no longer sold in Aust, so be quiet! Dark Rock TF might be best alternative.

3. r3load3d

r3load3d Member

It's an ITX sized case so I thought I'd get away with it haha.

Purchased the case direct from Sliger in the USA. Ended up being US$275 plus US$80 for shipping. Not cheap, but I expect this case will last me a long time so should be worth it in the long run.

There's not much difference in terms of usability between an SFX and SFX-L power supply. Cable management might be slightly easier with an SFX unit if you use a long GPU (>300mm) as there will be more space between the cables and the back of the card. I went with the SFX-L unit as it was cheaper than the Corsair SF750, plus it has a 120mm fan so it should be quieter under load. At idle and low loads the PSU fan doesn't even run.

Only two things I didn't like about the case was the lack of cable management options (to be expected from a case this size) and the feet could be better (for the price I think they should include the optional chrome plated feet). Other than that it's great.

You're right about the C14S, I had to order from Amazon. The Dark Rock TF was my second choice but the C14S should perform slightly better, especially with 2x140mm fans.

Azzan likes this.
  4. akromatic

akromatic Member

speaking about ITX sized case, the new o11 mini looks really interesting. looks like i cant call my q37 an o11 mini anymore

5. Azzan

Azzan Member

I think it's way too big for an ITX(38lt).. TU150(23.8lt) is already big enough for ITX imo. :D
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15264/lian-li-unveils-the-o11d-mini-versatile-38-liter-chassis

But if you don't mind large ITX then also check out new Asus ROG Z11(39.8lt), at least it's got much smaller footprint.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15347/ces-2020-asus-unveils-rog-z11-mini-itx-chassis-for-gamers

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. akromatic

akromatic Member

But it is not a mere itx chasis though. It can fit a full atx like the cerberus

7. Azzan

Azzan Member

My mistake, thought it was ITX only.
    It looks good so it'll probably sell well, but I don't like it.. cos you have to use SFX PSU and can't use Noctua D15.
    I rather get slightly larger Fractal Define/Meshify C, use any PSU and fit D15.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  8. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Hey ITX fans

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd drop my little Nano S build in here (old PSU pictured). For its current state to be 'finished', I've got to change a few things, namely print a new version (in black) of the bracket holding the res/pump from ABS instead of PLA so it doesn't soften when things heat up, custom make some neater PCI-e cables, then add some addressable RGB lighting as at the moment the GPU is the only thing that glows. I love to tinker so speak up if you think I should change anything else! :)

I love compact and efficient and firmly believe PC cases have way too much vacant space inside. See how empty the case looks without the watercooling:
    [​IMG]

...so longer-term I want to look at modding the Nano S to make it smaller. Ideally I'd like to fit the pump/res above the CPU, and in such a way I can fill it through the top of the case. With an SFX PSU installed where pump/res was, the bottom of the case could be lopped off - basically placing the GPU right against the bottom. Cramming a couple of 140 rads in the remaining space, the case could be shortened to the length of the GPU without reducing the total rad surface area - and the single 280 seems to do well. The trick will be whether or not I can get the rads with their fittings packed into the space left over. I think I'll have to 3D print some dummy rads and fittings to test fit. The layout would look something like this, and I'd go with a cut-to-size piece of tempered glass for a side panel:
    [​IMG]

Specs are:
    • i7 8700K | EK copper / acetal block
    • Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Windforce OC custom BIOS | Bykski copper block (availability prevented me going with the nicer EK block)
    • The ol' trusty 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB (F4-3200C16D-32GVK) - have had this for my last 4 builds thanks to the price silliness of DDR4 a while back
    • Gigabyte H370-N WiFi - need something better, suggestions? 2x M.2 minimum
    • Corsair RM750i
    • EK pump / mini res combo
    • EK 280 CE rad
    • clear tube, EK comp fittings 12/16mm
    • 2x 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 - no SATA devices in this build!
    • Just the fractal fans that come with their cases. Need to invest in better SP ones but they do the job for now
    I'm cracking 10k in Unigine 1080p Extreme so I'm very happy with the setup overall

9. Azzan

Azzan Member

ShadowBurger likes this.
  10. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I wouldn't mind an official ranking but I'm not keen to pay for the license for software I'll rarely if at all ever use again just to get it... Is anyone in that thread keeping track of the top scores?

I'll try it on Medium when I get a chance and let you know. I didn't bother with anything but the extreme as I've purely been looking at the comparison of my results to what user 'zhrooms' from overclock.net has been getting in his 2080ti OC thread to get an idea of how well it was working. For a 380W flashed A card and the same CPU as him, my scores are about 200 or so points short but I think I can safely put it down to radiator capacity (or possibly more likely: the use of improper fans) as my system definitely suffers from heat soak by the end of the benchmark. Not to mention I am running H370 chipset which limits my RAM to 2666... so there's probably really a few factors

11. Azzan

Azzan Member

yep, I update scores regularly so feel free to post yours when you are free. :)
    I think 1080p extreme used in hwbot(found out later) but pretty much everyone's posted their result in 1080p medium on OCAU thread, so we are using that as default. (I blame Unigine since 1080p medium is the default bench setting when you open it up)
    Umm there's a trick you can do to get ~300 higher score at 1080p medium, so you'll probably get like extra 100-150 at 1080p extreme. What's your max GPU temp on Superposition? obviously you'll get higher score if u can keep the temp low, and there are few ways.

