Mini PC for streaming

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Tim Tim, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Tim Tim

Tim Tim New Member

Hi there!

I’m looking to buy (or have a crack at building for the sake of cost) a mini pc to stream content to my TV. I want something in small form to look simple and also run relatively quietly.

I realise most smart tv’s come with streaming apps installed, but my current tv is outdated so I don’t have a lot of them. I also want to replace my existing desktop (which is slowly dying) and just use my tv for basic pc stuff when I need to, i.e. emails, browsing, etc. I want to future proof as well for longevity.

I want it to be able to handle 4K, and I don’t need any storage. I won’t be using it for gaming either. I’m just after a barebones PC that can handle 4K streaming.

I’m budgeting in the $500-$700 range.

Side note: I’ve managed to replace a few parts on my existing pc, but have a very basic understanding of pc language and specs, so dumb it down for me!

mattress likes this.
  2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

If you just want to stream 4k and check emails, you can just get one of them android boxes.

Tim Tim likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Tim Tim

Tim Tim New Member

I hadn’t thought of them, never really looked at them before.
    I should have mentioned though, I’d still like to run Microsoft Office programs or similar and be able to manage photos/files too, probably onto an external drive or something.

4. Samicans

Samicans Member

perhaps an Optiplex with a 1650 or a 1050 would do the trick

5. connico

connico Member

Nvidia shield and be done with it mate

6. kogi

kogi Member

I've ordered a chuwi larkbox while it only about $200 AUD, probably not worth it now it's $339
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chuwi-larkbox-world-s-smallest-4k-mini-pc/x/23971648

But! GMK nucbox is going on preorder 25th , would work out to about $230 aud
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...-palm-sized-4k-mini-pc/coming_soon/x/23971648

reviews already on youtube for both those pc's

But for flexibility I would probably get an i3 cubi or a intel nuc
    something like this
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/bundle/...-BOXNUC8I3BEH4plusWDS240G2G0BplusKVR24S17S8-8
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/bundle/...ini-PC/842-Cubi-5-10M-037BAUplusSA2000M8-500G
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/bundle/...-Mini-PC/428-BOXNUC8I3BEH4plusSSDPEKNW512G8X1

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Blinky and Tim Tim like this.
  7. Blinky

Blinky Member

Did anybody get the GMK NucBox?

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

i run a few Intel nucs for 4K streaming and for my "home" non gaming office PC

9. Blinky

Blinky Member

NUCs or the above tiny NucBox?

I’ve got a few NUCs too, but not the tiny ones. If you’ve got a NucBox can I borrow one? I’ll pay for the postage of course.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

Not the tiny one I wish tho...

Blinky likes this.
  11. mattress

mattress New Member

Great thread. Exactly what I and a few other, non-tech mates have recently been speaking about.
    We all work and travel all over the world and want access to our home TV/streaming services. Android boxes are great but are hopeless when it comes to fooling servers via VPNs, and PCs seems to be the only consistent things that work.

So, what one would you choose? Based on specs and cost?

https://www.banggood.com/CHUWI-Core..._id=&msclkid=c00d2df9d16d1a975ae57206b3773df2

https://www.banggood.com/GMK-NucBOX..._id=&msclkid=6a28dd6e94b419cff9318291f63731eb

12. Blinky

Blinky Member

Damn Mattress, that’s an evil thing you did right there, it’s hard to choose when there is another, and another tiny thing jumping up in the sides of the banggood.com page! ;)

This is the one that came first I think, the Larkbox. The NucBox is a direct copy AFAIK.
    Pics to wow you with size comparison.

Tiny, tiny toys!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I shouldn’t shop today, I’m in too good of a mood after watching 10 Reps cross the floor in the U.S. :D:D:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    mattress likes this.
  13. kogi

kogi Member

Neither, use my trusty macbook air for travelling. :D. So unsure on how much CPU grunt you would need for 4k + VPN
    I will make some time over the weekend to test.

Blinky

My Larkbox runs great, there is a fan that can't decide between on or off, but it's not too loud. If it does go wrong, there are some horror stories in getting support from China

If you are not too hung up on size.

$323 , J4005 , 8gb ram 240gb ssd ( they also have the barebone at an $219 and other bundles)
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/di...uc7cjyh-nuc-celeron-8gb-ram-240gb-ssd-ac13233

Otherwise keep an search out on ebay for J5005
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Wy...786574?hash=item3dad9d84ce:g:gQoAAOSwgAZfap8a
    I paid that same guy $180 @ the end of 2019. Added a sata m.2 for about $40. Now they are my always on TV PC's

Other options

(Build your own itx box, make it a nas and PVR )
    https://cplonline.com.au/motherboar...4005i-c-oem-lowpower-fanless-motherboard.html

Blinky and mattress like this.
  14. mattress

mattress New Member

Incredible devices. I think I will get myself a Nucbox as the reviews are slightly higher.
    But, before I pull the trigger, I will have a look at what else Banggood have to offer.

15. mattress

mattress New Member

I have a laptop but I just want something a bit more 'fit for purpose' (that moniker will get shot down, I am sure) and less mobile.

I do like the mini-pc and Dell options you gave though. Probably more stable - size isn't the 'be all and end all' of my decision, it's just that the larkbox and nukbox are so damned small!

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Myne_h likes this.
  17. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yeah, I'm watching edit rooms cuttings of old Daleks from the BBC - it doesn't always have to make sense. That said, I am very grateful to all the extra offerings being posted, and am checking them out too. :)

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

As far as this part of the Question goes, my wasted day has come to this -> Don't buy that^ one.

In relation to the NUC7CJYH, don't buy that one. Just as kogi said, something using the 'refresh' chip (Intel Pentium Silver J5005) is the option to choose. Further to that, just as kogi said ...
    ... the 'Neither' option from the above quote is the good oil and I thank him for that.

I have spent a lot of time today getting up to speed, reviews, different forums, Intel tech sheets.
    Today's time has made feel very lucky to already own a few high-end 8 series NUC(s) {1 x NUC8i7BEH, 1 x NUC8i7HNK, 2 x NUC 8i7HVK} and going off of everything I have gleaned, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. ;)

This^ was in the race for a good while, but it didn't tick all the boxes. Still it was good to hit the bushes and see what flew out.

If the NucBox was cheaper, you know - maybe, but it's not.

A lot of time today was spent trying to remember where in the apartment my raspberry pi zero-w was located, that's how often it needs attention and it's so cheap. I wondered if the NucBox would be like that, if you could find a cheaper one than what is currently being offered.

NucBox 8GB RAM + 256 SSD

Then it happened, yes I revisited the link above^ and noticed that there was a special on at the moment $30usd off with the code ['NUCBOX256G'] and I thought for a bit, then crumpled and thought F-K_it and I was into the checkout cart filling out my details before I knew it.

For a change I didn't hit the PayPal-Express-Checkout button, instead I went the long way round using a credit card cuz I wanted to make sure the discount was applied.
    Mic_Drop moment, BOOM -> Total Amount $295.47 AUD!!!

So I walked a way ...

mattress and kogi like this.
  19. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Why? Don't you have a pc?

Horses for courses.
    The chromecast will be everything you want from a smart tv. Streaming apps like netflix, casting, no kb/mouse to fuck around with.

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    mattress and kogi like this.