1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Azzan

Azzan Member

You are probably right.. the fact that Ghost Canyon is the very first NUC to offer proper dedicated GPU sounds very interesting to me(think there was one other NUC in past with tiny upgradable GTX1080/1060 but those GPUs were super expensive), but GC isn't that small(even the smallest Intel version's gonna be 10+ times the size of normal NUC) and I also agree about questionable design decisions(i'm also worried that GPU might underperform since it's gotta share PCI-E lanes with mobo/CPU).
    Anyway I think next NUC(one after GC) should be great, cos it'll also offer discrete graphics, fix all the problems on GC and should finally have 7-10nm Intel CPU(about freaking time!!!!).

2. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

How's that thing a NUC? I thought the 4x4" form factor was the whole point, that seems like a step backwards

3. Tazor

Tazor Member

I mean NUC just stands for next unit of computing which I'd say is fitting since it's a unique offering, if a little ironic since having the CPU on a slot in card was normal like 20 years ago xD

4. Azzan

Azzan Member

I wouldn't get GC if it's noisy, but hopefully GC alts will have better cooling?
    At this stage I'm still leaning towards GC over ITX for friend's build.. i.e. GC alt(7lt) + RTX3070 vs 10900S, Z490 ITX, RTX3070, TU150(23.8lt) cos smaller size, but if it's noisy then no thanks.

Yer I think it's bit hard to call 5+lt a NUC, kinda like making a 60+lt case and calling it an ITX case. :D
    I think it would be much better if they teamed up with NVidia and just use high-end mobile GPUs on laptops like they did with AMD on Hades Canyon, but guess they won't make that much profit then..
    Hades Canyon was awesome, only ~double size/weight of normal NUC(and very quite) but also with GTX1050Ti performance GPU, i.e. similar to GTX1050Ti in size but you get a whole computer instead of just GPU. If they could do same with ~RTX2060 performance GPU and ~8700K CPU that would be unreal imo.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  5. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

It only means good thing with sffpc being more mainstream I’m always happy to not have to pay 400-500 and/or wait 3-6 months for the next production run for a case; if it means the big company starts producing cases to compete with the current niche competition.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. Azzan

Azzan Member

Been using it for ~3-4 days now and I think new MSI 10th gen NUC(Cubi 5) is freaking awesome.. it looks much better than Intel NUC(at least imo) and also much quieter than standard i5/i7 NUC and even quieter than Hades Canyon NUC, i.e. it runs pretty much silent all the time.
    I'm gonna probably get my dad same one(but with i5 model and 500G SSD), installation is very easy too, much simpler than Hades Canyon.
    [​IMG]

One minor down side of any 10th gen NUC = Intel UHD graphics, it's actually slower than Intel UHD630, but still much faster than Intel UHD620(so good enough to play Diablo 3 at max settings), https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18436722/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    neogeo likes this.
  7. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I'm still annoyed with the BOXNUC8i7BEH4 I shelled out for.

Constantly throttles, spinning the fans up and down with basic use. Clearly awful cooling in this thing.

It annoyed me to the point that I disabled the turbo boost and now just use it at 2.7ghz.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    neogeo and Azzan like this.
  8. Azzan

Azzan Member

Man that really sucks, sorry to hear that.. but thanks for letting us know. :thumbup:
    Intel's been using barely adequate heatsink/cooling on normal i5/i7 NUC's since the start, so I know i7 models used to run very hot and super loud all the time. :(
    I thought they fixed it a bit when they launched Skull Canyon(still bit noisy) cos Hades Canyon was very quite overall, but maybe that's not the case.