12. millen

millen Member

Looking at downsizing my next build, currently rocking my 2012 build in my trusty old Antec P183... but ITX looks too appealing.
    What do you think of my parts list so far?
    Wasn't sure on Dark Rock Pro or Standard Dark Rock... or perhaps one of the Noctuas?
    Also, the ASUS MB... yay or nay?
    Going to be using my existing GPU for the time being. MSI 980Ti.

upload_2020-1-15_20-25-13.png

13. Azzan

Azzan Member

Looks good, but I would change few things:
    1. 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 CL18 - extra $10 https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47631/g-skill-ripjaws-v-16gb-2x8gb-3600mhz-cl18-ddr4
    2. 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD from MSY - $41 cheaper
    3. Noctua NH-D15 for better performance (extra $6 @ MSY), but it's also gonna be harder to install cos its very big
    - You can also save $80 on mobo and get ASRock Z390M ITX/ac instead

Price diff between i9 9900 & i7 9700KF is $160 so you could get i9 for same price, if you save money on Mobo/PSU(600W)/SSD.

millen likes this.
  14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you can fit a Dark Rock Pro 4, you can fit a DH15. The Noctua is only a couple of mm taller than the Dark Rock Pro 4, and only because of the stupid way the Noctua fans protrude above the cooler fins.

Just how big is the TU-150? The Dark Rock Pro 4 is a massive cooler for an ITX build. You may find the downfiring Dark Rock TF to be more suitable. Being downfiring the TF will help a bit with VRM cooling as well. Its also pretty capable.

Here is a Dark Rock Pro 4 sitting next to an RX580 Sapphire Nitro+ (a pretty heavyweight cooler, although being dual fan not as long as some) on an X470 Taichi (ATX) board (excuse the dust, case is unfinished). Not a small cooler.

[​IMG]

'TDP' ratings are a bit of a wank, it's a pretty vague subject and depends on how the company measures it, but comparing one cooler to another directly using a companies own ratings, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is rated by be quiet!! at 250W and the TF is rated at 220W, so that's a pretty decent apples to apples comparison. Noctua don't bother publishing a 'TDP' rating for their coolers.

I've owned D15's before and currently use a Dark Rock Pro 4, and functionally there is very little between them. Maybe a degree or two at most in terms of heat, not necessarily in Noctua's favour really - within margin of error in most cases - and the Dark Rock is actually quieter than the Noctua IMHO.

The be quiet!! range is far better looking too in my opinion, though of course that's a subjective matter of personal taste.

I'd be checking out the Dark Rock TF were I looking for a cooler for an ITX build (although its not really a 'small' case if any of the coolers mentioned here are fit for purpose). It would easily handle an overclocked 9700KF if you have the room, and you are FAR more likely to have the room for a TF than you are with a Pro 4.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    millen likes this.
  15. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Picked up a Silverstone ML-08 today. Chasing an SFX/SFX-L Psu. if anyone has a spare hit me up! Can pay or trade a Toughpower XT 775w modular + cash or something :)

3D printing some custom front grill based on the Hooli Gavin Belson Signature Box 3 (parts designed by Ben Hoad here on the forums!)

Will be my new lounge/light gaming pc.

16. Tazor

Tazor Member

Ordering my Velka 5 this week - 5.7l will make it the smallest system I've had

17. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

is it coming back in stock this week?

Was looking at the Velka 5 but wasn't sure what stock level will be like so ended up narrowing it down to K55 or ZS-A4 V2 (though this is "big")

18. Tazor

Tazor Member

Nah, I'm buying a "defective" case off him directly - which just means done minor finish imperfections on some of the panels - if you email Michael from Velkase directly he may be able to hook you up with one, they're about $250 shipped with a riser.

Azzan likes this.
  19. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

Ah interesting is that 250 USD or AUD if it’s aud I’m pretty interested for sure.

*edit* just sent him an email

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 6:51 PM
  20. Azzan

Azzan Member

That's small, but would have gone for the new Ghost Canyon NUC(5lt) instead if it was available?

I think the advantages of GC NUC = very easy to build & purchase(once available), neat, hopefully very quite too(like Hades Canyon NUC).
    But disadvantages = not very customizable(although you might be upgrade the CPU with GC in future), limited to 8" GPU & require external PSU(on Intel model afaik) and maybe the price(but many tiny cases are also very expensive anyway).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 3:08 AM