Mini Project: Dream Big

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kinet1c, Nov 29, 2011.

1. kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Ok firstly I'd like to get it out that this is not a massive mod project and I will be finished fairly quickly as I knew what I wanted before I even purchased the parts and have the tools and skillls to attempt this very basic mod. It is also similar to miahallens build which inspired me to make a little teeny pc.

So on to the build, its, as I said, basic when it comes to how much it will stand out and how much it will "bench". But it will do exactly what I want it to do, which is be shit off tiny, game well, and have all my movies and junk on it.

The parts

[​IMG]

2500k - still in the post whizzing across the country so its not pictured, for obvious reasons.
    Asrock Z68m-itx - its gotta be small but that doesnt mean I dont want to overclock!
    Corsair Vengance 8gb dd3 kit - low profile and still heaps of ram, lovely.
    Scythe Shuriken rev. b - It will let me have a crack at overclocking and im aware that the mobo is fairly limited in how far the oc will go so this should be the right tool for the job so to speak.
    Silverstone SG-05 450w psu - The box that does not dazzle or inspire awe but does allow me to fit a bunch of junk in it and run anything/everything, also doesnt bitch and moan.

[​IMG]

And finally the gigabyte 6850 - the only part that survives into this new build from the old, it fits the case and handles games well enough for me.

[​IMG]
    beast.

Laid out is everything that was in the boxes, not much, just the way I wanted it.

[​IMG]

The first thing I did was strip the case and chuck the mobo in to really get a feel for the size of the thing, its not large.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then put the hdd cages back in to get an idea on clearances. Heaps of room actually, but I thought f#@k that I want my media local not on the network as 1 less thing powered up makes a happier power bill. Gonna be squeezing 3 3.5" hdds in here.

[​IMG]

Dropping the gpu in put me in doubt mode, its not a big card, but put something big next to something small and there you have it, know what I mean guys?

[​IMG]

So about putting 3 large hdds in there, doesnt look that hard after the original drive cages came back out just needed some home made brackets,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is as far as I got this arvo and is about all I can do anyway until the cpu gets here, then I can chuck it and the cooler in then hook it all up and see how it runs/stays cool/makes noise/ and most importantly, plays por... games.

There will be better pictures in the next post and will be the finished product at the end as I expect the cpu to be here tomorrow. Cable management will be absolute garbage until im happy that the psu will power this gear and i wont have to return/rma etc, then ill will cut and shut to the appropriate lengths as the stock lengths are just stupid long and you get a floppy power connector!

2. OP
    OP
    kinet1c

kinet1c Member

Ah how life gets in the way. Not much interest from anyone anyway but for the rest of the stalking internet the finished pictures.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Happy with the results and it is very snappy with 2 1tb seagates in RAID0 and another 2tb seagate for extra storage. Overclocking is really a non event for the moment as the board has a problem with throttling which is apparently fixed with heatsinks applied to the mosfets around the cpu which i will get to later. Its more than enough at stock for now playing all my games easily.

Click to view full size!

Temps are acceptable seeing as the hdds are cutting off the front intake fan a fair bit but they dont worry me. Its quiet, powerful and absolutely tiny so im happy with it.

Thanks for browsing.

Josh

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011