5th gen i7 NUC @ idel
    [​IMG]

5th gen i7 NUC @ load
    [​IMG]
    https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i7ryh-review_163523/4

i.e. get Asus/Gigabyte/MSI equivalent models if you are going for i5/i7 NUC, cos they are silent(and still same size). gg Intel :thumbdn:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    neogeo likes this.
  9. Azzan

Azzan Member

woot Scorptec's Ghost Canyon NUCs listed on website, but they aren't cheap($1500, $1800, $2400 just for CPU, M/B, Case, PSU).
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Branded-Systems/NUC-&-Mini-PC

$1500 for cheapest Ghost Canyon NUC is total rip off($200 higher than high-end Hades Canyon) and you only get i5 CPU(4c/8t).. also ~10 times larger, probably much noisier, bit slower and more than double the price of MSI Cubi 5 i7 model just cos Ghost Canyon can support 8" discrete GPU. :(
    Extra $300 for i7 CPU(6c/8t) then another $600 for i9 CPU(8c/16t) is also rip off.. cos the price different between i7 9700K and i9 9900K is less than $200. :thumbdn:

Will wait for proper reviews but not looking good.. gg Intel

10. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Hmm its tiny and cute but.....those prices

11. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Worth modifying it somehow? New paste, cut any vented slots open to improve airflow, etc?

12. Azzan

Azzan Member

Well Ghost Canyon aren't that tiny at 5 liters, 10 times the size of normal NUC, and non-Intel versions are suppose to be even larger(~7.5 liters iirc).
    At that price is doesn't look good to me, but I'd be most worried about the heat/noise cos Intel's been using barely adequate noisy cheapest cooling for all high-end NUCs so far afaik(except Hades Canyon).

13. Azzan

Azzan Member

I doubt new paste or larger vents gonna help much cos it's Intel's fault for using the cheapest, lowest quality heatsink/fan.. it's sad really cos other NUC equivalent models(Asus/Gigabyte/MSI) are same size, same TDP but they all run silently thanks to proper cooling.
    Only option with Intel NUC would be replacing the case and cooler with 3rd party chassis from UK company(Silent NUC/Quite PC), but they aren't cheap.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  14. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Look I won't deny a man his hobbies but IMO just go an ITX build :thumbup: even sticking at 5 litres you can do a lot better performance-per-dollar. NUCs are for kiosks and office computers anyways :p

15. Azzan

Azzan Member

Meh I'm disappointed after seeing that RRP.. I was hoping i9 model(9980HK) would be ~$1600-$1700.. not $2400 RRP.
    9900KS is US$524(~AU$900 RRP) and 9980HK is US$583 so you should be able to get 9980HK for AU$1000 according to Intel pricing.. so basically Intel's charging another AU$1400 for the super tiny ITX mobo(can't be worth much more than $350-$450), Case(~$200) and 500W PSU(~$200) + extra ~$650 on top.. wat a rip off!!!
    9900KS = https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...900ks-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html
    9980HK = https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...980hk-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

IF Intel Ghost Canyon runs hot and noisy all the time then really, no one should buy it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    zwatton likes this.
  16. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Finding a small ITX case is the tricky part but something like https://www.casebycasedesign.com/ could be the go

$1,882 for a 9900K ITX setup with premium parts if you were to buy it all new from Scorpy boi. Run the onboard gfx or add something like $560 for an RTX 2060 MINI. And obvs save a heap going 2nd hand

[​IMG]

If you're less picky about brand and going top specs

[​IMG]

don't mind me just having fun building systems :D

17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Been looking at that case.... that layout but with the AIO loft built-in would be perfect for a project I have in mind. Unfortunately I think having the loft as a seperate piece rather spoils the look of the thing (Yes, I think the Ghost and the Steck look stupid too)

ShadowBurger likes this.
  18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I've been thinking about the Velka 5 for myself but of course its barely available and I want to keep my system on watercooling

I'll be sucking-and-seeing how I go with modding my Nano S. Now that I'm settled into the new house I can break out the dremel and start doing things. My only gripe with the Nano S is that it's just a bit dated. Acrylic window with a big border and total lack of lighting can't compete with the likes of the NZXT H200i. And too big of course - designed for 3.5" drives and full ATX PSU.

19. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

NCase M1 is always a good option for water-cooling vs size compromise? Otherwise the upcoming sidearm-d/t1 (limited)/c4-sfx and then you got a plethora of taobao cases that can support various water-cooling options?

20. Tazor

Tazor Member

How are you cooling the 9900K? The Asetek 92mm AIO will struggle I reckon.

better option would be to do a 9900F with a slim cooler and just get a Velka 3.