1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Phido

Phido Member

5950x 6800, 64gb ram, 2 x nvme ssd

600w psu..

Fine..

2. lennie

lennie Member

Sweet good to know. I had no idea they were under rated by so much.

My bits should arrive this week sometime.

3. Azzan

Azzan Member

Current plan for my next PC(13th gen + RTX4000 series), most likely ITX since i already have the case but parts aren't confirmed(most aren't available yet)
    (* = have already)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K
    HSF: Noctua NH-U12A or U12S
    M/B: Gigabyte Z790I Aorus Ultra (hopefully all Z790 ITX mobos won't have any issues..)
    RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR5 5200C40*
    GPU: 12GB MSI RTX4070 Gaming X
    SSD: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro*
    Case: Lian Li PC-TU150 Silver*
    PSU: Corsair SF750 or CoolerMaster 750W SFX

p.s. really glad that i didn't build ITX with 12900K & GB Z690I Aorus Ultra(thanks to advice from few members) cos GB recalled that mobo ~month later.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    BuzzPuppy likes this.
  4. lennie

lennie Member

Im seeing what people mean with the psu cable length now.

Are people managing to get their stock corsair atx cable on the gpu side of the divider on the meshlicious? Seems like one would have to kink the fuck out of it, then maybe not be left with enough length and a kinked cable. Also their CPU cable behind the gpu without using taller riser cable stand-offs?

I mean its fairly neat on the mobo side. But ya know.... relative perfection...

Still waiting for the gpu. But everything seems OK. Just really wanted to hide that atx and cpu cable. Maybe I just need to order extensions?

5. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

I went the CableMod route with custom lengths on mine as I wanted all cables hidden behind the mobo. Was expensive and took 2+ mths for delivery, so would recommend an extension at this point. Problem is that most of the extensions are 300mm plus long so you end up having to hide a lot more cable than you really want to! I ordered the non-sleeved flexible cable from CableMod and have kinked these over hard to make sure it clears the fans, and also have a Res/Pump down next to the PSU so those ends are also kinked pretty hard. So far, so good. :Paranoid:
    I never tried the stock cable behind the mobo though as barely got it in just going straight to mobo across the front.

For tidying up the GPU cables, i've used these 90 degree PCIe adapters on 2 builds now with good success and avoids kinking the cables. Just have to make sure you check your GPU to get the right orientation on them is all.

brayway and rg144 like this.
  6. randomman

randomman Member

Hearing all the talk about cabling makes me glad I went basic and got an NR200. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to drop ready built Dan A4 in my hands, fuck yeah. But I'm way too lazy to do that myself.

My 3700x with Fuma 2 rev.B seems to have settled in and with a -0.05v offset it's idling in the mid 30s. Good 15 degrees drop compared to the Wraith Prism that also had 2 extra case fans. Pretty fucking stoked with that.

7. lennie

lennie Member

Got it done. Atx cable is on front, will look at that in the future. But it's neat for now.

Primary issue now is that my windows install is freezing from usb. Seems a common issue with msi motherboards. Flashed bios, tried fresh usb from Ms website. Still just hanging on product key stage. Fuck.... i really don't wanna have to send this mobo back. There must be something I can do.

Edit: ffs. Found a random reddit post where the guy fixed it by unplugging the mouse. Did that, now it's installing. Fingers crossed.
    Nice to see fuck all has changed. This shit used to happen going back to the fuggin 80's. Rofl.

Edit 2: all done. Temps are pretty amazing considering what's shoved in there. Certainly better than any previous atx box I've had. Even under full load nothing's going over 70c. Love the ek aio. Pump isn't audible at all. Rad fans move up and down. But they sound different than 120mm ones. It's not a fan noise. Just the sound of air moving. Gpu is surprisingly quiet as well. Even when running hard, it's not particularly audible.
    Just need to sort out the atx cable and get those pcie adapters and it will look a million bucks.
    It's will be on all night downloading more games than I have time to play. Just gotta keep the grand kids off it now. They gonna be fighting to get a go.

Thanks for the help and tips everyone. The meshlicious looks great. It's definitely smaller irl than videos and pics suggest.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    jjjc_93 and Wacko02 like this.
  8. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I put together another NR200 build this week after telling myself I was done with builds for this year. A couple of tempting sales posts and I am right back in :rolleyes:

Specs
    R5 5600
    Deepcool AK620
    B550i Gaming Edge Max Wifi
    2x8gb crucial 3600c16
    Gigabyte Eagle 3080ti
    2x gigabyte gen 4 1tb
    2x ID Cooling 15mm fans for gpu intake + 1x ID Cooling 25mm exhaust fan

[​IMG]

Firstly the AK620 is an amazing fit for this case and the perforated side panel. I had to remove the cosmetic plastic covers sitting over the top of the heatpipes but after that the side panel snaps shut nicely. CPU thermals are amazing, the 5600 sits at around 60c under full load with a completely stock bios and stock fan profile. I currently have the fans set to pull air from the rear of the case but I may change that to exhaust to help expel some gpu heat at the expense of the cpu.

The 3080ti however is one hot, angry, loud beast. I knew a bit of what I was getting into with the eagle being the very entry level product from Gigabyte and the 3080ti already being naturally hot even if this card is hard limited to 350w. Load temps sit around 75c which is perfectly fine with me, but that is with fans spinning at 85%+ which is really loud. It honestly sounds like a blower cooler. Even while wearing headphones it is enough to annoy me when I hit a loading sequence or another pocket of game silence. I was lured in with a good price and now my ears are paying interest :lol: I'm also a little concerned with how it will go in summer with warmer room temps.

