Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Another day, another Azzan post about NUCs...

Option #1: Omg excited about new NUCs, see these specs
    Option #2: Omg NUC is too loud/hot, I'm disappointed and will wait for new NUCs

jpw007, h2oxide and sammy_b0i like this.
  2. Azzan

Azzan Member

Intel only made one good i7 NUC so far(Hades Canyon), and maybe Ghost Canyon if you really want 5lt gaming PC(& ignore the rip off price).. but new Phantom Canyon(Hades Canyon replacement) might be good too.
    Asus/Gigabyte/MSI(and Zotac etc too I think) versions of i7 NUCs are fine.. I just ordered Asus i7 NUC and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be silent(not 54+dB like Intel version).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Lol, was about to make a similar quip re: Azzan always in a perpetual cycle of talking about NUC's, buying them, selling them soon after, whinging about them, and then repeating the cycle.

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

Everyone's gotta have a hobby - I admire his dedication to the dream of a NUC that's not garbage for high end desktop usage haha

5. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Don't get me wrong, I waste my fair share of money. Lost count of the different builds I've had over the last few years.

But you see certain usernames cycling through things.. like MoMaN69 he'll have a "I'm done with PC gaming" sale and sell his custom built gaming PC, or want to trade it for a laptop. Generally within the month, you'll see him selling a laptop, or putting up a WTB for parts for a gaming PC... I could almost swear it's happened at least three times. Back and forth, back and forth.

6. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Which model did you order?

7. Azzan

Azzan Member

meh last time sold the desktop pc(9900ks, 2080ti iirc) i switched to nuc and stayed with it for 6+ months afaik.. so long enough. and I'd probably kept it longer if it wasn't for stupid lockdown.
    Think i can easily live without playing games til Diablo 4, so I don't mind going back to nuc again if i can find right buyer for the desktop..

Ordered ASUS PN61 Intel Core i7 Barebone Mini PC - $499
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/branded-systems/nuc-&-mini-pc/75755-pn61-8i7barebones
    (great deal imo.. it's 8th gen but basically identical performance to 10th gen nuc and it's Asus model, not super noisy like Intel, and igpu on 8th is actually better than 10th gen)

But cancelled the order this morning and ordered two MSI Cubi 5(i5 model) instead for $345ea.
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/branded-systems/nuc-&-mini-pc/83023-cubi-5-10m-035bau
    (amazing deal imo, performance diff between 10th gen i5 & i7 isn't noticeable on nuc, used to sell for $699 during lockdown so $295 after cashback is a steal imo)

quannum likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I wonder if it would be better to use on board with these smaller builds than dedicated gpu? Certainly reduces the amount of space available in a mini build.

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

So you might have seen these idcooling fans on ebay, 120mm 15mm thick pwm for around $15 each.

[​IMG]

Grabbed three of them and they arrived today...https://i.imgur.com/5WShrMY.mp4 (turn sound on)

Probably go alright as exhaust but as intake they have some clearance issues... They push a fair amount of air otherwise and wouldn't be bad as strictly exhaust if your only option is a 15mm fan (more realistically 17-18mm at full speed)

10. asho444

asho444 Member

OH dope, I actually wanna pick these up as rad fans, push pull on one, push on another

11. akromatic

akromatic Member

i wonder how do these slim fans compared to the other options on the market ie noctua and silverstone

12. quannum

quannum Member

i have an idcooling cpu cooler. The fan is reasonably quiet. I don’t have a noctua to compare against though.

13. asho444

asho444 Member

I have a hardware labs Nemisis GTS rocking up today and will be running a slim silverstone fan on it (1300RPM).
    cutting up an old coffe table to make a second rad mount on the bottom of the F1 suppressor.
    should be interesting.

14. argent

argent Member

I picked up an ID Cooling slim 120mm fan ages ago (this was basically a copy of the CM XtraFlow 120mm Slim as pictured below). At low RPM, it's great but doesn't move a whole bunch of air. Sadly at full speed, this thing is literally like the annoying UFO on sounds from back in the Atari days except it just keeps going and going... Air flow is pretty crazy though at that point...
    upload_2021-2-9_11-27-8.png

quannum likes this.
  15. nigel984

nigel984 Member

Great find. Not even sure what I will do with it but at that price I will buy now, think later.

16. Azzan

Azzan Member

It's an awesome deal, MSI Cubi 5 is great little 10th gen NUC. Just ordered a i3 model for my neighbour.
    [​IMG]
    $374 for the complete system with RAM, SSD, Keyboard/Mouse & you can get 27" Samsung LED for $179 from Officeworks. = Total $553 :thumbup:
    https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...35f-led-monitor-dark-blue-and-grey-salf27t350

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  17. asho444

asho444 Member

well, looks like the Eisbaer Solo cant quite do 2 x 120mm rad and a GPU block so my wife got me the Barrow POM Pump and waterblock combo.
    That should really up the flow from the dribble im getting now.

18. argent

argent Member

I'm running an Eisbaer Solo LT in my Shift and it's doing a full 3x 120mm rads + GPU + res... admittedly bleeding is an absolute bitch to do but it does do it...

19. asho444

asho444 Member

I think the LT uses the V2 which has a little more head pressure, this one literally dribbles back into the res so I'm pretty sure that's the culprit, I also get worse temps on my 3600 than when I used the cryorig h7. Either way I'm excited to try out this new bad boy.
    Here is a crappy phone pic of its current form
    IMG_20210210_060606.jpg

argent likes this.
  20. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

can confirm the barrow unit flies, annoyingly so lol. Loudest part in my setup by far. That's between 4x Artic P12's and the idcooling 120x15 fan.

Also there is STILL air bubbles in my setup and it's been about a month, it's a bitch to bleed.