Mini ITX Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by XoNikzDeVil, Nov 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

2. 3five1

3five1 Member

Hi guys

I'm looking to build a cheap rig as I'm on a budget, don't game and no need for overclocking. I put together the below parts/prices last year so they may not be right now, any idea suggestions on bang per buck much appreciated?

thank you.

Antec ISK110 m-ITX case $108
    Asrock H110M-ITX LGA1151 $119
    Intel Core i3 6100 Dual Core LGA 1151 $155
    Crucial 8GB DDR4 2133MHz 512x8 CL15 $49
    Hitachi HGST Travelstar 5K1000 2.5''/1TB 6GB/s $83
    total $514

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

That hits the spot nicely. That's a fantastic little case, vesa mount it to the back your monitor. I would seriously suggest however that you add a cheap 120GB SSD for about $60, the case has room for 2 drives. The SSD will make a massive difference for you with the OS on it and the other drive for storage.

Also, I would buy a 2TB Seagate 2.5" portable drive, crack it open, and use that instead of the Hitachi. Reason? The portable drive is almost always on special at JB, Officeworks, or somewhere else, depending on the week, at only $117. Hard to beat for a 2TB laptop drive.

So, now that I've already added about 90 bucks to your build... You haven't mentioned an operating system? That's well over a hundred bucks you haven't factored in.. you have an OS already or you plan on installing Linux?

4. 3five1

3five1 Member

Yes ...thanks

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. hardball

hardball Member

New build that people might be interested in, with more photos to follow next week when I get the water cooling installed!

I'm using an Ncase M1 with:

Xeon E5-2630v4 ES - 10 cores, 2.5ghz
    AsRock X99E-ITX
    16GB DDR4
    GTX1080ti FE

I'm planning to watercool both CPU and GPU, using hard metal tubing - I'll also be adding a glass window.

[​IMG]

6. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Nice! My Ncase literally just arrived, that thing is tiny! Only going to transplant my existing parts while i wait for some decent AM4 mITX mobos to come out (and wallet to stop hurting)... maybe i'll get a dan A4 to put y intel bits into once i go Ryzen... :leet:

Metal tubing sounds like a pita to work with in such a small case. Looking forwards to checking out the finished build.:thumbup:

7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I'd save some money and get something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-T...930299?hash=item2831c8ba3b:g:glYAAOSwtfhYtMrl

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Do you currently need earplugs? :D

9. 3five1

3five1 Member

I don't understand why people do this ...so you can watch your fan(s) go round & round ...good luck?

Not bad, my local Mission Australia has similar stuff so I may look into that first

thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  10. Furien

Furien Member

Recently build a node 202 with a msi 270i pro gaming carbon. I was planning to bolt it under my desk out of reach. My plan was to turn it on via keyboard. Put I looked through the bios and there doesnt seem to be an option for pwr on via keyboard. After some googling it seems someold mobos could do it but there are no new motherboard can?

11. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Some new mobos can, either through the PS/2 port or via USB. "PS/2 power on", or "wake on USB" would be the terms I'd search for in your mobo manual.

Alternatively, your mobo might have "Wake on LAN", if that is an option you want to explore as a backup.

12. Furien

Furien Member

Had a look in the manual already for my mobo z270i(msi) and asus mobo. They both dont to seem to have it. I would have thought it would be a standard feature.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

It is a feature, it is covered by page 47 and 48 of your user manual. I used it regularly on my z270i Gaming Pro Carbon. Its not "power on" though, I'm not aware of any motherboards that can turn themselves on in such a way, old or new. Its "wake from sleep".

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  14. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I had Z87 boards that could do it (and I used it to boot from keyboard.... originally from mouse but wife would accidentally set it off and then just leave it running all day as I had sleep disabled). My Z170 OCF seems to only have wake from suspend if I believe the manual.

You could just do that it pretty much goes to a zero state. Had a Z270i doing that on the bench today and it stopped everything lights out the works..... then booted from keyboard in less than a second.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So working better than it was when you got it? :D Good news mate.. I just couldn't face the hours of eyestrain and ensuing headache again .. I miss having strong young eyes :(

16. Furien

Furien Member

Yep it seems that wake from sleep is the only option and NOT turn computer on via keyboard. These being 2 different things. Anyone got any remote start tricks up their sleeve.

17. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I used wake on LAN for 6 months when my power button cable broke. I could cold boot my system using an app on my phone.

Actually, I eventually set it up so that the system powered up once my phone connected to home wifi (so, when I returned from work for the day, the PC booted up upon arrival). There's a few apps on iOS and Android that can do this for you, although you may need to pay for a paid version of such an app (<$5).

Aside from Wake on LAN, you can also investigate whether IR receivers might work for you, as well as wifi-enabled power plugs.

18. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Has a weird issue where I suspect it occassionally wants data through a bent pin or something. Otherwise seems stable with the 6700k underclocked at 42x and mems at 4133c19. It does the typical over tightening some tertiaries which hurts it a little with memory tuning. Will keep you updated.......and send you some coin too. :thumbup:

19. Borat

Borat Member

Hey AgenaFX, great build there m8, following those SFF forums with great interest, huge fan of that case! Hopefully Josh does a 4th run, I'm hoping for a Vanilla Ice build in all white! No doubt you've seen the boutique PSUs hand-crafted by G-Unique? Offering DC-DC ATX power solutions with 400W+ output.... just amazing for anyone interested, link is https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...bto-psus-are-now-available-direct-order.1983/

20. Azzan

Azzan Member

Change Antec ISK110 to InWin Chopin, https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35755/in-win-chopin-mini-itx-chassis-with-150w-psu-black

They are about same size and price, but ISK110 is super old/ugly and come with front USB1(jk, USB2). Chopin has front USB3 and also come with better PSU(150W vs 90W).