1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

which case you got ? L12s will cool a 3700x a aio thats not routed properly and has bad case flow wont help.

sandwich cases are great as it has plenty of ventilation and uses the side panels to pull air.

2. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

oh i decided on the 3600 not so much for cooling but because wanted to save money and mostly gaming so the performance gap wasnt enough to justify price for me, but, I have the Silverstone RVZ03, which has really good cooling/ventilation from what I seen so far, only had a few days with the build, work away FIFO

3. malamute

malamute Member

4. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

very industrial haha. heaps of customisation potential though

now have my ITX going strong with the r5 3600 and 2060 super. this thing is not only cooling efficiently (noctua L12s) but is so bloody quiet. very happy. i also now have my Jonsbo R3 sitting here ready to go for my mATX build, once I finally decide on motherboard. can anyone help me out, for Z390-matx, I can get the MSI Mortar pretty cheap on ebay, but is that a decent enough quality board? wont really be overclocking the 9700k at all, but i intend to put a next-gen Nvidia card in it when they release and make it my main gamer. i also intend to put my Soundblaster ZxR in there, regardless of the quality of onboard I wanna use it anyway, so free Pci-e x1/x16 slot placement is a priority. but mainly board quality without breaking bank. in other words, I kinda wanna limit the board price to the $280 < category, so like Prime/TUF/Mortar/Gigabyte Gaming series etc

5. Tazor

Tazor Member

Some new Velka cases on their way out in June, design refresh along with some extra case options look really promising.

The Velka 5 is getting smaller with a Velka 7 coming in to take over from the Velka 5 as the SFX+47mm CPU support+Full sized GPU support.
    Velka 5 will now be Flex ATX and 37mm CPU cooler clearance with reference GPU support at 4.9 litres which is pretty insane.

6. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Would wait to see what the QC is like rather than jump on a June batch. The current velka generation quality was pretty trash for the money being asked (which is now getting more expensive)

Also the thread on SFFN is embarrassing rn - feels like every new post in there is full of new users with lame feature requests that go against the ethos of that case series and SFF as a whole

7. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

So ITX friends, if you check out the specs for ASRocks Z490 ITX boards, there's something particularly interesting for system builders..
    ( Z490 Phantom Gaming TB3 here | Z490M-ITX here),
    Is this common for other LGA1200/10th gen motherboards?

I can't speak for the rest of you, but this gets me a little bit horny for the potential:
    - GPU & GPU (would it need Crossfire or SLI support?);
    - GPU & 10GbE NIC;
    - GPU & MOAR NVMe;
    - GPU & SAS HBA;
    - GPU & ....?

PCIe bifurcation is potentially "less sexy" now that there are already 2x M2 slots built-in, I really wanted it for my Z97 after I realised the M2/PCIe/boot-support was less than stellar.

Either way, PCIe bifurcation is still getting me excited... anyone else?

8. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Dunno how many vendors are doing the bifurcation, but ASRock has been doing it since their X99 boards :) You can find some examples on H|F and Level1Techs. There was actually a post just the other day about someone using the m.2 slot for a 10gbe nic in the same case that I have, which is pretty damn cool if you want to live with a single-slot, low-profile GPU

9. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Wow, didn't realise it was already happening, something to do with me still being on Z97 and C602 chipsets. That's frickin' rad.

10. Tazor

Tazor Member

I have a Velka 5 and it's fine - but yeah I agree that there's too many people asking for things that other cases offer and really don't align with the principle behind the Velka.

11. asho444

asho444 Member

Anybody used a Corsair 250D? looking at one with a 200mm fan.
    would that obstruct my 11" 280mm GPU?

raincloudx likes this.
  12. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

that is basically SFF forum in a nutshell im still salty i cant buy a ncase :( stupid human malware

13. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

have at present

Caselabs Mercury S3 ITX - hands down, best ITX case i have ever owned. Also owned 2 S5's (MATX and 2 S8's (E/ATX)
    Also have
    InWiin A1 Plus - very nice ITX case, going to watercool both once upgrade from 8086k to 10900k for system one, and 13 6100 to 8086k is complete! Should be awesome project!

14. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Learnt the hard way tonight that Unwin Chopin needs a custom cooler to fit AM4. Had built my z270n 7350k into one as a htpc as I had rebuilt my gaming rig so didn't need TV gamer anymore. Parents said ohh build us on so grabbed a Gigabyte B450i and 3200g combo...... Cooler too big and had intended to drop it over to them tomorrow Arvo . Fail on my behalf. Grr had I realised I would have just built them a i3 B360 combo.

15. luke o

luke o Member

Just ordered a Sliger SM560, going to be a fun ride... first mini ITX build. Anyone recommend a SFX PSU? Been looking at the Corsair SF600 and SF750 and the Silverstone SFX 700 all of which seem to be available if pricey. Anything others worth considering?

Tazor likes this.
  16. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

id go corsair their sf series are just perfect (see johnny guru reviews)

the 750 comes with individually sleaved cables.

still waiting on my chance to order an ncase again or ill go k55 :(

17. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

SF750 is running my 2080ti and 8700K. Both overclocked, rig is dead silent. Platinum efficiency is worth getting imo

SomeBoredGuy likes this.
  18. asho444

asho444 Member

You can take the top ring off the cooler which knocks off almost a cm!

19. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yeah I did that yesterday Arvo and got it to fit also loosening off the mesh a bit to give an extra 3mm or so.

Annoying when a Intel cooler is a fraction higher than the fan and fit no issues.

20. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Ordered all my Watercooling parts, cant wait to Watercool this caselabs Mercury s3!

If its anything like their big brothers the S5 and S8, should be a breeze