1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

Got notification that my ncase has been sent Friday just waiting for it to arrive to rebuild my main pc :D

so excited.

2. asho444

asho444 Member

Just picked up a Silverstone SX800-LTI 800W SFX titanium for $130.
    Looking forward to playing with this bad boy and getting a big oc out of the vega, im pretty sure it was spiking more juice than my 500Watt unit could take.

3. evade

evade Member

Similar build to what I was thinking - What CAS latency did you go for?

Nice - My was dispatched on Tuesday..Looking forward to it. I also have a aliexpress miniitx case with a flex psu on the way for older system to drop into.

4. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

Still waiting for it to arrive in aus but theres some one whos being low balled for 200 for a v6 thats new in price check if anyones interested (should be 300 minimum)

5. miicah

miicah Member

So at what point did mITX become the realm of cool kids instead of something easy to do? The cheapest boards are like $140 and climb straight from there, I remember when I bought my first one it was like $90?

6. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

you can still do cheap itx if you look around - the reason boards start higher is because 1) there's much more demand for richer feature-sets and thus not much stock of lower end options; 2) itx has lower demand and thus commands a higher price; 3) there's less competition in the itx segment; or 4) a combo of all the above.... You could always bail on itx and aim for a compact atx case instead though

miicah likes this.
  7. miicah

miicah Member

Yeah looking to build a HTPC with leftover bits and I only have a mitx case.

8. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Oh, what sort of chipset are you looking for?

9. miicah

miicah Member

Well I had two plans, either find a cheap old CPU/mobo combo (spec doesn't really matter, something like an i3 at least)

OR

Use my Ryzen processor from my current main PC and buy a new 3000 series to replace it.

10. Treggs

Treggs Member

11. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Got a spare Gigabyte H370N-WIFI I'm not using, $100, PM if interested?

12. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Does anyone have a spare mITX mobo that can take an i5-7500 that they want to sell?

I setup a NAS running Unraid on my Dell 7050 SFF that was previous being used as a Win10 box to server as a plex serve and NAS like with network shares. I now want to buy a Node 304 since the dell is limited to 1x 3.5" drive (I want 4 for future...currently using 2 external drives in addition) and would like to re-use my RAM and CPU. I'll need to buy another PSU since the Dell has some custom one and i believe a non-standard mobo.

Just want a mobo that's got 4x Sata ports.

13. kmao37

kmao37 Member

Picked up a nice little item today... Asetek 645LT. Got it for a banging price and looks to be in pretty good nick.

Going to test a couple of cases. I think these last 2-3 weeks at isolation is where I've sold and bought the most stuff. Went from clearing out my room with the spare stuff I have to ordering 2 new cases (S1 + A4). Shame the S1 is only in black.

Any ideas if I could squeeze an aseteck in the S1? I don't want to make any mods since I'll likely sell it here if I can't make it happen. A4 looks really cool though, but I only have the regular SF cables, not the sleeved ones so I'm wondering if it'll be impossible for me to squeeze it in.

Almost ended up regretting selling the x570i I had, but likely will move to something a bit cheaper and possible run an intel + 5700xt build that I can easily hackintoshi.

14. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Alright I finally pulled the trigger on the LianLi TU150 to replace my TU100, too bad I had to order from PCCG and pay for the shipping as the Scorptec ones are sold out :sick:

Final build part list:

Case: Lian Li TU150 Black Windowless Version
    CPU: Intel I9 9900
    MB: Asrock Z390I Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
    Cooler: Prolimatech A3I
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 3600C16 2X8GB DDR4
    PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold
    GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 SC
    Storage: Intel 760p 256GB + Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Misc: Phanteks cable extension kit and Silverstone USB 3.0 to Type C adapter

I will post a picture of this build when it is done, feels great with no RGB ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    millen likes this.
  15. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Don't happen to know where I could find one of these locally?

16. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

This board is not sold in Australia, I bought mine from a reputable seller on Taobao at launch. Your only option is Newegg or Amazon but you lose the warranty.

I would grab the Strix board if you cannot get an used one here and your cooler do not get in the way of its heatsink, although this board is praised by media but very few media mentioned the downside of this board such as the super tight memory slot spacing which cause cooler and RAM compatibility issues ( you cannot use DDR4 with thick heatspreader on this board unless you do not mind bending the memory slots a bit) and the gimped thunderbolt compare to its X570I brother which has a 40Gbps thunderbolt instead of 20Gbps.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  17. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Thanks. Yes those two boards made the short list.

18. Azzan

Azzan Member

Hmm almost forgot that I was gonna build high-end ITX gaming system(or i9 Ghost Canyon NUC) for a friend and give it to him with RTX3070/3080 GPU when it comes out.
    But I wanna build one soon so I can use it for myself.. (been using NUC with Intel HD GPU for past 2+ months and getting bit bored thanks to Coronavirus hibernation)

I think the price difference(between Ghost Canyon and custom ITX) is gonna be ~$324 and not sure which would be better option.. there's only one Ghost Canyon review on YouTube/net and it's really dodgy, zero test on thermal & noise.
    i9 Ghost Canyon NUC build = $2399 (+ RAM/GPU/SSD)
    Custom ITX build = $2075 (+ RAM/GPU/SSD) Specs: i9 10900K, Noctua NH-U12A, Asus Z490-I, Lian Li PC-TU150, Corsair SF750

Ghost Canyon NUC advantage
    - much smoller than Lian Li PC-TU150 ITX build (5.0lt vs 23.8lt)
    - simple & unique

Custom ITX advantage
    - ~$324 cheaper
    - can fit almost any GPU (no 9" length or 500W PSU restriction)
    - faster CPU/RAM (9980HK vs 10900K, and 32GB 2400 vs 32GB 3600 RAM)
    - should run much quieter, almost silent with Noctua NH-U12A and Corsair SF750
    - can look fancy(?) with RGB case fan, diff RGB CPU cooler, G.Skill Royal RAM etc

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  19. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Nobody is making you build in one of the biggest ITX enclosures on the market. You could just plan around something smaller...

20. Azzan

Azzan Member

But that's the case I'd pick for ITX build cos it's easy to fit all the parts I want..

Anyway, I'll probably just wait bit more cos 10900K/Z490 isn't out yet and I def don't trust Intel NUC range when it comes to noise.. probably much better to go for Ghost Canyon alternative versions(7.5lt) with better GPU support(longer length & better PSU etc) and also probably much quieter too.