Luckily there might be a saving grace. The shroud on the eagle (as well as the gaming oc and vision) is incredibly easy to remove and reveals a completely flat heatsink surface.

[​IMG]

Perfect candidate for a deshroud and 2x120mm fan setup. The heatsink isn't overly tall and not that heavy so I don't think thermals can be improved a whole lot this way, but I should hopefully be able to reduce noise quite a bit. I've bit the bullet and ordered 2x Noctua A12x25 fans so I will cross my fingers and toes that it will work well. I'll come back with an update when that's done.

MR CHILLED, randomman, juzz86 and 3 others like this.
  9. randomman

randomman Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

Definitely this. It's a small case, you want to exhaust that CPU (and radiant GPU) heat immediately. I did the deshroud + 2x 120mm Noctuas on my previous RX580 and it dropped temps 10 degrees and was silent, probably won't see as huge a drop with a 3080TI but as you said would likely make it much quieter.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    jjjc_93 likes this.
  10. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

TL;DR Deshroud work. Noctua fan quiet.

The deshroud experiment has gone as well as I could ever expected. The NF-A12s are something else, I have had their cheaper knockoff from Thermaltake before but this is my first brush with Noctua themselves and there is a world of difference. No harmonic humm as they ramp up and even at 100% rpm their motor noise is extremely minimal and the majority of noise is just the sound of rushing air. So good and it makes me want to replace the rest of the fans in my case with them too..

Anyway onto the card. I used some 35mm M4 screws and nuts to mount the fans flush to the card, I was going to just ziptie them but I think this looks tidier and I can also get a bit of pressure against the heatsink to support the card.

[​IMG]

At all default settings as per the experience with the stock fans/shroud temps settled to a max of 73c with fans running at 70% rpm. A modest drop in temperatures but a massive improvement in acoustics. Pretty much exactly what I hoped for. I won't say it is silent by any means but the loud screaching of the gpu fans spinning at 2000rpm is replaced with a fix low hum of rushing air. Very easy to live with and really not much louder than the massive watercooled setup I've had previously.

The card is severely power limited at just 350w which works ok here as any more would overwhelm this cooling setup pretty quickly. Clocks will spike to 1900mhz then quickly settle to 1700 or less as it smacks against the power limiter so obviously an undervolt is required here. Currently set it to 1860mhz at 825mv which seems to be stable and working well so far. Power draw is anywhere from 300w to 350w depending on the load and average temps sitting around the 65-67c mark with fans running at 60%. Very happy with that.

Groff, Wacko02, juzz86 and 3 others like this.
  11. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Nothing to say other than that deshroud looks

██╗░░██╗██╗░░░░░███████╗███████╗███╗░░██╗
    ██║░██╔╝██║░░░░░██╔════╝██╔════╝████╗░██║
    █████═╝░██║░░░░░█████╗░░█████╗░░██╔██╗██║
    ██╔═██╗░██║░░░░░██╔══╝░░██╔══╝░░██║╚████║
    ██║░╚██╗███████╗███████╗███████╗██║░╚███║
    ╚═╝░░╚═╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝░░╚══╝

jjjc_93 likes this.
  12. avexdevil

avexdevil Member

very nice - was planning to do the same but in white.

did you not get the b450i board to work?

jjjc_93 likes this.
  13. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I got it working with a bios update. I didn't realise using 2 nvme drives drops the gpu to pcie3.0x8 so I'll use it for an office upgrade instead.

avexdevil likes this.
  14. brayway

brayway Member

Kind of tempted to try these PCIe adapters, might tidy mine up a little.
    Interesting to hear that CableMod were 2+ months, was tempted to order some to try tidy up my cables as they're a mess, far too long. Especially the 24 pin and 8Pin CPU power.

Have finally fixed my stability issues, had the NVMe drive in the bottom slot, shifting it up one slot stopped all of my odd locking up issues, so it's been perfectly stable since then.
    Might need to sort some of those cables/pipes below the radiator though, as the CPU does get a little warm and throttle during stress tests, but seems good day-to-day.
    GPU is of no issue at all, cooling wise thanks to being on its own on the other side with a vent right in front of it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  15. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

that's awesome, bookmarked for when I finally upgrade from this threadripper and actually have clearance under my CPU cooler

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

might be of interest for some, Lianli have just had their digital expo where a new dan case was announced

starts at 5:55~

Dancase A3-ATX
    Lian Li/DAN A3-mATX | SFF.Network (smallformfactor.net)

mATX motherboard/atx psu
    dual 360 rad capable
    Invertable layout
    traditional/side mount GPU
    19.7L (NR200p is 18L)

really decently featured case for the upcoming gen

garfield2k and randomman like this.
  18. Groff

Groff Member

Where the hell are all the AMD mini ITX boards?
    No one has had stock for over 3 weeks now.
    Is it just a case of stores running stock down for EOFY and new orders just haven't landed?
    There's not 1 store in Australia I can find that has a B550i board. (actually there was the crappy ASRock one that got bad reviews and even that is sold out now.

The main stores have said ETA was 2 weeks ago, and then kept pushing back the ETA by a week each week.

19. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

that a3 look nice.....good size for what I want. now to see when release date is :lol:

20. nismoscrin

nismoscrin Member

Umart has B550i strix for $330 I think?

https://www.umart.com.au/product/as...MIs83XpuCG-QIVvp1LBR0hZwNOEAQYASABEgJm3fD_BwE